Follow us on social

Trump envoy Steve Witkoff

Did the White House help engineer a new siege of Gaza?

Reports say envoy Steve Witkoff is behind a new ‘ceasefire’ plan that led to the cut off of all humanitarian aid to the strip

Analysis | QiOSK

With phase one of the Gaza ceasefire’s lapse on Saturday, Israel has cut off goods and supplies from entering Gaza in a move an Israeli source said was “coordinated with the Trump administration."

Israel’s Sunday supplies halt is intended to pressure Hamas into accepting a last-minute proposal it says was engineered by Trump envoy Steve Witkoff. The Trump administration has yet to confirm it’s behind such a proposal, though it’s said it will back whatever actions Israel takes.

In a video announcing the move, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu thanked President Trump for supporting Israel, including its new goods and supplies halt. He also suggested “further steps” could be taken if Hamas doesn’t release the hostages.

“Israel has decided to stop letting goods and supplies into Gaza, something we've done for the past 42 days. We've done that because Hamas steals the supplies and prevents the people of Gaza from getting them,” Netanyahu alleged. “We will take further steps if Hamas continues to hold our hostages. And throughout this, Israel knows that America and President Trump have our back.”

“Thank you again, President Trump!”

Netanyahu said Hamas rejected the new, allegedly U.S. engineered, proposal. But while the original plan called for both sides to negotiate an exchange of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners, the new proposal does not mention a release of Palestinian prisoners by Israel. Further, a Hamas official told Drop Site News that Israel’s aid halt announcement came before the group could be briefed about the alleged Witkoff proposal.

Hamas called the move “cheap blackmail, a war crime and a blatant coup against the agreement” in a Sunday statement. Oxfam also called the supplies cut a “a reckless act of collective punishment.”

Hamas says Israel must abide by the original ceasefire terms and start phase two negotiations, which would facilitate an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and a final end to the war if successful.

In contrast, Israel has chosen to maintain IDF presence in a Egypt-Gaza border region it calls the Philadelphi corridor, in violation of the original ceasefire agreement which dictated that a corridor pull-out would have begun Saturday. According to Hamas, Israel has repeatedly violated the ceasefire with various attacks in Gaza, reportedly killing 116 Palestinians during what should be a truce.

Meanwhile, with the ceasefire and related negotiations on thin ice, the Trump administration expedited $4 billion in military aid to Israel over the weekend.


Top image credit: Steve Witkoff, the special envoy to the Middle East, makes an appearance moments before President Donald J. Trump holds a joint news conference at the White House with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on February 4, 2025. (Photo by Joshua Sukoff/MNS/Sipa USA)
Analysis | QiOSK
Friedrich Merz
Top photo credit: German Prime Minister-in-waiting Friedrich Merz (Shutterstock.Penofoto)

German leaders miscalculated popular will for war spending

Europe

Recent polls show the center right Christian Democrats (CDU-CSU) headed by prospective chancellor Friedrich Merz losing ground against the populist right Alternative for Germany (AfD), even before the new government has been formed.

The obvious explanation is widespread popular dissatisfaction with last month’s vote pressed through the outgoing parliament by the CDU-CSU and presumptive coalition partner the SPD (with the Greens) to allow unlimited increases in defense spending. This entailed disabling the constitutional “debt brake” introduced in 2009 to curb deficits and public debt.

keep readingShow less
Bernie Sanders Chris Van Hollen
Top image credit: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) speaks during a press conference regarding legislation that would block offensive U.S. weapons sales to Israel, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., November 19, 2024. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
Will Senate vote signal a wider shift away from Israel?

Can Bernie stop billions in new US weapons going to Israel?

Middle East

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and National Security Advisor Mike Waltz have been roundly criticized for the security lapse that put journalist Jeffrey Goldberg into a Signal chat where administration officials discussed bombing Houthi forces in Yemen, to the point where some, like Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) have called for their resignations.

But the focus on the process ignores the content of the conversation, and the far greater crime of continuing to provide weapons that are inflaming conflicts in the Middle East and enabling Israel’s war on Gaza, which has resulted in the deaths of over 50,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians.

keep readingShow less
Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?
Top Image Credit: The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), foreground, leads a formation of Carrier Strike Group Five ships as Air Force B-52 Stratofortress aircraft and Navy F/A-18 Hornet aircraft pass overhead for a photo exercise during Valiant Shield 2018 in the Philippine Sea Sept. 17, 2018. The biennial, U.S. only, field-training exercise focuses on integration of joint training among the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. This is the seventh exercise in the Valiant Shield series that began in 2006. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erwin Miciano)

Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?

QiOSK

U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted an airstrike in Somalia against ISIS targets on Saturday, killing “multiple ISIS-Somalia operatives.” It was the eighth such strike in the short time that Trump has been in office, reflecting a quiet, but deadly American campaign in a part, of the world that remains far below the public radar.

“AFRICOM, alongside the Federal Government of Somalia and Somali Armed Forces, continues to take action to degrade ISIS-Somalia's ability to plan and conduct attacks that threaten the U.S. homeland, our forces, and our civilians abroad,” a Sunday AFRICOM press release stated.

keep readingShow less

Trump transition

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.