Follow us on social

Shutterstock_1368689957-scaled

Defense industry CEOs face tough questions at Politico conference ... from a protester

The event’s sponsors were given a prominent platform to sell the military industrial complex without any official scrutiny.

Reporting | Media

Politico’s national security and foreign policy coverage took some heat late last year for being sponsored in part by the defense industry, and the Beltway media outlet leaned into its relationship with weapons makers this week by prominently featuring industry leaders at its 2022 Defense Summit in Washington. 

Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and another less well-known firm, Improbable U.S. Defense & National Security, sponsored the Summit. But the companies’ names were not just displayed prominently at the Summit and on its website — as is somewhat usual for this kind of event — Politico also gave a representative from each company a prominent role in the Summit by participating in what it dubbed “executive conversations.” 

Except the three panels were less conversational and more infomercial, as the Politico interviewer in each appeared to rattle off a series of scripted questions that let the companies explain why their products are necessary for the defense of the United States. It was essentially similar to sponsored content one might see on some mainstream news websites. 

Politico CEO Goli Sheikholeslami was tasked with shepherding Lockheed’s ads with leading questions for its CEO, Jim Taiclet. Sheikholeslami teed up Taiclet’s talking points about a dangerous world with China as the focus, Taiclet’s “frontline perspective,” a reference to his military service, the inhibiting nature of continuing resolutions on military contracts, and Lockheed’s future outlook. Taiclet argued that the Pentagon needed a parallel funding pipeline, “a swim lane,” so that the defense industry could make its products faster. "That is the only way we are going to keep up with the Chinese,” he said.

Politico’s vice president for client partnerships and paid media Heidi Sommer later gave Improbable president and general manager Caitlin Dohrman many opportunities to tell us “about this technology that you all have been pioneering.” In response to Sommer’s questions, Dohrman appeared to be reading her answers directly from a notebook she had on stage. 

Lastly, Cally Baute, Politico’s senior vice president for consumer business spoke with Raytheon president Wes Kremer. Baute praised Raytheon’s hypersonic weapons as “game changers for the military,” and provided Kremer with many opportunities to say why the U.S. military needs Raytheon’s products. 

The only scrutiny any of these defense firms received was from a protester during Taiclet’s “executive conversation.” She crashed the stage holding a sign that read, “Lockheed Loves War,” saying that the company is “a war profiteer.”  

“The U.S. military is the largest polluter in the entire history of the world,” the protester said. “You’re guilty and the whole world knows it. There’s no place for you in our future.” 

“Don’t be rough with her,” Taiclet can be heard telling the security as they ushered the protester off the stage. 

After the scene ended, neither Sheikholeslami nor Taiclet acknowledged what had just happened. 

“So, you were talking about the budget process,” Sheikholeslami said. 


Editorial credit: Serhii Yevdokymov / Shutterstock.com
Reporting | Media
 Abdel Fattah al-Burhan Sudan
Top image credit: Sudan's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan gestures to soldiers inside the presidential palace after the Sudanese army said it had taken control of the building, in the capital Khartoum, Sudan March 26, 2025. Sudan Transitional Sovereignty Council/Handout via REUTERS

Saudi Arabia chooses sides in Sudan's civil war

Africa

In the final days of Ramadan, before Mecca's Grand Mosque, Sudan's de facto president and army chief, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan knelt in prayer beside Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman. Al-Burhan had arrived in the kingdom just two days after his troops dealt a significant blow to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), recapturing the capital Khartoum after two years of civil war. Missing from the frame was the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the Gulf power that has backed al-Burhan’s rivals in Sudan’s civil war with arms, mercenaries, and political cover.

The scene captured the essence of a deepening rift between Saudi Arabia and the UAE — once allies in reshaping the Arab world, now architects of competing visions for Sudan and the region.

For two years, Sudan has been enveloped in chaos. The conflict that erupted in April 2023 between the Sudanese Armed forces (SAF) and the RSF, led by General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo "Hemedti," has inflicted immense suffering: an estimated 150,000 killed, allegations of mass atrocities staining both sides but particularly the RSF in Darfur, 12 million displaced, and over half the population facing acute food insecurity.

keep readingShow less
Donald Trump Massad Boulos
Top image credit: Republican presidential nominee and former U.S. President Donald Trump is joined by Massad Boulos, who was recently named as a 'senior advisor to the President on Arab and Middle Eastern Affairs,' during a campaign stop at the Great Commoner restaurant in Dearborn, Michigan, U.S., on November 1, 2024. REUTERS/Brian Snyder/File Photo

Trump tasks first time envoy with the most complex Africa conflict

Africa

As the war between the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and allied militias against the Rwandan-backed M23 rebel group continues, the Trump administration is reportedly tapping Massad Boulos as the State Department’s special envoy to the African Great Lakes region.

In this capacity, Boulos will be responsible for leading the American diplomatic effort to bring long-desired stability to the region and to end a conflict that has been raging in the eastern DRC for decades.

keep readingShow less
Sens. Paul and Merkley to Trump: Are we 'stumbling' into another war?
Top photo credit: Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky) (Gage Skidmore /Creative Commons) and Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) )( USDA photo by Preston Keres)

Sens. Paul and Merkley to Trump: Are we 'stumbling' into another war?

QiOSK

Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) have co-written a letter to the White House, demanding to know the administration’s strategy behind the now-18 days of airstrikes against the Houthis in Yemen.

The letter calls into question the supposed intent of these strikes “to establish deterrence,” acknowledging that neither the Biden administration’s strikes in October 2023, nor the years-long bombing campaign by Saudi Arabia from 2014 to 2020, were successful in debilitating the military organization's military capabilities.

keep readingShow less

Trump transition

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.