Follow us on social

google cta
Biden greenlit Israel’s strikes in Lebanon, says former Israeli diplomat

Biden greenlit Israel’s strikes in Lebanon, says former Israeli diplomat

The former ambassador said his government reached 'side understandings' with Washington to continue bombing Hezbollah

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The Biden administration reached “side understandings” to allow Israel to continue bombing targets in Lebanon despite a ceasefire reached late last year, according to Michael Herzog, who was then serving as Israel’s ambassador to the U.S.

Herzog revealed the handshake deal, which had not previously been confirmed, during a Friday panel at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. One key result of the agreement, which Herzog helped negotiate, was maintaining Israel’s “freedom of action against threats” when other parties are “unwilling or incapable” of containing them, he said. “That was achieved through side understandings with the government of the United States,” Herzog said. “And it’s been implemented in Lebanon.”

The revelation helps explain why the U.S. has stayed relatively quiet over the last year about alleged Israeli ceasefire violations, including near daily airstrikes and commando raids against what Israel claims are Hezbollah-related sites in southern Lebanon. These attacks, which have killed at least 100 Lebanese civilians, seem to represent a far cry from the “permanent cessation of hostilities” that President Joe Biden claimed would follow the ceasefire.

Rumors of such a deal have circulated over the past year following Israeli media reports about the existence of a “side letter” allowing Israel to “defend itself” against threats in Lebanon provided that Israeli forces notify the U.S. in advance. But Herzog’s comments appear to represent the first official confirmation of the secret agreement — and the clearest indication yet that Israel views the side deal as giving it carte blanche to continue its unilateral air campaign against Hezbollah.

Herzog did not explicitly say whether these “side understandings” remain in place under the Trump administration, which, like the Biden administration, has largely ignored alleged Israeli violations of the ceasefire.

Herzog’s comments also provide fresh insights ahead of the visit of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa to Washington next week, when he will meet with President Donald Trump and discuss, among other things, the possibility of a Syria-Israel security agreement. Israel would “like to apply” a similar side agreement to any deal with Syria, according to the former Israeli ambassador. “It’s important for Israelis to know that they can maintain freedom of action,” Herzog said.


Top image credit: Ambassador to U.S. Michael Herzog welcomes Secretary of State Antony Blinken upon his arrival at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday Oct. 12, 2023. President Joe Biden is dispatching his top diplomat to Israel on an urgent mission to show U.S. support after the unprecedented attack by Hamas militants. Jacquelyn Martin/Pool via REUTERS
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.