Follow us on social

52386946699_f0e66e8b78_o-scaled

Many Biden officials previously supported Yemen War Powers resolution

The White House is lobbying Senators to vote against the measure, but most of the president's top aides backed it in the Trump era.

Reporting | Middle East

UPDATE: 12/14 6 a.m. EST: Sen. Bernie Sanders pulled the Yemen resolution Tuesday night from a vote, stating he would instead enter into negotiations for compromise language with the Biden Administration, which opposed the bill as-is, according to the Intercept.

“I’m not going to ask for a vote tonight,” Sanders said, according to the Intercept. “I look forward to working with the administration who is opposed to this resolution and see if we can come up with something that is strong and effective. If we do not, I will be back."

_____________________________________________________

This morning, the Intercept’s Ryan Grim reported that the Biden administration is urging Senators to vote against the Yemen War Powers resolution that the Senate is expected to vote on later this evening. According to Grim, “The White House is arguing that a vote in favor is unnecessary because, despite the lapse of the ceasefire, significant hostilities have not yet resumed, and the vote will complicate diplomacy.” Grim later reported on Twitter that White House staff would urge the president to veto the bill if it does pass. 

The bill would restrict U.S. involvement in hostilities in Yemen and reassert Congress’s warmaking authority. The bill has the support of members on both sides of the aisle, including Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), and, reportedly, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) 

But Grim’s reports demonstrate a pronounced shift among Biden officials as key members of the administration, including Secretary of State Antony Blinken, CIA Director Avril Haines, national security adviser Jake Sullivan, deputy national security adviser Jon Finer, and Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman, signed letters during the Trump years calling for an end to the U.S. role in the war in Yemen. 

The first letter, released in November 2018 — the letter that includes Blinken and Haines — was signed exclusively by former Obama administration officials and acknowledged that the approach in the Obama years “did not succeed in limiting and ultimately ending the war,” and that “rather than learning from that failure, the Trump administration has doubled down on support for the Saudi leadership’s prosecution of the war ...[t]he results have been devastating.” 

The letter concluded “now, we must cease support altogether.”

After Trump vetoed a Yemen War Powers resolution passed by Congress in April 2019, a second letter later that year — signed by Sullivan, Sherman and current Biden officials Susan Rice and Samantha Power — urged members of Congress to use the opportunity presented by the NDAA vote to effectively override the veto. The letter called the war in Yemen “a constitutional matter facing Congress that may be unparalleled in its potential impact on millions of human lives.”

The situation on the ground may have changed since then, but the UN-brokered truce expired in October, and experts say the United States must do what it can to prevent human suffering and a return to all-out war. “If it doesn't pass,” the Quincy Institute’s Annelle Sheline told Politico’s NatSec Daily referring to the current Yemen WPR, “I think the greater danger is that the Saudis could restart airstrikes and/or prevent flights and fuel ships. Most of the civilian casualties at this point are from insufficient food, water and medical care, due to the Saudis destroying Yemen's infrastructure.”

Indeed, twoDemocratic members of the House wrote in The Nation earlier this year that “[a]s a candidate, President Biden pledged to end support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen while many who now serve as senior officials in his administration repeatedly called for shutting down precisely the activities the US is engaged in that enable Saudi Arabia’s brutal offensive.”

Editors’ note: Current Iran Envoy for the Biden administration Rob Malley, who is related to this author, also signed both letters.


President Joe Biden confers with National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan during a phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Thursday, August 25, 2022, in the Oval Office. (Official White House Photo by Adam Schultz)
Reporting | Middle East
Afghanistan withdrawal
Lloyd Austin, Kenneth McKenzie, and Mark Milley in 2021. (MSNBC screengrab)

Turns out leaving Afghanistan did not unleash terror on US or region

Military Industrial Complex

It will be four years since the U.S. withdrew from Afghanistan on Aug. 30, 2021, ending a nearly 20-year occupation that could serve as a poster child for mission creep.

What began in October 2001 as a narrow intervention to destroy al-Qaeda, the terrorist group that perpetrated the 9/11 attacks, and topple the Taliban government for refusing to hand over al-Qaeda’s leader, Osama bin Laden, morphed into an open-ended nation-building operation that killed 2,334 U.S. military personnel and wounded over 20,000 more.

keep readingShow less
Francois Bayrou Emmanuel Macron
Top image credit: France's Prime Minister Francois Bayrou arrives to hear France's President Emmanuel Macron deliver a speech to army leaders at l'Hotel de Brienne in Paris on July 13, 2025, on the eve of the annual Bastille Day Parade in the French capital. LUDOVIC MARIN/Pool via REUTERS

Europe facing revolts, promising more guns with no money

Europe

If you wanted to create a classic recipe for political crisis, you could well choose a mixture of a stagnant economy, a huge and growing public debt, a perceived need radically to increase military spending, an immigration crisis, a deeply unpopular president, a government without a majority in parliament, and growing radical parties on the right and left.

In other words, France today. And France’s crisis is only one part of the growing crisis of Western Europe as a whole, with serious implications for the future of transatlantic relations.

keep readingShow less
Starmer Macron Merz
Top image credit: France's President Emmanuel Macron, Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Germany's Chancellor Friedrich Merz arrive at Kyiv railway station on May 10, 2025, ahead of a gathering of European leaders in the Ukrainian capital. LUDOVIC MARIN/Pool via REUTERS

Europe's snapback gamble risks killing diplomacy with Iran

Middle East

Europe appears set to move from threats to action. According to reports, the E3 — Britain, France, and Germany — will likely trigger the United Nations “snapback” process this week. Created under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal (JCPOA), this mechanism allows any participant to restore pre-2015 U.N. sanctions if Iran is judged to be in violation of its commitments.

The mechanism contains a twist that makes it so potent. Normally, the Security Council operates on the assumption that sanctions need affirmative consensus to pass. But under snapback, the logic is reversed. Once invoked, a 30-day clock begins. Sanctions automatically return unless the Security Council votes to keep them suspended, meaning any permanent member can force their reimposition with a single veto.

keep readingShow less

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.