Follow us on social

google cta
Screen-shot-2021-10-27-at-9.57.56-am

Weapons execs lament losses from Afghanistan exit, tout DOD budget increase

Raytheon's CEO says Congress's military allotment is more ‘aligned’ with the company’s business interests.

Analysis | Military Industrial Complex
google cta
google cta

Speaking to investors on Tuesday, two of the biggest U.S. weapons manufacturers provided estimates on how the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, a war that cost U.S. taxpayers over $2 trillion and took over 243,000 lives, impacted their bottom lines. Both companies also expressed enthusiasm about a bipartisan push to increase the 2022 defense budget by $29.3 billion, a five percent increase over the 2021 budget and more than $10 billion more than President Biden requested.

Approximately half of the defense budget goes to contractors like Lockheed Martin and Raytheon, both of whom explained to investors how the end of a 20 year war will impact their profits while still painting a rosy picture of ballooning defense spending driving corporate revenue and padding the bottomline for shareholders.

Raytheon CEO Gregory Hayes, who took home nearly $21 million in compensation last year, acknowledged that the end of a war was bad for the bottomline, telling investors:

Yeah. So the lost sales on the defense side, I would category — three categories of issues there. One, I think the pullout in Afghanistan, there's about a $75 million impact to full year revenue, not huge but meaningful.

But Hayes might be bullish on his long-term business prospects, despite the “not huge but meaningful” financial hit from the end of a 20 year war.

Earlier in the call, the weapons executive boasted about bipartisan support for boosting the defense budget above what the White House requested. “[As] we've said, defense spending is nonpartisan, and we're encouraged to see Congress supporting plus ups to the president's budget that are also aligned to our business and our investments in new technologies,” said Hayes, offering an unusual interpretation of the bipartisan motivation to boost defense spending.

Hayes’s assessment that the budget was “aligned” with his business and financial interests instead of national security priorities like climate change, which the Pentagon and the White House identify as existential national security threats, is a moment of candor from the weapons industry. The alignment of the defense budget with the business needs of for-profit-weapons-firms might not be a total coincidence. The weapons industry spent over $1 billion lobbying Congress between 2002 and 2020 while government funding of the top five weapons firms grew by 188 percent

Raytheon’s optimism about future profits fueled by ballooning defense budgets was shared by Lockheed Martin on its own earnings call conducted on the same day. Lockheed’s CFO acknowledged that the Afghanistan withdrawal created “a $200 million year-over-year headwind,” referring to the negative financial impact on the company from the withdrawal.

But Lockheed CEO James Taiclet, who received over $23 million in compensation last year, was quick to pin his company’s future profits to, among other factors, “the size of future defense budgets and the global geopolitical landscape.”

In other words, a defense budget that exceeds the White House’s requests and a geopolitical landscape defined by great power competition — a state of affairs that Taiclet previously used to justify Lockheed’s consolidation of the missile engine market despite concerns by antitrust regulators — is central to the company’s growth. 

Much like Raytheon’s CEO, Lockheed’s CFO spoke optimistically about the defense budget increases, not in terms of U.S. national security, but in relation to the company’s financial wellbeing, telling shareholders, “I'd say we're encouraged about the direction of the various committee markups as they reflect really good support for a number of our programs.”


Images: Casimiro PT and Daniel J. Macy via shutterstock.com
google cta
Analysis | Military Industrial Complex
Marco Rubio Munich Security Conference
Top photo credit: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio waves, next to Chairman of the Munich Security Conference Wolfgang Ischinger, as he gets a standing ovation after his speech at the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. Alex Brandon/Pool via REUTERS

Rubio's spoonful of sugar helps hard medicine go down in Munich

Europe


U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in the Munich Security Conference this weekend to sooth transatlantic anxieties. After Vice President J.D. Vance's criticisms of the old continent in 2025, the European dignitaries were looking for a more conventional American performance.

What they got was a peculiar mix of primacist nostalgia and civilizational foreboding, with an explicit desire to forge a path of restoration together.

keep readingShow less
Viktor Orban Peter Magyar
Top photo credit: Viktor Orbán (shutterstock/photoibo) and Peter Magyar (Shutterstock/Istvan Csak)

Could this be the election that brings Hungary's Orban down?

Europe

With two months remaining before the April 12 parliamentary elections, Hungary’s Prime Minister Victor Orban and his Fidesz party face by far their toughest challenge since winning power in 2010.

Many polls show challenger Peter Magyar’s Tisza (Respect and Freedom) party with a substantial lead. Orban’s campaign has responded by stressing his international clout, including close relations with U.S. President Donald Trump, and the prominent role he plays among right-populist Eurosceptics in Europe.

keep readingShow less
Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.
Top photo credit: Members of the media raise their hands to ask questions as U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (not pictured) hold a joint press conference in the State Dining Room at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., September 29, 2025. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.

Middle East

When the George W. Bush administration invaded Iraq in March 2003, that war had 72% support among Americans, according to Gallup.

If Donald Trump now wants to start a U.S. war with Iran, the president would not remotely enjoy that level of support. He doesn’t even have half of it. Scratch that, not even a quarter of Americans want him to bomb Iran today.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.