Follow us on social

google cta
Aid workers killed, casting shadow over US pier project

Aid workers killed, casting shadow over US pier project

Chef Jose Andrés' World Central Kitchen has suspended operations after bringing tons of food to the Gaza coast

Analysis | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

UPDATE 4/3 6:45 a.m. EST: White House National Security Spokesman John Kirby, when asked by reporters how Monday's killing of aid workers delivering food from the maritime corridor might affect the U.S. military's own planned aid surge, said troop safety was paramount to the mission.

“We’re well aware that Gaza is a war zone, and frankly that is what makes it so challenging to get humanitarian aid to people in need there,” Kirby said Tuesday.

“Protection of our troops … will be first and foremost on the president’s mind, as well as our military leaders, to make sure that they can build that pier, assemble it and operate it in a safe way.”

UPDATE 4/2 8:50 a.m. EST: Israel defense sources are now confirming their responsibility for three consecutive air strikes that left seven Word Central Kitchen aid workers dead on Monday night.

Several aid workers from an internationally recognized private aid organization that would no doubt be a key player in Washington’s maritime humanitarian aid project were blown away and killed by Israeli forces yesterday after bringing food to warehouses on the Gazan coast.

According to reports based in part on video footage, seven individuals working for World Central Kitchen, all wearing protective gear with the organization's logo displayed, were killed by an airstrike while “leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse, where the team had unloaded more than 100 tons of humanitarian food aid brought to Gaza on the maritime route,” according to Erin Gore, CEO of the charity, which was founded by celebrity Chef Jose Andrés and is responsible for delivering millions of meals to Gazans since the war began.

Gore said the charity had coordinated its movements with the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). The Israeli military expressed “sincere sorrow” for the deaths but did not take direct responsibility. It says it has launched an investigation at the “highest levels” into the matter.

The charity, which in the last several weeks has delivered hundreds of tons of food in two shipments and offloaded it onto a makeshift jetty it helped to build on the Gazan beach, is suspending its operations in the country. Andrés, whose charity has delivered meals to conflict and disaster zones all over the world, said it was not the first time its workers had been attacked in Gaza.

So what does this bode for the U.S. troops who will be building a causeway just off the beach in order to bring aid — much of it supplied by major aid organizations like World Kitchen — into Gaza in the near future? The project is supposed to be finished in mid-May, though the ships haven’t yet arrived in the region to start building the infrastructure for it. The details of who will be providing the security for the operation (since President Biden has insisted no troops will be on the ground) are sketchy, and lawmakers and even former military officers are expressing concern. Unconfirmed reports suggest the IDF will be securing the area, others say private contractors will be filling gaps.

After what happened yesterday, should it make anyone feel better that the Israelis may be overseeing an operation in which American personnel are building/manning a causeway and directing aid shipments in what is essentially a combat zone?

Jerry Hendrix, a retired naval officer and senior fellow at the Sagamore Institute, told the Washington Post this week that the causeway will be “highly vulnerable,” calling the plan “stupid.”

“There’s so much downside risk on this for what I think is relatively small upside in terms of potential to relieve the supply shortage and food shortage in the area,” Hendrix said.

Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr., chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Biden’s top military adviser, when asked about the security of the project last week said that personnel safety is “at the top of the list anytime we put our forces any place in harm’s way.”

Viewing the bloody passports of its workers, World Kitchen officials likely felt the same way about its personnel.

"I am heartbroken and grieving for their families and friends and our whole WCK family," Andrés later wrote in a social media post. "These are people … angels … I served alongside in Ukraine, Gaza, Turkey, Morocco, Bahamas, Indonesia. They are not faceless … they are not nameless."


A Palestinian inspects near a vehicle where employees from the World Central Kitchen (WCK), including foreigners, were killed in an Israeli airstrike, according to the NGO as the Israeli military said it was conducting a thorough review at the highest levels to understand the circumstances of this "tragic" incident, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, in Deir Al-Balah, in the central Gaza, Strip April 2, 2024. REUTERS/Ahmed Zakot

google cta
Analysis | QiOSK
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.