Follow us on social

google cta
Diplomacy Watch Donald Trump Putin Zelensky

Diplomacy Watch: The White House now wielding ultimatums

Both Zelenskyy and Putin were on the receiving end of Trump’s ire this week

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The Trump administration has threatened to move on from negotiations to end the war in Ukraine after less than enthusiastic signals from Ukrainian leadership for President Trump’s plan for peace and Russia’s continued attacks on civilians in Ukraine.

Trump reportedly presented the plan to both parties earlier in the week, and afterward stated that Russian President Vladimir Putin was ready to accept the deal, but Ukrainian President Volodomyr Zelenskyy was resisting, which left Trump “frustrated.”

“I think we have a deal with Russia,” Trump told reporters, while indicating that Zelenskyy has been “harder” to convince.

For his part, Zelenskyy told reporters he opposed the plan’s purported recognition of Russia’s annexation of Crimea, saying that it “violated our Constitution. This is our territory, the territory of Ukraine,” said Zelenskyy. Trump responded by stating that rejecting the deal would only “prolong the ‘killing field.’”

Whether Ukraine can legally recognize Russia’s annexation of Crimea may not matter, as the Trump team asserted that the United States could recognize Russia’s de jure annexation of Crimea without Ukraine having to do so as well.

Meanwhile, Trump is also criticizing Putin, and just not for his reaction to the peace deal. The Russian president was on the receiving end of Trump’s social media ire after Russia launched a deadly wave of attacks on Kyiv.

In its largest attack on the Ukrainian capital since last summer, Russia launched 70 missiles and 145 drones mainly towards Ukraine’s capital, claiming at least 12 lives and injuring 90 more.

“I am not happy with the Russian strikes on KYIV. Not necessary, and very bad timing. Vladimir, STOP! 5000 soldiers a week are dying. Let’s get the Peace Deal DONE!” the president said in a post on Truth Social.

“The Ukrainians have to go back home, they have to run it by their president, they have to take into account their views on all of this,” Secretary of State Marco Rubio said of the plan. “But we need to figure out here now, within a matter of days, whether this is doable in the short term. Because if it’s not, then I think we’re just going to move on.”

Vice President JD Vance held a similar position when questioned by reporters. “We’ve issued a very explicit proposal to both the Russians and the Ukrainians, and it’s time for them to either say yes or for the United States to walk away from this process,” he said.

Anatol Lieven, Director of the Quincy Institute’s Eurasia Program, said that if Washington moves on, “Ukraine will have placed itself in a terribly precarious situation, and West European countries may face a choice between deep humiliation and immense danger. For if U.S. aid is withdrawn, Ukraine’s ability to hold its present line would be greatly reduced, and the chances of a Russian breakthrough greatly increased.”

Other Ukraine War News This Week

Al Jazeera reports that Putin is ready for direct talks with Zelenskyy. The Russian president told Russian TV that he has a “positive attitude towards any peace initiatives.” Zelenskyy indicated that Ukraine would be willing to participate in direct talks after the Easter truce expired. Neither side has held direct talks since February 2022.

Russia’s top security official, Sergei Shoigu indicated on Thursday that Russia could use nuclear weapons if Western nations acted aggressively toward Moscow. According to Reuters, Shoigu said that Russia’s amended nuclear doctrine would allow Moscow to consider a nuclear strike if Russia or Belarus received a conventional strike from an enemy that “created a critical threat to their sovereignty and (or) their territorial integrity.”

Zelenskyy has met with South African President Cyril Ramaphosa to discuss improving trade and ending the war. Al Jazeera reports that the Ukrainian president cut his visit to Pretoria short due to Moscow’s strikes on Kyiv. South Africa has remained neutral on the conflict, pushing for dialogue between parties.

From the State Department briefing on April 22nd:

During questioning by reporters, spokesperson Tammy Bruce confirmed that General Kellogg would participate in the most recent round of negotiations with Moscow, and that Secretary of State Rubio and Special Envoy Witkoff were not guaranteed to do so.

She also indicated that President Trump is optimistic about the potential to solve the Russia-Ukraine war diplomatically. “Both the Secretary (of State) and the President have said that this cannot be won militarily, and so they want diplomacy to work,” she told reporters.


Top Photo Credit: Diplomacy Watch (Khody Akhavi)
Diplomacy Watch: Minerals deal to occur next week
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
Bill White Belgium
Top photo credit: US ambassador to Belgium Bill White talks to the press after a meeting at the offices of the Foreign Affairs department of the Federal Government in Brussels, Tuesday 17 February 2026. BELGA PHOTO MARIUS BURGELMAN

US diplomat accuses Belgian officials of anti-semitism on X

QiOSK

A number of Donald Trump's ambassadors have very questionable experience for the jobs they are doing. That is not unusual — presidents throughout history have given out posts as favors for fundraising or other political or personal supports. The problem with some of these diplomats is they seem to forget they actually have a job to do — and it's not ingratiating the boss by insulting his host country because they think that is what the boss wants to hear.

Case in point: Bill White, who worked for and ran a museum for the USS Intrepid before quitting abruptly amid a pay-for-pay state pension scandal for which he eventually paid a $1 million settlement in 2010. He used to raise money for Democrats. Then he shifted to raising money for Trump in 2016 and was installed as Trump's ambassador to Belgium four months ago. It's not going so well.

keep readingShow less
New US cluster bombs pose ‘severe, foreseeable dangers’
Top image credit: A US soldier carries a 155mm cluster munition

New US cluster bombs pose ‘severe, foreseeable dangers’

Military Industrial Complex

A coalition of human rights organizations, anti-war groups, and Christian churches are urging the U.S. to cancel its $210 million purchase of next-generation cluster munitions from an Israeli state-owned company, citing the “severe, foreseeable dangers” these weapons pose to civilians.

In an open letter shared exclusively with RS, the organizations write that cluster munitions “disperse submunitions across broad areas, making it exceedingly difficult to confine their impact to lawful military targets.” By expanding its cluster munitions stockpiles, the U.S. is putting itself “dramatically out of step with civilian protection practices,” the groups argue.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.