Follow us on social

google cta
Gaza

Admin asked if US approves Gaza annex plan, says go ask Israel

As Jerusalem looks to change war tactics, Washington defers

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

As reports bubble that Jerusalem is mulling annexing the Gaza Strip, the State Department is once again deferring to Israel.

RS asked the State Department Tuesday to confirm Haaretz reporting from Monday, where Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu said that the administration approved possible plans to annex the Gaza Strip. The State Department Press Office responded simply, via email: “We’d refer you to Israeli officials.”

Al Monitor reported Tuesday that Israeli officials visited Washington to consult with the Trump administration to discuss the idea, along with over several possible proposals for Gaza’s future.

But U.S. support of such plans, including the annexation scheme, remain unclear.

Haaretz reported that Netanyahu told Israeli ministers that the Trump administration supports an annexation plan, where the Israeli Prime Minister said Ron Dermer, Israel's Minister for Strategic Affairs, shared the plan with U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio. Asked Thursday whether the U.S. would support Israel annexing Gaza, State Department Deputy Spokesperson Tommy Pigott simply said, “I’m not going to speculate or preview where these discussions may go.”

The annexation murmurs come amid growing international outrage over Israel’s ongoing blockade resulting in starvation of the Gaza Strip — and comments from people like Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), that signal there may soon be a major shift in Israeli strategy.

On Sunday, Graham suggested Israel would ramp up its military offensive against Gaza in a manner comparable to U.S. military actions during the Second World War, after which the territory could be given over to other Arabs to control. “They’re going to do in Gaza what we did in Tokyo and Berlin. Take the place by force and start over again, presenting a better future for the Palestinians, hopefully having the Arabs take over the West Bank and Gaza,” Graham said.

Ominously, Netanyahu himself wrote on X last week that, "together with our U.S. allies, we are now considering alternative options to bring our hostages home, end Hamas's terror rule, and secure lasting peace for Israel and our region.” In that statement, he stressed that “Hamas is the obstacle to a hostage release deal.”

Netanyahu did not clarify what those “alternative options” were.


Top Image Credit: Palestinians walk next to destroyed buildings and pools with stagnant water in Khan Yunis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on July 19, 2024. Editorial credit: Anas-Mohammed / Shutterstock.com
Palestinians walk next to destroyed buildings and pools with stagnant water in Khan Yunis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on July 19, 2024. Editorial credit: Anas-Mohammed / Shutterstock.com
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.