Follow us on social

 Netanyahu Ben Gvir

Israel's military is taking over Gaza City, and you'll be paying for it.

White House has been eerily muted on what could be the deadliest turning point in the war

Reporting | QiOSK

The Israeli security cabinet approved a plan early Friday for the military takeover Gaza City, which is the largest population center in the strip — at least it was before Oct. 7 — stopping short of plans to take over the entire enclave.

The implications are huge. Until now, the IDF has been largely engaged in an air war to destroy the perpetrators of the Oct. 7 attacks killing more than 61,000 Gazans, mostly civilians (the toll is likely much higher), injuring hundreds of thousands, destroying 70% of civilian infrastructure and the healthcare system, and blockading the territory leading to mass starvation and more death. But there are still live hostages and Hamas is still operating so this new strategy is supposed to resolve that.

While Israel controls most of the movement on the strip through this air war, this new step would mean putting boots on the ground to control an entire city. Experts including IDF officials say this kind of campaign is nuts. Israel's mostly reservist forces have been stretched and traumatized, the economy too, and protests are starting to rage in the Israeli streets for an end to the war.

A takeover of Gaza, even just its biggest city for now, would put more troops at risk with the invitation of guerrilla warfare, more Gazans will be forced to migrate again from makeshift shelters, more will die. There is no confidence anywhere that Israel wants to bring more food and other assistance into the enclave. Far right leaders have all but said they want to starve the people, expel them from the land. They've already said the quiet part out loud and they hold the most important cards in Benjamin Netanyahu's government right now.

The German government has responded by halting all arms exports to Israel for use in Gaza. “Under these circumstances, the German government will, until further notice, not approve any exports of military equipment that could be used in the Gaza Strip,” Merz said in a government press release, adding that he did not think the military operation will achieve Israel's goals of defeating Hamas and securing the hostages. If anything, critics say, those living hostages are in even more peril now.

The UK has also weighed in this morning. “The Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its offensive in Gaza is wrong, and we urge it to reconsider immediately,” British prime minister Keir Starmer said in a statement. “This action will do nothing to bring an end to this conflict or to help secure the release of the hostages. It will only bring more bloodshed."

So what about the United States, which has largely financed the war with its $4 million a year in military assistance and more than $22 billion since 2023? Trump has reportedly given the green light for Netanyahu's plans, but nothing official has come out of the White House as of this morning.

Trump did say that it was "pretty much up to Israel" when asked by a reporter earlier this week, and said the U.S. would be taking over the humanitarian aid there. His ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, said Washington would be increasing the number of aid hubs by the Global Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) from 4 to 16 which is a nightmare waiting to happen. American contractors, reportedly armed with guns carrying armor-piercing ammunition, are used to manage and security those sites. Over 1,000 desperate Gazans have already been killed there, presumably mostly by IDF, given witness testimony. Contractors who have come forward have described a dystopian hellscape where "war crimes are committed every day." Trump wants to put that on steroids.

If Israeli military start taking ground by clearing Gazans and setting up military posts they will no doubt draw fire and many more will die. If Trump expands these shadowy aid centers which are not helping Gazans, more Americans will be on the ground, too, and in harms' way. What's next, an American military intervention? Al Monitor reported Thursday that "the Pentagon is awaiting approval from the White House to implement plans that would see the U.S. military help funnel additional humanitarian aid into Gaza" referring to plans — not yet confirmed — to provide logistical help to this GHF ramp-up.

The American people won't go for it.


Top image credit: Israel Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Itamar Ben Gvir shake hands as the Israeli government approve Netanyahu's proposal to reappoint Itamar Ben-Gvir as minister of National Security, in the Knesset, Israeli parliament in Jerusaelm, March 19, 2025 REUTERS/Oren Ben Hakoon
Gaza ceasefire collapse expands Israel's endless and boundary-less war
Reporting | QiOSK
US Marines
Top image credit: U.S. Marines with Force Reconnaissance Platoon, Maritime Raid Force, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, prepare to clear a room during a limited scale raid exercise at Sam Hill Airfield, Queensland, Australia, June 21, 2025. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Alora Finigan)

Cartels are bad but they're not 'terrorists.' This is mission creep.

Military Industrial Complex

There is a dangerous pattern on display by the Trump administration. The president and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth seem to hold the threat and use of military force as their go-to method of solving America’s problems and asserting state power.

The president’s reported authorization for the Pentagon to use U.S. military warfighting capacity to combat drug cartels — a domain that should remain within the realm of law enforcement — represents a significant escalation. This presents a concerning evolution and has serious implications for civil liberties — especially given the administration’s parallel moves with the deployment of troops to the southern border, the use of federal forces to quell protests in California, and the recent deployment of armed National Guard to the streets of our nation’s capital.

keep readingShow less
Howard Lutnick
Top photo credit: Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on CNBC, 8/26/25 (CNBC screengrab)

Is nationalizing the defense industry such a bad idea?

Military Industrial Complex

The U.S. arms industry is highly consolidated, specialized, and dependent on government contracts. Indeed, the largest U.S. military contractors are already effectively extensions of the state — and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick is right to point that out.

His suggestion in a recent media appearance to partially nationalize the likes of Lockheed Martin is hardly novel. The economist John Kenneth Galbraith argued for the nationalization of the largest military contractors in 1969. More recently, various academics and policy analysts have advocated for partial or full nationalization of military firms in publications including The Nation, The American Conservative, The Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP), and The Seattle Journal for Social Justice.

keep readingShow less
Modi Trump
Top image credit: White House, February 2025

Trump's India problem could become a Global South crisis

Asia-Pacific

As President Trump’s second term kicked off, all signs pointed to a continued upswing in U.S.-India relations. At a White House press conference in February, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke of his vision to “Make India Great Again” and how the United States under Trump would play a central role. “When it’s MAGA plus MIGA, it becomes a mega partnership for prosperity,” Modi said.

During Trump’s first term, the two populist leaders hosted rallies for each other in their respective countries and cultivated close personal ties. Aside from the Trump-Modi bromance, U.S.-Indian relations have been on a positive trajectory for over two decades, driven in part by mutual suspicion of China. But six months into his second term, Trump has taken several actions that have led to a dramatic downturn in U.S.-India relations, with India-China relations suddenly on the rise.

keep readingShow less

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.