Follow us on social

google cta
Gaza ceasefire hanging by a thread

Gaza ceasefire hanging by a thread

Repeated violations of Monday’s agreement could provoke a return to war

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The ceasefire agreement in Gaza is hanging by a thread as both Israel and Hamas face allegations of violating the terms of the deal, which went into force on Monday.

Israel claims that Hamas has been dragging its feet on returning the remains of deceased hostages. So far, the Palestinian armed group has only managed to deliver the bodies of nine of the remaining 28 deceased hostages.

Hamas claims that it is moving as quickly as it can given the difficulties of finding bodies that may be buried under rubble or hidden deep in bombed-out tunnels. But that hasn’t stopped Israel from threatening to “resume fighting and act to achieve a total defeat of Hamas.”

Israel announced that it is scaling back its own compliance with the ceasefire in what it says is a response to violations by Hamas. Perhaps most consequentially, Israel is now dramatically reducing the amount of aid that it will allow to enter the strip, dropping the total number of permitted daily truckloads from 600 — the amount aid officials say is needed to help alleviate famine — to 300.

Israel claims that this reduced number of trucks will carry only humanitarian aid. But Al Jazeera reported Thursday that many of the shipments have contained commercial products, which are unaffordable for the vast majority of Gazans. Meanwhile, Israel has continued to carry out attacks within Gaza, killing at least nine Palestinians who allegedly got too close to Israeli military facilities in the strip.

U.S. officials have sought to play down these early challenges, with one senior adviser to President Donald Trump telling reporters that Hamas is honoring the deal, citing as evidence the return of all living hostages on Monday. But it remains unclear whether the U.S. will be able to keep up enough pressure on both sides to force a lasting peace.

Further complicating affairs have been images of Hamas cracking down on armed gangs that have grown in power — sometimes with explicit Israeli help — since the war began. In recent days, videos have circulated on social media showing Hamas carrying out field executions of gang members, sparking no small amount of unease among Western leaders.

The startling images highlight a key weakness of the deal: it initiated a partial Israeli withdrawal without first establishing some form of temporary government or peacekeeping force to manage the transition. Trump is now attempting to fill that gap by recruiting potential peacekeepers, with reports saying that Indonesia, Azerbaijan and Pakistan are interested in sending soldiers to support the effort.

But, even with a peacekeeping operation in place, significant questions remain about how to protect the deal. Hamas has agreed to hand over its heavy weapons, but only to an Arab or Palestinian governing body. And it has not accepted the idea of surrendering its light weapons, which could turn into a significant sticking point with Israel.

It’s not all bad news, of course. Egypt announced Tuesday that all sides had reached agreement on a board of 15 Palestinian technocrats who could manage the post-war transition in Gaza. And Egypt’s foreign minister said Hamas is “committed” to having “no role” in the transition. But the names of the technocrats are yet to be revealed, and the path to handing over power remains fraught at best.

The primary question now is whether Trump is willing to keep up the pressure on Israel in order to force it to accept a lasting peace — a situation that may well end with Hamas maintaining a certain degree of power in Gaza. One worrying sign on this front came Tuesday, when Trump threatened to restart the war if Hamas failed to turn over all of its weapons.

“They will disarm or we will disarm them,” he told reporters. “Got it?”


Top image credit: Displaced Palestinians ordered by the Israeli military to evacuate their neighborhoods make their way as they flee amid an Israeli military operation, in Beit Lahiya in the northern Gaza Strip October 22, 2024. REUTERS/Stringer
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Washington Politics

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep readingShow less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.