Follow us on social

google cta
POGO The Bunker

Top admiral resigns amid Venezuela ops: Who’s got the scoop?

This week in The Bunker: DOD reporters aren't deterred and scrutiny of new weapons dives as spending soars

Analysis | Washington Politics
google cta
google cta

The Bunker appears originally at the Project on Government Oversight and is republished here with permission.

Navy Admiral mysteriously walks the plank 

You could glean the feckless futility of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s banishment of the Pentagon press corps shortly after they left the building for refusing to sign his onerous restrictions (PDF) on their reporting. Amid U.S. war drums pounding all around Venezuela, the admiral in charge of U.S. Southern Command — who would oversee any such conflict — announced his retirement after less than a year into what is usually a prized three-year assignment.

Did he walk the plank, or was he pushed?

Hegseth fulsomely praised Admiral Alvin Holsey for his service in the kind of gushing language the defense secretary typically reserves for President Trump. “Admiral Holsey has exemplified the highest standards of naval leadership since his commissioning through the NROTC program at Morehouse College in 1988,” Hegseth said in a statement (check out the hundreds of comments there, highlighting the corrosion of civility on both sides). Holsey’s service “reflects a legacy of operational excellence and strategic vision.”

But while Hegseth may have announced the who, what, and where, he didn’t answer the most important question: Why? Why was Holsey prematurely leaving his command as the biggest military operation of his 37-year career unfolds? (Holsey’s own pro forma statement, which didn’t even say he wanted to spend more time with his family, didn’t help, either.)

For that, we had to rely on the intrepid reporters who had been covering such issues from inside the Pentagon until 24 hours before Hegseth forced them, and perhaps Holsey, out. “One current and one former U.S. official, both of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss personnel matters, said that Admiral Holsey had raised concerns about the mission and the attacks on the alleged drug boats,” the New York Times reported.

“Two people familiar with the matter said Hegseth had grown disenchanted with Holsey and wanted him to step aside,” the Washington Post added. “The scrutiny began about a month ago — around the time that the Trump administration began ordering deadly strikes on alleged drug boats off the coast of Venezuela.” At least 32 people have been killed by seven recent U.S. strikes on suspected drug-running boats. The first pair known to have survived will be returned to their home nations of Colombia and Ecuador, Trump said October 18, suggesting the U.S. has no desire to prosecute or incarcerate them — only to kill them.

Lawmakers fear the U.S. is once again sailing into uncharted waters. “Never before in my over 20 years on the committee can I recall seeing a combatant commander leave their post this early and amid such turmoil,” Representative Adam Smith of Washington, the senior Democrat on the armed services committee, said. “I have also never seen such a staggering lack of transparency on behalf of an administration and the department to meaningfully inform Congress on the use of lethal military force.”

And, take it from Bunker colleague Virginia Burger, a former Marine public affairs officer, the sudden lack of reporters inside the Pentagon will make those uncharted waters even rougher. “Restricting reporters’ abilities to do their job,” she says, “will only make it easier for mistakes to be made, money to be wasted, and corruption to flourish.”

A Trump trifecta.

The Pentagon’s perpetual commotion machine

Troops march. Bombers fly. Warships sail. And, just as predictably, the organizational structure of the U.S. military is always in flux. Now The Bunker doesn’t mean to bore you with byzantine flow charts (PDF) filled with varying boxes (PDF) popping up and disappearing, depending on the day of the week, and connected by ever-shifting solid and dotted lines. But it’s to raise a fundamental question: Is the U.S. military too busy reorganizing itself to win wars?

The Department of Defense is a big organization, so it’s going to have lots of commands and so-called subordinate commands to keep things running. But it spends so much time reboxing, redrawing, and reconsidering how these units are arranged, and who reports to whom, that it can dizzify anyone trying to keep track of who’s in charge of what.

Over the past couple of weeks:

The military maintains that such changes are designed to shrink its ranks. But taxpayers might ask why such reorganizations always seem to require standing up costly new commands to carry them out.

Lawmakers sound alarm about overlooked oversight

The Pentagon continues to refuse to explain its massive cuts to its independent testing oversight office. That’s led a pair of lawmakers to warn that at least $74.5 billion worth of arms won’t get the scrutiny they warrant before their deployment. “We remain concerned these reckless decisions undermine readiness and will result in substantial waste of taxpayer dollars while putting servicemembers’ lives at risk,” Senator Elizabeth Warren, (D-MA) and Representative Donald Norcross (D-NJ), wrote Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in their October 15 letter (PDF).

Reports issued by the office of the Director of the Pentagon’s Operational Test and Evaluation (DOT&E) are vital to ensure that “voters and taxpayers have some visibility and insight into these decisions” to green-light weapons production, argues Greg Williams, director of the Center for Defense Information here at the Project On Government Oversight.

It’s striking that as Pentagon spending soars toward $1 trillion annually, it’s simultaneously cutting independent testing oversight. But it should come as no surprise. Along with ousting reporters and firing the military’s top lawyers, cutting the number of the weapons programs monitored by DOT&E (from 251 to 157, a 37% reduction) is part of a pattern. It’s in keeping with Hands-Off Hegseth’s nothing-to-see-here approach to his management of the world’s biggest bureaucracy.

Here’s what has caught The Bunker’s eye recently

→ “The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

A Pakistani weapons smuggler has been sentenced to 40 years in prison by a U.S. judge for his role in the 2024 drowning deaths of two Navy SEALs, Chief Special Warfare Operator Christopher Chambers and Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Nathan Gage Ingram, Drew F. Lawrence reported October 17 in Task & Purpose.

Final salute

Marine Colonel Doug Krugman explained in the October 16 Washington Post why he felt Trump’s disregard for the Constitution pushed him into retirement after 24 years in uniform.

→ “What could go wrong?

The U.S. government’s top nuclear-weapons agency is furloughing nearly 80% of its staff because of the government shutdown, Politico’s Connor O’Brien and Meredith Lee Hill reported October 17.


Thanks for achieving critical mass with The Bunker this week. Forward this on to friend and foe so they can subscribe here.



Top image credit: Project on Government Oversight
google cta
Analysis | Washington Politics
Vice President JD Vance Azerbaijan Armenia
U.S. Vice President JD Vance gets out of a car before boarding Air Force Two upon departure for Azerbaijan, at Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan, Armenia, February 10, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Pool

VP Vance’s timely TRIPP to the South Caucasus

Washington Politics

Vice President JD Vance’s regional tour to Armenia and Azerbaijan this week — the highest level visit by an American official to the South Caucasus since Vice President Joe Biden went to Georgia in 2009 — demonstrates that Washington is not ignoring Yerevan and Baku and is taking an active role in their normalization process.

Vance’s stop in Armenia included an announcement that Yerevan has procured $11 million in U.S. defense systems — a first — in particular Shield AI’s V-BAT, an ISR unmanned aircraft system. It was also announced that the second stage of a groundbreaking AI supercomputer project led by Firebird, a U.S.-based AI cloud and infrastructure company, would commence after having secured American licensing for the sale and delivery of an additional 41,000 NVIDIA GB300 graphics processing units.

keep readingShow less
United Nations
Monitors at the United Nations General Assembly hall display the results of a vote on a resolution condemning the annexation of parts of Ukraine by Russia, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., October 12, 2022. REUTERS/David 'Dee' Delgado||

We're burying the rules based order. But what's next?

Global Crises

In a Davos speech widely praised for its intellectual rigor and willingness to confront established truths, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney finally laid the fiction of the “rules-based international order” to rest.

The “rules-based order” — or RBIO — was never a neutral description of the post-World War II system of international law and multilateral institutions. Rather, it was a discourse born out of insecurity over the West’s decline and unwillingness to share power. Aimed at preserving the power structures of the past by shaping the norms and standards of the future, the RBIO was invariably something that needed to be “defended” against those who were accused of opposing it, rather than an inclusive system that governed relations between all states.

keep readingShow less
china trump
President Donald Trump announces the creation of a critical minerals reserve during an event in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC on Monday, February 2, 2026. Trump announced the creation of “Project Vault,” a rare earth stockpile to lower reliance on China for rare earths and other resources. Photo by Bonnie Cash/Pool/Sipa USA

Trump vs. his China hawks

Asia-Pacific

In the year since President Donald Trump returned to the White House, China hawks have started to panic. Leading lights on U.S. policy toward Beijing now warn that Trump is “barreling toward a bad bargain” with the Chinese Communist Party. Matthew Pottinger, a key architect of Trump’s China policy in his first term, argues that the president has put Beijing in a “sweet spot” through his “baffling” policy decisions.

Even some congressional Republicans have criticized Trump’s approach, particularly following his decision in December to allow the sale of powerful Nvidia AI chips to China. “The CCP will use these highly advanced chips to strengthen its military capabilities and totalitarian surveillance,” argued Rep. John Moolenaar (R-Mich.), who chairs the influential Select Committee on Competition with China.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.