Follow us on social

google cta
|

WSJ omits major Pompeo conflict of interest in 'Trump Peace Plan'

Surprise! The former Secretary of State and his co-writer could financially gain from this pro-Ukraine proposal

Reporting | Media
google cta
google cta

The plan reads like a wish list for the U.S. weapons industry and Ukrainian business interests: create a $500 billion “lend-lease” program for Ukraine to buy weapons, “bulk up America’s defense industry” and “swiftly admit Ukraine [to the European Union] and help it modernize and develop its economy.”

Those recommendations came from a board member of a major Ukrainian telecom company and the managing director of a D.C. lobby shop that counts a member of Ukraine’s parliament, an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, and the second largest weapons firm in the world, as clients.

But the plan, as presented in a Wall Street Journal op-ed last Thursday, wasn’t marketed as a lobbyist’s work for U.S. and Ukrainian companies, and the authors’ potential conflicts of interest weren’t disclosed. The board member of the Ukrainian telecom company, Kyivstar, was simply identified as “Mike Pompeo,” “Secretary of State, 2018-21.” And the lobbyist was identified as “David J. Urban,” “managing director at the BGR Group and of counsel at Torridon Law.”

The plan itself was presented as a “Trump Peace Plan for Ukraine,” though it is not clear whether Pompeo and Urban are speaking for trump or whether the former president has even seen their “plan.”

Meanwhile, the Journal chose not to make readers aware of Pompeo and Urban’s interests in the policies they were proposing — but public records and press releases provide ample documentation.

“I proudly join VEON and Kyivstar in their extraordinary service to the people of Ukraine by providing essential connectivity and digital services in health, education, business growth and entertainment. I also applaud Kyivstar’s parent company VEON for its leadership in investing in Ukraine with their own long-term commitment and their ‘Invest in Ukraine NOW!’ initiative,” said Pompeo in a November 14, 2023, press release announcing his new role as a board member at Kyivstar.

“It is through private enterprise and investments that Ukraine will secure its economic future and success, and I look forward to contributing to this laudable effort,” he added.

E.U. membership would almost certainly benefit Kyivstar and its shareholders, whose interests Pompeo is entrusted to protect.

Urban’s firm, BGR, registered as an agent for two foreign principals based in Ukraine in May 2022, providing pro-bono representation for Vadym Ivchenko, a member of Ukraine’s parliament, and Elena Lipkivska Ergul, an adviser to Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

BGR also has received a $120,000 contract this year to lobby on behalf of RTX (formerly known as Raytheon), the second largest weapons company in the world and whose CEO, Greg Hayes, promised investors in 2022 that “tensions in Eastern Europe,” among other hotpots, would provide significant upside for the company. “So I fully expect we’re going to see some benefit from it,” he said. Raytheon paid BGR $240,000 last year and Lockheed Martin, the largest weapons firm, paid the firm $70,000.

The Journal did not respond to a request for comment about whether they were aware of Urban and Pompeo’s potential conflicts of interest and, if so, why they chose to withhold this information from readers.


U.S. Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo delivers remarks to the traveling press at Al Batten Airport, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on September 19, 2019. [State Department photo by Ron Przysucha]|
U.S. Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo delivers remarks to the traveling press at Al Batten Airport, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on September 19, 2019. [State Department photo by Ron Przysucha]|
google cta
Reporting | Media
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.