Follow us on social

POGO

$200 billion more for the Pentagon?

This week in The Bunker: A new push to fatten up an already-bloated Pentagon and the soaring costs of vets' care

Analysis | Military Industrial Complex

No one has ever accused the U.S. military of being a lean, mean, fighting machine. A call to give it $200 billion more split between this year and next won’t do anything to change that reality. But that’s what the new chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee wants to do. Senator Roger Wicker (R-MS) thinks the money should be pumped into President Trump’s “Iron Dome for America” missile defense shield, as well as “key investments in areas such as shipbuilding, submarines and the Air Force’s next-generation fighter,” Valerie Insinna of Breaking Defense reported.

Such an increase would represent “a magnificent opportunity to make the Defense Department and defense procurement more efficient and modern,” Wicker said. (Did Wicker increase his three kids’ allowances when they made poor choices?) Admiral Mike Mullen, when he was serving as chairman of the Joint Chiefs a decade ago, was closer to the mark when he said the Pentagon’s civilian and military leaders “lost their ability to prioritize” amid the Defense Department’s post-9/11 cash gusher. But Wicker maintains that forcing the Pentagon to buy more commercially, outside of the Defense Department’s crazy procurement process, could generate big benefits.

There’s no doubt that the Big Five defense contractors — Lockheed, Raytheon, Boeing, General Dynamics, and Northrop — have become too cozy inside a bureaucracy designed to serve their interests while keeping interlopers out. “There’s a lot of programs around here that we’ve spent a lot of money on that, when you actually wargame it, don’t have the impact you want them to,” Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth markedly understated February 7. The Defense Department bureaucracy is part of the problem. “There are thousands of additional Pentagon positions, headquarters positions, other positions that have been created over the last 20 years that don’t necessarily translate to battlefield success,” he added. “It’s not just the fraud, waste and abuse stuff — it’s systems, it’s hierarchies, it’s layers that we can review, reduce.”

A big missing part of the defense budget

The pay that U.S. troops earn is part of the U.S. defense budget. But the money we spend taking care of them once they’re out of uniform isn’t. Instead, it’s funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs, an entirely separate Cabinet agency. Yet there’s no true accounting for the cost of the U.S. military unless you calculate just how much we’re spending on our nearly 16 million veterans: while the Pentagon paid troops $236 billion in total compensation last year, the VA spent $365 billion (PDF) on former troops.

“After experiencing very little growth from 1980 to 1999, VA’s budget has more than quadrupled in real terms” — not counting inflation — “since 1999,” the Congressional Budget Office says in a new report (PDF). The two biggest chunks of the VA’s budget are for benefits and medical care. “Each of those programs is approaching the size of DoD’s military personnel budget,” CBO says. The VA is seeking $369 billion this year, 9.8% more than in 2024.

This quadrupling of costs — in real terms — is happening despite the fact that the number of U.S. veterans has been shrinking. And not only that: “Furthermore, the number of combat veterans has been decreasing as a share of veterans who receive disability compensation — even though the United States was engaged in operations in Iraq and Afghanistan for more than 10 years,” the agency added. “Because of policy changes, veterans who served after 9/11 (known as Gulf War II veterans) are more likely to get benefits, whether they served in combat or not.”

Veterans deserve every penny they’ve got coming to them. And taxpayers deserve to have each one counted as part of the defense budget. The VA’s skyrocketing spending is just as much a part of the cost of waging war as the boots, bullets, and battleships bought by the Pentagon.

Sudden paint job for the Pentagon’s new boss

The Bunker believes troops and veterans deserve their pay and benefits — and we feel the same about the dwellings that house many active-duty service personnel. In fact, René Kladzyk here at the Project On Government Oversight has reported on the persistent problems with the Pentagon’s push to privatize military housing, including the widespread mold and rigged oversight that shortchange those in uniform and their families.

So it caught our attention when a pair of House Appropriations Committee Democrats questioned the $49,900 “emergency” paint job for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s government-owned home in a February 7 letter to the new defense chief. “It was not until February 5, 2025,” Reps. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida and Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut wrote, “that the committee learned that you would be the occupant of this family housing unit.”

“Family housing unit” and “$49,900…for an ‘emergency’ paint job” are rarely paired together when it comes to federal military barracks housing. “How does that use of funds comply with the Administration’s stated goal of government efficiency?” the lawmakers asked. All told, they asked Hegseth to explain the $137,297 the Army spent sprucing up his home before he moved in.

Defense secretaries, unlike the uniformed members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and other top officers, usually live in their own homes. The lawmakers asked why Hegseth needs government housing at an unidentified location near the Pentagon, and how much rent he is paying.

The flappable defense chief exploded after Jennifer Griffin, Fox News’ Pentagon reporter, tweeted about the letter. Surprisingly, he lumped the straight-arrow Griffin among “Trump haters” for simply posting the lawmakers’ newsworthy inquiry. “Any/all house repairs were going to happen no matter who was moving in — and were all initiated by DoD,” Hegseth harrumphed.

The Bunker has no doubt some faceless Pentagon bureaucrat ordered the spiffing up. That’s the autopilot nature of defense spending that has bedeviled the U.S. military for decades. But if Hegseth truly believes the work was to be done “no matter who was moving in,” the man has no business trying to run the Department of Defense.

Here’s what has caught The Bunker’s eye recently

Drones and atomic war

Crewless aircraft are a double-edged sword when it comes to nuclear strategy, increasing deterrence but also the chances of escalation, Lawrence J. Korb, a former top defense official, and political scientist Stephen Cimbala, wrote February 7 in The National Interest.

Speaking of drones…

Russia is investigating a plot to send exploding goggles to its front-line drone operators, Howard Altman reported February 7 at The War Zone.

→ “You have been disconnected…

The fiber-optic cables that knit together the world are increasingly being shredded by ships most likely belonging to China and Russia, Gabriella Gricius wrote February 5 for the Jamestown Foundation.

Thanks for connecting with The Bunker this week. Consider forwarding this on to your chums so they can subscribe here.


Top image credit: Project on Government Oversight
Analysis | Military Industrial Complex
US Marines
Top image credit: U.S. Marines with Force Reconnaissance Platoon, Maritime Raid Force, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, prepare to clear a room during a limited scale raid exercise at Sam Hill Airfield, Queensland, Australia, June 21, 2025. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Alora Finigan)

Cartels are bad but they're not 'terrorists.' This is mission creep.

Military Industrial Complex

There is a dangerous pattern on display by the Trump administration. The president and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth seem to hold the threat and use of military force as their go-to method of solving America’s problems and asserting state power.

The president’s reported authorization for the Pentagon to use U.S. military warfighting capacity to combat drug cartels — a domain that should remain within the realm of law enforcement — represents a significant escalation. This presents a concerning evolution and has serious implications for civil liberties — especially given the administration’s parallel moves with the deployment of troops to the southern border, the use of federal forces to quell protests in California, and the recent deployment of armed National Guard to the streets of our nation’s capital.

keep readingShow less
Howard Lutnick
Top photo credit: Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on CNBC, 8/26/25 (CNBC screengrab)

Is nationalizing the defense industry such a bad idea?

Military Industrial Complex

The U.S. arms industry is highly consolidated, specialized, and dependent on government contracts. Indeed, the largest U.S. military contractors are already effectively extensions of the state — and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick is right to point that out.

His suggestion in a recent media appearance to partially nationalize the likes of Lockheed Martin is hardly novel. The economist John Kenneth Galbraith argued for the nationalization of the largest military contractors in 1969. More recently, various academics and policy analysts have advocated for partial or full nationalization of military firms in publications including The Nation, The American Conservative, The Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP), and The Seattle Journal for Social Justice.

keep readingShow less
Modi Trump
Top image credit: White House, February 2025

Trump's India problem could become a Global South crisis

Asia-Pacific

As President Trump’s second term kicked off, all signs pointed to a continued upswing in U.S.-India relations. At a White House press conference in February, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke of his vision to “Make India Great Again” and how the United States under Trump would play a central role. “When it’s MAGA plus MIGA, it becomes a mega partnership for prosperity,” Modi said.

During Trump’s first term, the two populist leaders hosted rallies for each other in their respective countries and cultivated close personal ties. Aside from the Trump-Modi bromance, U.S.-Indian relations have been on a positive trajectory for over two decades, driven in part by mutual suspicion of China. But six months into his second term, Trump has taken several actions that have led to a dramatic downturn in U.S.-India relations, with India-China relations suddenly on the rise.

keep readingShow less

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.