Follow us on social

google cta
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi, U.S. President Donald Trump, U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro

Trump to federalize DC police, unleash National Guard on city

The president declared the Nation’s capital a 'public safety emergency' on Monday

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Declaring a public safety emergency this morning, the Trump administration announced it will federalize the D.C. city police — and put National Guard on the city streets — to combat crime in Washington, D.C.

“Today we're declaring [a] public safety emergency…Attorney General, Pam Bondi…is taking command of the Metropolitan Police Department as of this moment,” Trump said.

"Last week, my administration surged 500 federal agents into the District, including from the FBI, ATF, DEA, Park Police, the U.S. Marshals Service, the Secret Service, and the Department of Homeland Security...They made dozens of arrests.”

Reports on Saturday indicated that 450 agents from various federal agencies had been unleashed on DC streets this weekend and indeed had made some arrests, including illegal gun charges, dirtbike riding in the park, and apprehending a fugitive from Maryland, according to FOX 5 local news on Sunday.

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser, in her first comments on the issue, said the arrests sounded like "a typical MPD rundown of arrests I review on a daily basis."

"This is what I know: we are not experiencing a crime spike," she told MSNBC on Sunday.

Trump doesn’t agree. “And we will bring in the military if it's needed, by the way. We’re going to have the National Guard,” Trump said Monday. “I don’t think we will need it,” he explained, saying other personnel will be on the ground.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, also at the press conference, explained that the National Guard in D.C. will be “operationalized” by Dan Driscoll, the Secretary of the Army. He said D.C. residents “will see [National Guard members] flowing into the streets of Washington in the coming week."


Top Image Credit: BREAKING: Hegseth Announces Mobilization Of National Guard In Trump-ordered Crackdown On D.C. Crime/Forbes Breaking News [YouTube/Screenshot]
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.