Follow us on social

New Israeli military outposts risk even bigger crisis in Gaza

New Israeli military outposts risk even bigger crisis in Gaza

As an invasion of Rafah looms, the IDF is tightening control over Palestinians and may be establishing a long term presence

Reporting | Middle East

Israel is ramping up its development of a strategic route that bisects the Gaza Strip, according to new satellite imagery, which shows that Israeli forces have been modernizing two military outposts at the crossroads of key pathways Palestinians used to flee south in the earlier stages of the war.

This road, part of the so-called “Netzarim Corridor,” runs east to west from the Gaza-Israel border to the Mediterranean Sea, just south of Gaza City. The Israeli army’s Engineering Corps has been developing it since shortly after Hamas’s Oct. 7 attacks.

Israeli officials say the corridor’s strategic purpose is to make it easier for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) to target Hamas’ underground tunnel networks. IDF personnel have also said the corridor facilitates military incursions in either direction and strengthens Israeli control over the movement of Palestinians, preventing them from freely moving north to south.

But, as an invasion of Rafah looms, experts say Israel’s tightening grip over the flow of people and aid into northern Gaza risks exacerbating the already dire humanitarian crisis.

Israeli military forces were already able to control all movements of people and food in both directions since they began evacuating people from northern Gaza in October, said Lex Takkenberg, a former long-time official with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Near East Refugees (UNRWA).“What this move seems to be doing is further consolidating Israel's control over that de-facto separation of the Gaza Strip,” Takkenberg said.


Takkenberg, who worked in Gaza for a decade as a top UNRWA official, says the choice of the corridor’s location facilitates that control. It runs through Wadi Gaza, a river valley that is more difficult for people to cross and that acts as a natural border between the north and south of Gaza. It’s also the most narrow part of the Strip.

“From a military perspective, it’s relatively easy to control,” said Takkenberg, who now works as a senior advisor at Arab Renaissance for Democracy and Development.

The IDF’s control will be even stronger as they forge ahead with the corridor’s “buffer zone.” By clearing terrain and razing buildings in the area surrounding the route, Israeli forces have tightened their grip over the corridor, IDF personnel said.

This high level of control raises concerns for the humanitarian crisis that is already ongoing. Hundreds of thousands of residents of northern Gaza’s have been displaced since Israel ordered them to evacuate south of Wadi Gaza in October of last year. They now face devastating living conditions in southern Gaza, which will only worsen in the event that Israel invades Rafah, as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has promised to do.

If an invasion occurs, there is limited space for Palestinians if they are not permitted past the Netzarim Corridor, said Daniel Davis, a military expert and fellow at Defense Priorities. “If Israel truly does have a plan to relocate the over 1 million population prior to the attack, it's not clear where they would send them,” he adds.

Israeli Minister of Diaspora Affairs Amichai Chikli said in January that residents of northern Gaza will not be allowed to return until Hamas’ underground infrastructure is demolished.

Israel’s tight control over the corridor could also pose a risk for residents of northern Gaza facing food and aid shortages. If Israel has full control over what enters the north, it gives them the opportunity to block aid from entering, Takkenberg notes.

Aid shipments from outside of Gaza — regulated by Egypt and Israel — account for approximately two-thirds of food consumption in the Strip before the war began. Now, nearly the entire population relies on food aid to survive, according to the World Food Programme. Shortages and delays in aid delivery in recent months have pushed Gaza to the brink of famine.

Aid might be able to enter both the north and south of Gaza via a pier being built by the U.S., which sits just off the point where the Netzarim Corridor meets the coast. But how this aid will be distributed from there remains to be seen. Just yesterday, the staging area for the pier came under mortar fire, further fueling concerns that the plan could draw U.S. forces into the fighting.

The IDF stated that the structures being built along the Netzarim Corridor are not permanent. Israel does, however, plan to keep them in place for the foreseeable future to carry out operations against Hamas. Regardless of whether the outposts stay in place, Israeli forces are unlikely to fully withdraw from Gaza, according to Davis.

“It is likely that a post-war Gaza will be even more restricted to Palestinian movement, far beyond just this one bisecting road,” he said.

Thanks to our readers and supporters, Responsible Statecraft has had a tremendous year. A complete website overhaul made possible in part by generous contributions to RS, along with amazing writing by staff and outside contributors, has helped to increase our monthly page views by 133%! In continuing to provide independent and sharp analysis on the major conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East, as well as the tumult of Washington politics, RS has become a go-to for readers looking for alternatives and change in the foreign policy conversation. 

 

We hope you will consider a tax-exempt donation to RS for your end-of-the-year giving, as we plan for new ways to expand our coverage and reach in 2025. Please enjoy your holidays, and here is to a dynamic year ahead!

An Israeli soldier operates a gun on a military vehicle, near the Israel-Gaza border, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Israel, April 15, 2024. REUTERS/Amir Cohen

Reporting | Middle East
Yoon Suk Yeol  south korea
Top photo credit Republic of Korea President-elect Yoon, Suk-yeol conducts an office call with his staff and personnel from Combined Forces Command at Camp Humphreys, Republic of Korea, April 7, 2022. President-elect Yoon visited Humphreys to receive an overview of United Nations Command, Combined Forces Command, U.S. Forces Korea’s ironclad commitment to strengthening the US-ROK Alliance and providing a strong robust combined defense posture to maintaining peace, security, and stability of the Korean peninsula. (U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Kris Bonet)

Fearing his enemies, South Korea's Yoon declares martial law

QiOSK

South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol declared martial law today.

The move, marking the first-ever suspension of democratic rights in South Korea since the end of military dictatorship in 1987, is poised to send a tremendous political shockwave through South Korean society.

keep reading Show less
President Joe Biden
Top Image Credit: President Joe Biden delivers remarks about the situation in Ukraine, Friday, February 18, 2022, in the Roosevelt Room at the White House. (Official White House Photo by Erin Scott)

Lame duck Biden goes for broke on Ukraine aid

QiOSK

On its way out, the lame duck Biden administration is going for broke, maybe literally, on aid for Ukraine.

According to AP reporting and a State Department statement, the U.S. plans to send Ukraine another $725 million worth of military assistance, including HIMARs and Stinger missiles, and more anti-personnel landmines, among other munitions.

keep reading Show less
F35
Top image credit: Brian G. Rhodes / Shutterstock.com

The low hanging DOGE fruit at the Pentagon for Elon and Vivek

Military Industrial Complex

Any effort to suggest what Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswamy’s Department of Government Efficiency should put forward for cuts must begin with a rather large caveat: should a major government contractor with billions riding on government spending priorities be in charge of setting the tone for the debate on federal budget priorities?

Musk’s SpaceX earns substantial sums from launching U.S. government military satellites, and his company stands to make billions producing military versions of his Starlink communications system. He is a sworn opponent of government regulation, and is likely, among other things, to recommend reductions of government oversight of emerging military technologies.

keep reading Show less

Election 2024

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.