Follow us on social

Shutterstock_1117734413

Mexico's AMLO is a no-show at Biden's Summit of Americas

The Mexican president is the first to follow through on a boycott after the White House confirmed its snub of Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua.

Analysis | Latin America

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Monday morning that he will not attend this week's Summit of the Americas in Los Angeles, marking a blow against President Joe Biden's diplomatic plans in the Western Hemisphere.

López Obrador’s decision came after the White House officially announced that it will not invite Cuba, Nicaragua, or Venezuela to the event, citing concerns about human rights and authoritarian governance. The move is the latest flashpoint in weeks of drama over the summit’s guest list, with López Obrador, also known as AMLO, and other regional leaders threatening to boycott the event if Biden kept his promise to snub the three countries.

The Mexican president’s absence will make it harder to make progress on the summit’s wide-ranging agenda, which will cover everything from democracy to climate change and inequality in the region during a series of high-level meetings from Wednesday through Friday. It’s also a bit embarrassing given recent comments from White House official Juan Gonzalez that the White House is “really confident that the summit will be well-attended,” and that Biden “very personally wants the president of Mexico there.”

And the consequences go beyond abstract foreign policy and image concerns, according to Aileen Teague of the Quincy Institute. “A summit with critical partners missing would also deliver a huge blow to Biden’s attempts to find solutions to U.S. domestic problems that range from border security to immigration flows to the rise in oil and gas prices,” Teague wrote in a recent piece for Responsible Statecraft.

The controversy also shows a weakness of Biden’s strategy for fighting authoritarianism. As Teague wrote, Biden’s attempt to strengthen ties with democratic partners in the region has had the opposite effect, weakening relations with Mexico and other democracies in the Americas. She added that America’s position on the summit is “hypocritical” and “inconsistent,” noting America’s historical support for Latin American dictators when convenient for US policy.

Reuters reported last month that Biden considered inviting lower-level Cuban officials in order to get López Obrador’s support, but that plan was scuttled in favor of a decision to invite Cuban civil society leaders. US officials have said that they will also invite non-government representatives from Nicaragua and Venezuela, and some reports say Juan Guaidó — who the US recognizes as the Venezuelan president — could attend a virtual event on the sidelines of the conference.

The leaders of Guatemala, Honduras, Bolivia and several Caribbean countries also threatened to boycott the event in solidarity with blacklisted countries, potentially weakening the conference further and signaling a drop in U.S. influence in the region. As of Monday afternoon, no other countries have announced that they will be pulling out of the event.

Some argue the move could jeopardize the future of the summit itself. The event has been on life support since former President Donald Trump decided to skip the 2018 meeting, which only half of the region’s heads of state ended up attending. Trump surprised the region in 2019 by offering to host the next summit, but plans for that meeting were delayed after he suggested invading Venezuela in order to unseat Nicolás Maduro.

Observers expected that Biden’s election would put things back on track, especially given his campaign promise to emphasize diplomacy in his foreign policy. Moreover, President Barack Obama attended both the 2009 summit in Trinidad & Tobago and the 2015 summit in Panama, where he famously shook hands with Cuban President Raul Castro, and many assumed Biden would follow suit. 

But the president has shown no intention of following Obama’s line in the region, likely due in part to opposition from Senator Bob Menendez, who has long advocated against diplomacy with Cuba, Venezuela, and Iran. With a 50-50 Senate, Menendez has the power to sink Biden’s agenda to get his way, and he’s shown a willingness to flex his muscles when he gets a chance.

Regardless of the underlying motivation for the policy, White House officials say the “summit will be successful no matter who attends.” Time will tell if their prediction comes true.

Thanks to our readers and supporters, Responsible Statecraft has had a tremendous year. A complete website overhaul made possible in part by generous contributions to RS, along with amazing writing by staff and outside contributors, has helped to increase our monthly page views by 133%! In continuing to provide independent and sharp analysis on the major conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East, as well as the tumult of Washington politics, RS has become a go-to for readers looking for alternatives and change in the foreign policy conversation. 

 

We hope you will consider a tax-exempt donation to RS for your end-of-the-year giving, as we plan for new ways to expand our coverage and reach in 2025. Please enjoy your holidays, and here is to a dynamic year ahead!

Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador (Shutterstock/Octavio Hoyos)
Analysis | Latin America
Israel protest university of michigan
Top image credit: Students and other individuals walk throughout campus as they protest to express support for Palestinians in Gaza, amid the Israel-Hamas conflict, in front of the residence of the University of Michigan's president, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S. November 21, 2024. REUTERS/Emily Elconin

Free speech crises loom with crackdown on Israel criticism

Washington Politics

As one administration exits and another takes form, a harsh reality is becoming clear for critics of maintaining U.S. support for the Israeli government: in government bureaucracies and university campuses alike, crackdowns and pressure on free expression and assembly will continue in force.

Precisely how the incoming Trump administration will handle such criticism remains to be seen — but views expressed by his congressional allies and recent cabinet picks suggest a further diversion from upholding freedoms of speech and assembly in the name of maintaining support for Israel's war on Gaza and beyond.

keep reading Show less
Amnesty International calls Israel's actions in Gaza genocide
Top Photo: Palestinians inspect their destroyed homes after an Israeli air strike on a house belonging to the Hassan family, in the Nuseirat camp in the central Gaza Strip, on May 19, 2024. Anas-Mohammed / Shutterstock.com

Amnesty International calls Israel's actions in Gaza genocide

QiOSK

Today, Amnesty International became the first major human rights organization to accuse Israel of carrying out a genocide in Gaza, releasing a detailed report to substantiate this claim.

“Our research reveals that, for months, Israel has persisted in committing genocidal acts, fully aware of the irreparable harm it was inflicting on Palestinians in Gaza,” says Agnès Callamard, Secretary General of Amnesty International. “It continued to do so in defiance of countless warnings about the catastrophic humanitarian situation and of legally binding decisions from the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ordering Israel to take immediate measures to enable the provision of humanitarian assistance to civilians in Gaza.”

keep reading Show less
Bernie Sanders Chris Van Hollen
Top image credit: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) speaks during a press conference regarding legislation that would block offensive U.S. weapons sales to Israel, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., November 19, 2024. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz

Will Senate vote signal a wider shift away from Israel?

Middle East

On November 20, the Senate voted on three Joint Resolutions of Disapproval (JRDs) of proposed arms transfers to Israel. The vote was historic, marking the first time there had ever been such a vote against major arms sales to Israel. The resolutions failed, but their success in securing 19 Senate votes reflects that times are changing when it comes to arms transfers to Israel.

The proposed JRDs disapproved of three specific shipments of offensive arms to Israel, with a total value of over $1.6 billion, which have caused massive civilian casualties in Gaza and Lebanon: tank rounds worth $774 million; mortar rounds worth $583 million; and Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs), which are guidance kits for gravity-guided air-to-ground missiles, worth $262 million.

keep reading Show less

Election 2024

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.