Follow us on social

Mbs-mbz-scaled

WSJ: UAE and Saudi deny visit to Biden, say they want more from US first

Washington is desperate for more OPEC oil production and our 'friends' know it. Some might call this extortion.

Analysis | Europe

According to the Wall Street Journal tonight, officials from the UAE and Saudi Arabia have both declined a visit from the Biden Administration, preferring to hold out their oil for self-interested demands, like immunity for crown prince Muhammed bin Salman, who is tied to the murder and dismemberment of American journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018.

Some would call this good old fashioned geopolitics. Others would call it extortion. Others may call it Washington getting what it paid for.

WSJ:

The Saudis have signaled that their relationship with Washington has deteriorated under the Biden administration, and they want more support for their intervention in Yemen’s civil war, help with their own civilian nuclear program as Iran’s moves ahead, and legal immunity for Prince Mohammed in the U.S., Saudi officials said. The crown prince faces multiple lawsuits in the U.S., including over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018.

The Emiratis share Saudi concerns about the restrained U.S. response to recent missile strikes by Iran-backed Houthi militants in Yemen against the U.A.E. and Saudi Arabia, officials said. Both governments are also concerned about the revival of the Iran nuclear deal, which doesn’t address other security concerns of theirs and has entered the final stages of negotiations in recent weeks.

Biden is asking for a boost in oil production in the wake of the Russian-Ukraine crisis and his decision today to cut off all Russian oil imports into the U.S. The price of Brent crude had already spiked to $132 on Tuesday in anticipation of Biden’s announcement. According to my colleague Annelle Sheline:

Although Saudi fossil fuel only accounts for about 7 percent of U.S. imports, the Saudis have spare capacity and can significantly influence the global price of fuel. However the Saudis and the other members of OPEC+, including Russia, have maintained an agreement to keep production caps in place.

The idea that Biden is not supporting the UAE-Saudi war in Yemen is absurd on all fronts. Instead of stopping U.S. assistance in the destruction of that country like he pledged to do at the beginning of his term in 2021, Biden’s administration has approved the sale of $23 billion in weapons to UAE, and $650 million to Saudi Arabia.  The president and his officials have promised to continue assistance to both countries so that they can “defend themselves” against the Houthis in Yemen. That included sending the USS Cole, a guided missile destroyer, as well as 5th Generation fighter aircraft to the region in February. As a result, the Saudis have stepped up their air campaign, pounding the country in recent weeks, and continue their crippling economic blockade unabated.

Right now, according to the World Food Programme (WFP), some 16.2 million Yemenis, or about 45 percent of the population, are food insecure, with more than five million people on the brink of famine. Increased air strikes and violence on the ground have resulting in an uptick in deaths (adding to the 377,000 Yemenis killed from 2015 to the end of 2021) and displacement.

What both the UAE and the Saudis want is to designate the Houthis a terrorist organization which would not only cut off resources to the opposition but deliver what could be a death blow to millions of Yemenis as it would inevitably cut off more aid to the country. 

"The designation would place responsibility for the starvation of Yemenis squarely on the shoulders of the U.S., absolving the Houthis of their significant role in contributing to Yemen’s misery,” Sheline wrote last month. “The move could even bolster the group’s credibility, which they seek to establish on the basis of defending Yemen against Saudi, Emirati, and American aggression.”

One hopes that the Biden administration does not fall for these disgusting bribery schemes but he has backed himself into a corner, cutting off Russian oil to punish Putin for a humanitarian crisis in Ukraine, with no alternative but to horsetrade with autocrats over the fate of Yemenis a half a world away. If this is geopolitics, heaven forgive us.


UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan receives Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at the Presidential Airport in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates November 27, 2019. WAM/Handout via REUTERS
Analysis | Europe
Trump should take the victory in Canada and move on
Top photo credit: Pierre Poilievre and Mark Carney (Yan Parisien; bella1105 via shutterstock)

Trump should take the victory in Canada and move on

North America

Just days after replacing Justin Trudeau and becoming Canada’s 24th prime minister, Mark Carney has advised Governor General Mary Simon to dissolve Parliament. Canadians will now head to the polls on April 28 for a long awaited and highly anticipated federal election.

Trudeau had announced his intention to resign as prime minister and Liberal Party leader on January 6, having served more than nine years as Canada’s head of government. Opinion polling had shown an increasingly sizable lead for the rival Conservative Party over the preceding 18 months, with about 25 percentage points separating the two parties by the time Trudeau announced he was stepping down.

keep readingShow less
Alexander Vindman's new book is a folly: of history, and the truth
Top photo credit: Alexander Vindman (Philip Yabut/Shutterstock) and the cover of his new book (publisher, PublicAffairs)

Alexander Vindman's new book is a folly: of history, and the truth

Europe

Alexander Vindman’s recent book, “The Folly of Realism,”throws down the gauntlet, as the name suggests, at the “realists” he thinks were responsible for failing to deter Russia and seize opportunities for defense cooperation with Ukraine.

According to Vindman, the former National Security Council official who testified against President Trump during his impeachment trial in 2019, this “realist” behavior incentivized Moscow’s continued imperialist predations, culminating in the 2022 invasion of Ukraine.

keep readingShow less
arrest free speech
Top photo credit: Spaxiax/Shutterstock

Does Vance’s free speech defense in Munich not apply here?

Global Crises

At the Munich Security Conference in mid-February, U.S. Vice President JD Vance warned Europe not to back away from one of the West’s most basic democratic values: free speech.

“In Washington there is a new sheriff in town," he said, "and under Donald Trump’s leadership, we may disagree with your views, but we will fight to defend your right to offer it in the public square, agree or disagree.”

keep readingShow less

Trump transition

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.