Follow us on social

google cta
09

Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, and Iran reach gas trade deal

The agreement was presented by both Baku and Tehran as proof that their recent political crisis had been overcome. Has it?

Analysis | Europe
google cta
google cta

Azerbaijan and Iran have agreed to a deal to swap natural gas along with Turkmenistan, solidifying their economic rapprochement shortly after a serious political rupture between the two neighbors.

The presidents of Azerbaijan and Iran met on November 28 in Ashgabat, after which the agreement was signed.

“From now on, Iranian-Azerbaijani relations will develop in all areas,” Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev told reporters following the signing. “Our peoples are fraternal peoples, our countries are fraternal countries, and the issues discussed today show again that Iranian-Azerbaijani relations are at a very high level.”

It was a sharp turnaround from the saber-rattling of less than two months earlier, when Aliyev and other Azerbaijani officials were heaping abuse on Iran during a crisis set off by Azerbaijani police arresting two Iranian truck drivers. Tehran responded by holding unprecedented war games on the border with Azerbaijan and Baku hinted at stoking separatist sentiments among Iran’s large ethnic Azerbaijani minority.

But the two governments soon moved to patch things up, and in late November signed a potentially significant agreement on energy cooperation, though many of the details remained unclear.

One of the key elements of that agreement was clarified in the new gas swap deal. Under it, 1.5 to 2 billion cubic meters of gas will be transported annually; Turkmenistan will supply Iran with gas and then Iran will separately deliver an equivalent amount of gas to Azerbaijan.

Iran Petroleum Minister Javad Owji said that the talks on the new agreement began “about two months ago,” that is during the heat of the political crisis. The shipments will begin on December 22, he said.

“Our relations with the Republic of Azerbaijan are not only neighborly, they are the relations of our hearts. The hearts of the peoples of the two countries beat together,” Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi told reporters at the joint appearance with Aliyev. “We must never allow others to interfere in our relations. We must resolve our own problems, work together to advance our relations and deepen mutually beneficial cooperation. Experience so far shows that when we discuss our issues ourselves, we manage to resolve many of them.”

(Turkmenistan officials seemed to have been absent from the signing, despite their participation in the agreement. The official Turkmenistan government readout of President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov’s meeting with Aliyev did not mention the deal, nor did that of Berdymukhammedov’s meeting with Raisi.)

In a victory lap of sorts, Azerbaijan news website Haqqin said that the turnaround in relations was the result of Raisi – “one of the smartest representatives of Iran’s political elite” – overcoming resistance from pro-Armenian “hawks” in the government and others who were concerned that new transportation arrangements under discussion between Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Russia would weaken Iran’s influence in the region.

And it presented Aliyev as a firm defender of Iran’s interests on the world stage.

“Even in the period of strengthened western pressure on Iran, Ilham Aliyev demonstratively and publicly in front of the whole world spoke of the need to develop economic relations and a good-neighbor policy with Tehran,” wrote the site’s editor in chief, Eynulla Fatullayev. “In spite of the calls by [former national security adviser John] Bolton and the messages from Trump,” he wrote.

This article has been republished with permission from Eurasianet.


Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev and Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi following the signing of a new gas swap deal. (photo: president.az)
google cta
Analysis | Europe
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
defense tech trade shows
Top photo credit: United Arab Emirates Dubai October ‎14, ‎2024 GITEX GLOBAL global tech show (Tarek Ibrahim/Shutterstock)

In Silicon Valley, Hegseth is just one link in the brave new kill chain

Military Industrial Complex

The Special Competitive Studies Project (SCSP) expo is the marquee event of the military tech industry. All the big names in the “kill chain-meets-self-checkout” sector gather for this event in the Washington D.C. convention center annually.

Unfortunately I missed this year because they didn’t approve my registration. My article in these pages last year might have something to do with it.

keep readingShow less
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.