Follow us on social

google cta
Shutterstock_1811043697-scaled

Top House Dem abruptly reverses push to pause arms sale to Israel

Foreign Affairs Chair Gregory Meeks said he wanted to review the deal but acquiesced to a White House briefing instead.

Reporting | Middle East
google cta
google cta

House Foreign Affairs Committee chair Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.) surprised progressive and restraint-leaning foreign policy circles on Monday saying he would ask the White House to pause an arms sale to Israel amid its ongoing military campaign in Gaza, only to quickly backtrack the request.

The reversal comes as progressives and Democrats on Capitol Hill are putting pressure on the Biden administration to do more to foment a ceasefire between Hamas and the Israeli military amid mounting civilian casualties on both sides, including children. 

The administration notified Congress of the sale on May 5, but Meeks said Monday he was unaware of the sale and that he would send a letter to the White House asking the president to place a hold for further congressional review. 

“The United States should not stand idly by while crimes against humanity are being committed with our backing," Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) said of the arms deal. “It would be appalling for the Biden administration to go through with $735 million in precision-guided weaponry to [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu without any strings attached in the wake of escalating violence and attacks on civilians." 

But now Meeks — who recently took over as HFAC chair after staunchly pro-Israel and more hawkish Rep. Eliot Engel lost his seat last November — said he has withdrawn the letter, saying he got what he wanted without it. 

“What we wanted to do is to have a dialogue,” he said. “The purpose of the letter initially was to make sure that there was dialogue.”

Progressives chided Meeks for the reversal. 

“Not sure who needs to hear this,” Win Without War Executive Director Stephen Miles said, “but a briefing is not a pause on the sale.” 

A progressive House aide told CNN: "This is what we should have expected in electing Meeks. He sent us a little flash bulb of progressive hope last night. We genuinely feel dumb believing it was real."


google cta
Reporting | Middle East
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Washington Politics

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep readingShow less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.