Follow us on social

google cta
Latest Nord Stream break: propaganda, patsy, or truth?

Latest Nord Stream break: propaganda, patsy, or truth?

Paper cites unnamed sources to finger senior military officer who is already in jail.

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The Washington Post has a new bombshell revelation: a senior military officer connected to the highest levels of Ukrainian intelligence — who also happens to be in jail on other charges — supposedly played a key role in the Nord Stream pipeline sabotage last year.

According to "people familiar with the planning," Roman Chervinsky, "a decorated 48-year-old colonel who served in Ukraine’s special operations forces," was the coordinator of the operation, but was not the "planner." That went even higher than him — to officers reporting to the highest military officer, Gen. Valery Zaluzhny — but not all the way to President Volodymyr Zelensky, who was purposefully left out out of the loop.

Chervinsky, through a lawyer, has denied this story and calls it "Russian propaganda."

The pipelines were blown up Sept. 26, 2022. There have been several theories raised, but the West had Russians pegged as the culprits from the start. That shifted as it became more clear via investigations that it was a state actor but likely not Moscow. Veteran reporter Sy Hersh produced an extensive report in February 2023 accusing a secret U.S. Navy diver team, with the authority of the Biden administration, of the sabotage. Almost immediately after, the Western mainstream focused on a "rogue" pro-Ukrainian outfit, and more recently, Ukrainian military complicity.

The Washington Post is homing in on that last theory here, using in part the spring Discord leaks, which appeared to show the U.S. was concerned that Ukraine had been planning such a attack, as proof that Chervinsky may have helped to finally pull it off. The paper raises other secret operations led reportedly by Chervinsky, including that he also “planned and implemented” operations to kill pro-Russian separatist leaders in Ukraine and to “abduct a witness” in the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over the eastern Donbas region in 2014.

Chervinsky is now serving time for being involved in a plot that was supposed to lure a Russian pilot to defect to Ukraine but ended up in a Russian attack on Ukrainian forces that killed a Ukrainian soldier and 17 others. Chervinsky and others say the operation was sanctioned by the military. According to WaPo:

Chervinsky has said he was not responsible for the Russian attack and that in trying to persuade the pilot to fly to Ukraine and hand over his aircraft, he was acting under orders. He calls his arrest and prosecution political retribution for his criticism of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and his administration. Chervinsky has said publicly that he suspects Andriy Yermak, one of Zelensky’s closest advisers, of spying for Russia. He has also accused the Zelensky administration of failing to sufficiently prepare the country for Russia’s invasion.

Now he is being fingered by unnamed sources that WaPo calls "people familiar with the operation." (Recall, Hersh's damning report last year was excoriated by mainstream news and the commentariat for relying on one unnamed source.) Ukrainian officials are not commenting on these recent revelations, which continue to keep the U.S. far out of the taint of complicity. Per WaPo:

U.S. officials have at times privately chastised Ukrainian intelligence and military officials for launching attacks that risked provoking Russia to escalate its war on Ukraine. But Washington’s unease has not always dissuaded Kyiv.

In June 2022, the Dutch military intelligence agency, the MIVD, obtained information that Ukraine might be planning to attack Nord Stream. Officials at the CIA relayed to Zaluzhny through an intermediary that the United States opposed such an operation, according to people familiar with those conversations.

Questions will obviously be raised about whether Chervinsky is being used as a convenient fall guy or patsy and the timing of these unnamed sources suddenly coming forward with information that has been sought after for over a year in myriad official and news investigations.


Ex-intelligence officer Roman Chervinsky spoke about the operation at the Kanatove airfield with Censor.Net before his arrest.

( https://censor.net/en/v3414307/You Tube)

google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Washington Politics

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep readingShow less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.