Follow us on social

google cta
||

Diplomacy Watch: Europe turns attention to GOP ticket

Moscow, Kyiv, also react to eventuality of Trump returning to White House

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Ambassadors from roughly 20 European countries are descending on the Republican National Convention this week, in an effort to win over leaders in the party who are skeptical of NATO and the European Union generally, but also of Washington’s continued commitment to funding Ukraine’s war effort.

“It’s our last-ditch pitch to the MAGA wing of the party,” one unnamed European official told Foreign Policy.

As the FP report notes, it is common for foreign diplomats to appear at both party’s conventions in election years. But, the report says there is “new level of urgency” this year, a sign both of the conventional wisdom that Donald Trump is the favorite to win the election, and of fears in Europe about what a second Trump presidency would mean for the transatlantic relationship.

The selection of Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), a prominent Ukraine aid skeptic, as Trump’s running mate earlier this week led to a series of headlines in major media outlets about growing “panic,” “alarm,” and “anxiety” in European capitals.

The two combatants in the war are also apparently reading the tea leaves. Bloomberg reported last week that Kyiv was hoping to organize its next “peace summit” before November’s election, and that, contrary to earlier meetings, Russia may be invited — perhaps conveying a new sense of urgency in preparation for the eventuality of a Trump victory.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said earlier this week that he was prepared to work with Trump and “not afraid” of Republicans winning the White House.

“We have bipartisan support and we have strong relations with the Republican part of the U.S. political system,” Zelenaky said during a press conference.

Russia, for its part, welcomed the news of a Trump-Vance ticket.

“He’s in favor of peace, in favor of ending the assistance that’s being provided,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said of Vance on Wednesday. “And we can only welcome that because that’s what we need — to stop pumping Ukraine full of weapons. And then the war will end, and then we can look for solutions.”

Vance has been sharply critical of the Biden administration’s Ukraine policy during his short Senate tenure, voting against aid packages and calling for negotiations.

“By committing to a defensive strategy, Ukraine can preserve its precious military manpower, stop the bleeding and provide time for negotiations to commence,” he wrote in an April op-ed in the New York Times. “The White House has said time and again that it can’t negotiate with President Vladimir Putin of Russia. This is absurd. The Biden administration has no viable plan for the Ukrainians to win this war. The sooner Americans confront this truth, the sooner we can fix this mess and broker for peace.”

In other diplomatic news related to the war in Ukraine:

— Moscow offered a cautious response to Kyiv's potential invitation to a future peace conference. After initially saying they would reject the offer, comments from the Kremlin spokesman this week suggest that the door is not completely closed.

“The first peace summit was not a peace summit at all. So perhaps it is necessary to first understand what he means,” Dmitry Peskov said during a television interview on Monday, according to The Moscow Times.

— Trump would push for a rapid end to the war in Ukraine and has “well-founded plans” to accomplish this goal, according to Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban. Orban, who has also urged a settlement to end the war and has opposed much of the EU’s support for Kyiv, has used the beginning of his six-month rotation as EU president to visit Zelensky, Putin, Chinese President Xi Jinping, and Trump to discuss how to end the war.

“Orbán’s description of Trump’s peace plan for Ukraine tallies with a policy paper on the conflict written by two allies for the former president who are expected to take senior national security roles in his administration if he wins November’s US election.” according to The Financial Times.

That plan, authored by former Trump national security council staffers Keith Kellogg and Fred Fleitz said that Washington should only continue to send aid to Ukraine on the condition that they participate in negotiations, while also threatening to increase support for Kyiv if Moscow refused to take part in talks.

— Almost 44% of Ukrainians believe that it is time for official negotiations with Russia to begin, according to a new poll from the Ukrainian online newspaper ZN.ua, compared to 35% who were opposed and 21% who remain undecided. This represented a significant uptick from a similar poll last year, in which only 23% indicated that they supported official talks, with 64% opposed.

At the same time, a large majority (83%) of respondents opposed Putin’s stated conditions for a ceasefire, while 61% said they were not prepared to make concessions to Russia in order to obtain a peace deal.

U.S. State Department news:

In a Tuesday press briefing, State Department spokesman Matt Miller was asked about the Trump ticket’s stance on the Ukraine war. Miller said he “shouldn’t respond to” what was happening on the campaign trail.

“I will instead just speak about our record and our record of support for Ukraine. And ultimately I think the question really comes down to not just what we support and what anyone else in public life supports, but what the American people support, and what we have seen is when it comes to Ukraine, the American people strongly support continued assistance to Ukraine,” he said. “They strongly support allowing Ukraine and helping Ukraine to defend itself against Russia’s aggression.”








Diplomacy Watch: A peace summit without Russia
Diplomacy Watch: What’s the point of Swiss peace summit?
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
defense tech trade shows
Top photo credit: United Arab Emirates Dubai October ‎14, ‎2024 GITEX GLOBAL global tech show (Tarek Ibrahim/Shutterstock)

In Silicon Valley, Hegseth is just one link in the brave new kill chain

Military Industrial Complex

The Special Competitive Studies Project (SCSP) expo is the marquee event of the military tech industry. All the big names in the “kill chain-meets-self-checkout” sector gather for this event in the Washington D.C. convention center annually.

Unfortunately I missed this year because they didn’t approve my registration. My article in these pages last year might have something to do with it.

keep readingShow less
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.