Follow us on social

Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?

Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?

Saturday's strikes mark the 8th attack since Trump took office, with little evidence provided the targets pose a direct national security threat

Analysis | QiOSK

U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted an airstrike in Somalia against ISIS targets on Saturday, killing “multiple ISIS-Somalia operatives.” It was the eighth such strike in the short time that Trump has been in office, reflecting a quiet, but deadly American campaign in a part, of the world that remains far below the public radar.

“AFRICOM, alongside the Federal Government of Somalia and Somali Armed Forces, continues to take action to degrade ISIS-Somalia's ability to plan and conduct attacks that threaten the U.S. homeland, our forces, and our civilians abroad,” a Sunday AFRICOM press release stated.

The military said the attack against ISIS-Somalia, Islamic State’s small branch there, was coordinated in tandem with the Somali government and Somali Armed Forces.

While AFRICOM alleges no civilians were harmed in the strike, the Pentagon has been less than forthcoming about Somali casualties in similar incidents.

Saturday’s attack follows a Trump administration decision in late February to ease rules guiding U.S. raids and airstrikes outside conventional battlefields; that move was made with al Shabaab, another Islamist group in the region, in mind.

What’s more, AFRICOM struck Somalia eight times between February 1 and March 15, reportedly conducting “collective self-defense airstrike[s] against al Shabaab” in some of the cases, and striking ISIS-Somalia in some others.

“Our Military has targeted this ISIS Attack Planner for years, but Biden and his cronies wouldn’t act quickly enough to get the job done. I did!,” Donald Trump previously said of an early February AFRICOM strike on ISIS-Somalia on X.

“The message to ISIS and all others who would attack Americans is that ‘WE WILL FIND YOU, AND WE WILL KILL YOU!,’” he wrote.

A Somali government official told Nick Turse at the Intercept, that despite the military’s assertion that it had been working in coordination with the Somali government on that February strike, that little advance notice of the attack was provided to officials in Mogadishu.

The U.S. has been blasting away at Somalia since at least 2007, and has carried out military operations there since 2002 despite no formal declaration of war. Successive administrations have been using the 2001 Authorization for the Use of Force (AUMF) as a blanket authorization to bomb targets in Somalia since the 9/11 attacks in 2001.

There are also an estimated 450 American troops stationed there, after President Biden reversed a Trump era decision to move them all out.

Despite his decision to withdraw boots on the ground, the last Trump administration authorized over 200 air strikes against al Shabaab and IS in Somalia. In comparison, the Biden administration struck Somalia a declared 39 times over its four year term through 2024.

AFRICOM says ISIS-Somalia’s “malicious efforts threaten U.S. security interests.” In contrast, Intercept reporter Nick Turse points out how far away that threat really is.

“ISIS–Somalia is a tiny organization that operates primarily in the Golis Mountains of the Bari region in Somalia’s semiautonomous Puntland state,” he wrote in February. “There is no evidence the group has the capability to target the United States.”


Top Image Credit: The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), foreground, leads a formation of Carrier Strike Group Five ships as Air Force B-52 Stratofortress aircraft and Navy F/A-18 Hornet aircraft pass overhead for a photo exercise during Valiant Shield 2018 in the Philippine Sea Sept. 17, 2018. The biennial, U.S. only, field-training exercise focuses on integration of joint training among the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. This is the seventh exercise in the Valiant Shield series that began in 2006. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erwin Miciano)
Analysis | QiOSK
Afghanistan withdrawal
Lloyd Austin, Kenneth McKenzie, and Mark Milley in 2021. (MSNBC screengrab)

Turns out leaving Afghanistan did not unleash terror on US or region

Military Industrial Complex

It will be four years since the U.S. withdrew from Afghanistan on Aug. 30, 2021, ending a nearly 20-year occupation that could serve as a poster child for mission creep.

What began in October 2001 as a narrow intervention to destroy al-Qaeda, the terrorist group that perpetrated the 9/11 attacks, and topple the Taliban government for refusing to hand over al-Qaeda’s leader, Osama bin Laden, morphed into an open-ended nation-building operation that killed 2,334 U.S. military personnel and wounded over 20,000 more.

keep readingShow less
Francois Bayrou Emmanuel Macron
Top image credit: France's Prime Minister Francois Bayrou arrives to hear France's President Emmanuel Macron deliver a speech to army leaders at l'Hotel de Brienne in Paris on July 13, 2025, on the eve of the annual Bastille Day Parade in the French capital. LUDOVIC MARIN/Pool via REUTERS

Europe facing revolts, promising more guns with no money

Europe

If you wanted to create a classic recipe for political crisis, you could well choose a mixture of a stagnant economy, a huge and growing public debt, a perceived need radically to increase military spending, an immigration crisis, a deeply unpopular president, a government without a majority in parliament, and growing radical parties on the right and left.

In other words, France today. And France’s crisis is only one part of the growing crisis of Western Europe as a whole, with serious implications for the future of transatlantic relations.

keep readingShow less
Starmer Macron Merz
Top image credit: France's President Emmanuel Macron, Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Germany's Chancellor Friedrich Merz arrive at Kyiv railway station on May 10, 2025, ahead of a gathering of European leaders in the Ukrainian capital. LUDOVIC MARIN/Pool via REUTERS

Europe's snapback gamble risks killing diplomacy with Iran

Middle East

Europe appears set to move from threats to action. According to reports, the E3 — Britain, France, and Germany — will likely trigger the United Nations “snapback” process this week. Created under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal (JCPOA), this mechanism allows any participant to restore pre-2015 U.N. sanctions if Iran is judged to be in violation of its commitments.

The mechanism contains a twist that makes it so potent. Normally, the Security Council operates on the assumption that sanctions need affirmative consensus to pass. But under snapback, the logic is reversed. Once invoked, a 30-day clock begins. Sanctions automatically return unless the Security Council votes to keep them suspended, meaning any permanent member can force their reimposition with a single veto.

keep readingShow less

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.