Follow us on social

google cta
First effort to scrutinize Israel’s war fails in Senate

First effort to scrutinize Israel’s war fails in Senate

Resolution, introduced by Sen. Sanders, would have forced ‘modest’ restraints on the use of US weapons in Gaza

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The first Congressional vote focused on Israel’s conduct during its ongoing war on Gaza took place on Tuesday evening. It failed when a motion to table the resolution passed by 72 votes to 11.

The resolution in question, introduced by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) last month, would have forced the State Department to issue a report detailing whether Israel was using weapons provided by Washington to commit human rights violations.

The eleven Senators who voted to advance the resolution were Laphonza Butler (D-Calif.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), Ben Ray Lujan (D-N.M.), Ed Markey (D-Mass.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Rand Paul (R-Ky), Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), and Sanders.

During his remarks on the floor, Sanders said that his resolution was “not a radical idea” but rather “a very modest, common sense proposal.”

“This is a simple request for information,” Sanders said. “That is all this resolution is about. It does not alter aid to Israel in any way, it simply requests a report on how US aid is being used.” As Sanders noted, serious discussion about unconditional support for Israel’s war has been severely lacking in the U.S. Congress.

The Senator from Vermont went on to describe why this report would be important, describing the striking figures of death, destruction, and displacement in Gaza. Over 24,000 Palestinians have been killed, 1.9 million forced from their homes, and more than 46,000 homes completely destroyed in the 100 days since Israel officially declared war.

“As we all know, the military campaign being waged by the right-wing Netanyahu government has led to massive destruction and widespread civilian harm,” Sanders said. “This has been far and away the most intensive bombing campaign of the 21st century.”

“When there's been this level of casualties, and we are this closely tied to it, it is the right thing to do to get the type of information that would come through this request,” said. Merkley, speaking in support of the resolution.

The resolution was introduced under section 502B(c) of the Foreign Assistance Act. This national security tool has not been used to successfully get a report from the State Department since 1976. Had the resolution passed, the State Department would have had 30 days to submit its report, after which the Senate would have the opportunity to vote to either continue, alter, or terminate aid to Israel.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) spoke out in opposition to Sanders’s resolution, calling it “the most tone deaf thing, maybe in the history of the Senate.”

Graham said that he could “only imagine the joy that terrorist groups throughout the world have that we've been talking about such a proposal.” The senator also used his time to blast calls for a ceasefire, saying that one would allow Hamas to regroup, even though the resolution makes no mention of a ceasefire and Sanders himself has not called for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Last week, 75 organizations, including the Quincy Institute, which publishes RS, signed a letter in support of the resolution.

“S.Res.504 offers an opportunity to affirm Congress’s important oversight role, mandating that the Biden administration document and report on any human rights violations committed by the Israeli government,” the letter read. “Congress should ensure that arms transfers and military aid provided to Israel, or any country, are consistent with U.S. law and policy, international law, and civilian protection responsibilities. The resolution would be an important step toward these goals.”


Photo: C-SPAN

google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
defense tech trade shows
Top photo credit: United Arab Emirates Dubai October ‎14, ‎2024 GITEX GLOBAL global tech show (Tarek Ibrahim/Shutterstock)

In Silicon Valley, Hegseth is just one link in the brave new kill chain

Military Industrial Complex

The Special Competitive Studies Project (SCSP) expo is the marquee event of the military tech industry. All the big names in the “kill chain-meets-self-checkout” sector gather for this event in the Washington D.C. convention center annually.

Unfortunately I missed this year because they didn’t approve my registration. My article in these pages last year might have something to do with it.

keep readingShow less
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.