Follow us on social

google cta
Marco Rubio

Rubio: Trump ready to walk away from Ukraine peace talks

But if we are going to threaten, there needs to be some clear demands first

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

In a dramatic statement early this morning, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said President Donald Trump would give it a few more days to see if progress could be made on getting a peace deal between Russia and Ukraine, if not, he will "move on."

"We're not going to continue with this endeavor for weeks and months on end. So we need to determine very quickly now, and I'm talking about a matter of days, whether or not this is doable in the next few weeks," Rubio said Friday in Paris after meeting European and Ukrainian leaders.

The Reuters report did not indicate what, if anything, in those meetings, sparked the somewhat foreboding turn. It is true, though, that broader discussions, at least publicly, have not yielded the straightforward progress that the administration had hoped for, if not promised when Trump took office in January. The administration, led mostly by envoy Steve Witkoff but other top officials including Rubio and Vice President Vance, too, has engaged in numerous meetings now — with Moscow, Kyiv, and European heads of state — but seem no closer to hammering out the fundamentals necessary for a permanent agreement.

"If it's not possible, if we're so far apart that this is not going to happen, then I think the president is probably at a point where he's going to say, 'well, we're done'," Rubio told reporters.

Both Ukraine and Russia appear locked into maximalist demands and attempts at a temporary ceasefire have yielded mixed results, with Russia actually increasing the lethality of its missile strikes, not on energy targets, but on cities, killing dozens of civilians in the last month. In recent weeks, the Trump team as well as Trump, have appeared increasingly frustrated with Russia. Late last month the president said he was "angry" and "pissed off" with what he saw as Moscow's attempts to put monkey wrenches into the process, and threatened more sanctions on the government.

"Whatever Trump may have promised in the past, no sensible analyst ever thought this peace process was going to be quick or easy," noted Lieven after the news.

According to Reuters, three European diplomatic sources told them that Rubio comments reflected growing frustration in the White House over Russian intransigence to end the war. According to the Wall Street Journal, "other Western officials were more optimistic than Rubio about the fate of the talks, saying that Paris meetings had been productive and the U.S. indicated that he has developed a draft concept for how a comprehensive cease-fire might be monitored."

Interestingly, this comes days after Witkoff emerged from talks with Putin himself with a more positive take, saying Monday that he “finally” got an answer to the Russian president's demands for a permanent peace. Witkoff indicated — and this is no surprise — that it revolved around Russian held territories in Ukraine and insisting on no NATO membership for Kyiv. “And I think we might be on the verge of something that would be very, very important for the world at large,” he said.

“It was a compelling meeting,” Witkoff said. “And toward the end, we actually came up with — I’m going to say ‘finally,’ but I don’t mean it in the way that we were waiting, I mean it in the way that it took a while for us to get to this place — what Putin’s request is to get, to have a permanent peace here.”

Lieven said threats like these are part of the negotiation process but the U.S. needs to lay down clear demands for both sides as it is doing so.

"To achieve even a lasting ceasefire, the U.S. negotiating team will need to put forward some concrete and detailed terms for ending the war, and make an explicit threat as to the consequences for whichever side is seen by Washington as most at fault for a failure to agree," he said.

"Russia will need to accept that it will not get any more territory beyond that already occupied, and that the rest of Ukraine will remain sovereign, independent, and sufficiently armed for a credible defense," he added. "Ukraine and the EU will need to agree to a formal promise that Ukraine will not to try to recover its lost territory by force, that it will not get NATO membership or a European 'reassurance force' and that certain categories of weapons will be limited."

These are fundamental to a peace agreement, he added. While Russia can be incentivized by the offer of wider US-Russian detente and the lifting of sanctions, the EU could look forward to a massive EU fund for reconstruction. But both will have to give up their present maximalist demands.

"The threat to Russia must be that if they reject compromise, the U.S. will walk away from the talks, but U.S. aid to Ukraine will continue, greatly strengthening the likelihood that Ukraine will be able to go on making Russian military advances extremely slow, limited, and costly," Lieven added. "The threat to Ukraine and the EU is that if they are intransigent, U.S. aid will stop, greatly increasing the possibility of a Ukrainian collapse."

Of course, it is also quite possible that both sides will remain intransigent. If so, US aid should continue, but at a gradually diminishing level, giving time for the EU gradually to replace it — if it is capable of doing so."

This story has been updated according to ongoing developments


Top photo credit: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives at the Quai d'Orsay, France's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, before a bilateral meeting with his French counterpart in Paris, France April 17, 2025. JULIEN DE ROSA/Pool via REUTERS
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Marco Rubio Munich Security Conference
Top photo credit: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio waves, next to Chairman of the Munich Security Conference Wolfgang Ischinger, as he gets a standing ovation after his speech at the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. Alex Brandon/Pool via REUTERS

Rubio's spoonful of sugar helps hard medicine go down in Munich

Europe


U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in the Munich Security Conference this weekend to sooth transatlantic anxieties. After Vice President J.D. Vance's criticisms of the old continent in 2025, the European dignitaries were looking for a more conventional American performance.

What they got was a peculiar mix of primacist nostalgia and civilizational foreboding, with an explicit desire to forge a path of restoration together.

keep readingShow less
Viktor Orban Peter Magyar
Top photo credit: Viktor Orbán (shutterstock/photoibo) and Peter Magyar (Shutterstock/Istvan Csak)

Could this be the election that brings Hungary's Orban down?

Europe

With two months remaining before the April 12 parliamentary elections, Hungary’s Prime Minister Victor Orban and his Fidesz party face by far their toughest challenge since winning power in 2010.

Many polls show challenger Peter Magyar’s Tisza (Respect and Freedom) party with a substantial lead. Orban’s campaign has responded by stressing his international clout, including close relations with U.S. President Donald Trump, and the prominent role he plays among right-populist Eurosceptics in Europe.

keep readingShow less
Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.
Top photo credit: Members of the media raise their hands to ask questions as U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (not pictured) hold a joint press conference in the State Dining Room at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., September 29, 2025. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.

Middle East

When the George W. Bush administration invaded Iraq in March 2003, that war had 72% support among Americans, according to Gallup.

If Donald Trump now wants to start a U.S. war with Iran, the president would not remotely enjoy that level of support. He doesn’t even have half of it. Scratch that, not even a quarter of Americans want him to bomb Iran today.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.