Follow us on social

google cta
Pope Francis

On Christmas, Pope doubles down, slamming Israel 'cruelty'

This coincides with more evidence that IDF forces are deliberately killing civilians, including children

QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Roman Catholic Pope Francis drew the ire of the Israeli government on the eve of Christmas week by calling the bombing and killing of children "cruelty."

On Saturday Francis responded to an Israeli airstrike that killed 25 Palestinians in Jabalia, including 12 members of one family, seven of them children. The airstrikes, particularly on Gaza's remaining hospitals and tent encampments housing displaced people, have been a daily occurrence.

“Yesterday children were bombed. This is cruelty, this is not war,” the pope told members of the government of the Holy See.

After his Saturday comments, Israel's foreign ministry shot back calling the Pope's remarks “particularly disappointing as they are disconnected from the true and factual context of Israel’s fight against jihadist terrorism — a multi-front war that was forced upon it starting on October 7.”

So the pope doubled down, remarking Sunday:

“And with pain, I think of Gaza, of so much cruelty, of the children being machine-gunned, of the bombings of schools and hospitals. What cruelty,” the pope said after his weekly Angelus prayer. He also called for a "ceasefire on all fronts, in Ukraine, in the Holy Land, throughout the Middle East and throughout the world."

Interestingly, there are still news organizations that will coyly pretend they do not know what Francis is talking about. From The Times of Israel report, which was bylined by staff and wire services: "It was unclear which specific alleged incidents he was referring to. Israel has long said it only targets terrorists, and that Hamas hides among civilian populations to protect itself."

Aside from a monthlong string of recorded incidents in which hospitals and shelters have been bombed by Israel in Gaza, two devastating reports immediately come to mind as a retort. One, the dozens of doctors and nurses who have returned from Gaza and testify to what they saw. Just one quote:

“One day, while in the E.R., I saw a 3-year-old and 5-year-old, each with a single bullet hole to their head. When asked what happened, their father and brother said they had been told that Israel was backing out of Khan Younis. So they returned to see if anything was left of their house. There was, they said, a sniper waiting who shot both children.”

Another:

“I saw many children. In my experience the gunshot wound was often to the head. Many had non-curable, permanent brain damage. It was almost a daily occurrence to have children arrive at the hospital with gunshot wounds to the head.”

Another:

“Nearly all new children admitted during my time died. Almost all of these deaths would not have happened if we had proper nutrition, infection control abilities (as simple as soap and hand sanitizer) and adequate supplies.”

The other report came out in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz this week. It quoted soldiers from the Israeli Defense Forces who admitted and described killing innocent civilians at the Netzarim corridor separating north from south Gaza. A quote from a "recently discharged Division 252 officer":

"We're killing civilians there who are then counted as terrorists...The IDF spokesperson's announcements about casualty numbers have turned this into a competition between units. If Division 99 kills 150 [people], the next unit aims for 200."

And another from a "veteran fighter from Division 252":

"One time, guards spotted someone approaching from the south. We responded as if it was a large militant raid. We took positions and just opened fire. I'm talking about dozens of bullets, maybe more. For about a minute or two, we just kept shooting at the body. People around me were shooting and laughing."

But the incident didn't end there. "We approached the blood-covered body, photographed it, and took the phone. He was just a boy, maybe 16." An intelligence officer collected the items, and hours later, the fighters learned the boy wasn't a Hamas operative – but just a civilian.

These are just two reports of many, anecdotal and institutional, about the "cruelty" of the Israel's war on Gaza, which has now claimed more than 45,000 lives and injured more than 107,000 over the last 14 months. Pope Francis has a pulpit and Christmas may be his best time to use it, given that the holiday's origins are in the West Bank, in the town of Bethlehem. But until governments outside the Vatican start taking these calls for ending war more seriously, the meek will hardly inherit the earth ; they will continue to suffer.


Top photo credit: Pope Francis holds an audience to deliver a Christmas message to Vatican workers in Paul VI Hall at the Vatican, December 21, 2024. REUTERS/Ciro De Luca
google cta
QiOSK
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.