Follow us on social

In reversal, school paper to fight charges against students over parody

In reversal, school paper to fight charges against students over parody

The decision comes after fierce backlash from students and faculty as well as reporting by RS/ The Intercept

Reporting | QiOSK

In a major reversal, Students Publishing Company (SPC) — the parent company of Northwestern University’s student newspaper — announced today that it will now help fight criminal charges against two Northwestern students over a pro-Palestinian parody attacking the university’s stances on the war in Gaza.

“As of yesterday, we have hired legal counsel to work on our behalf with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office to pursue a resolution to this matter that results in nothing punitive or permanent,” SPC board chairman John Byrne wrote in a statement. The decision does not guarantee that prosecutors will drop the charges, but it does ratchet up the pressure to do so.

The news comes less than two days after RS and The Intercept reported a growing wave of backlash against the charges from students, faculty, and alumni of the school.

The charges were brought under a little-known law called theft of advertising services, which appears to only exist in California and Illinois and was originally passed to stop Ku Klux Klan members from inserting unauthorized advertisements into newspapers.

The students, both of whom are Black, allegedly wrapped the parody newspaper around several hundred copies of the Daily Northwestern itself, opening them up to prosecution under the statute. They now face up to a year in jail under the class A misdemeanor — the harshest level of criminal charge below a felony.

“It’s very clear that this is a discriminatory action,” a former Daily Northwestern editor and current student told RS/ The Intercept over the weekend. Another student worried the charges would have a “chilling effect on speech” related to Israel’s war in Gaza.

The board previously doubled down in its support of the charges despite backlash, saying in a statement Monday that “tampering with the distribution of a student newspaper is impermissible conduct.” The SPC is independent from the university, but its board includes prominent alumni as well as several current students and faculty members.

In the new statement, Byrne said SPC was unaware until recent days that the people charged were Black and Northwestern students. “Some may disagree, but these facts matter to us,” he wrote.

Byrne, an attorney who works as a marketing executive at a Chicago law firm, confirmed that SPC asked university police to investigate the incident and that the board had signed complaints against the accused students. The statement claims that SPC “didn’t understand how these complaints started a process that we could no longer control – and something we never intended,” adding that they were never formally informed that charges had been brought.

“We understand and recognize why we need to take action,” Byrne wrote. “We hope to heal the hurt and repair the relationships that have been damaged and frayed by our unintentional foray into the criminal justice system.”

It remains to be seen how the school’s community will respond to SPC’s decision. More than 70 student groups have pledged to boycott the Daily Northwestern by refusing to speak to its reporters until the charges are dropped, a decision that now lies solely in the hands of local prosecutors.


Ken Wolter/ Shutterstock

Reporting | QiOSK
Sens. Paul and Merkley to Trump: Are we 'stumbling' into another war?
Top photo credit: Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky) (Gage Skidmore /Creative Commons) and Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) )( USDA photo by Preston Keres)

Sens. Paul and Merkley to Trump: Are we 'stumbling' into another war?

QiOSK

Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) have co-written a letter to the White House, demanding to know the administration’s strategy behind the now-18 days of airstrikes against the Houthis in Yemen.

The letter calls into question the supposed intent of these strikes “to establish deterrence,” acknowledging that neither the Biden administration’s strikes in October 2023, nor the years-long bombing campaign by Saudi Arabia from 2014 to 2020, were successful in debilitating the military organization's military capabilities.

keep readingShow less
Bernie Sanders Chris Van Hollen
Top image credit: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) speaks during a press conference regarding legislation that would block offensive U.S. weapons sales to Israel, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., November 19, 2024. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
Will Senate vote signal a wider shift away from Israel?

Can Bernie stop billions in new US weapons going to Israel?

Middle East

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and National Security Advisor Mike Waltz have been roundly criticized for the security lapse that put journalist Jeffrey Goldberg into a Signal chat where administration officials discussed bombing Houthi forces in Yemen, to the point where some, like Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) have called for their resignations.

But the focus on the process ignores the content of the conversation, and the far greater crime of continuing to provide weapons that are inflaming conflicts in the Middle East and enabling Israel’s war on Gaza, which has resulted in the deaths of over 50,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians.

keep readingShow less
Friedrich Merz
Top photo credit: German Prime Minister-in-waiting Friedrich Merz (Shutterstock.Penofoto)

German leaders miscalculated popular will for war spending

Europe

Recent polls show the center right Christian Democrats (CDU-CSU) headed by prospective chancellor Friedrich Merz losing ground against the populist right Alternative for Germany (AfD), even before the new government has been formed.

The obvious explanation is widespread popular dissatisfaction with last month’s vote pressed through the outgoing parliament by the CDU-CSU and presumptive coalition partner the SPD (with the Greens) to allow unlimited increases in defense spending. This entailed disabling the constitutional “debt brake” introduced in 2009 to curb deficits and public debt.

keep readingShow less

Trump transition

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.