Follow us on social

google cta
Senate passes bill to compensate victims of US nuke tests

Senate passes bill to compensate victims of US nuke tests

The proposal would dramatically expand eligibility for victims if it passes the GOP-led House

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The Senate passed a bill Thursday that would dramatically expand a compensation program for Americans affected by U.S. nuclear weapons testing and uranium mining.

“It is time to rebuild these communities,” argued Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), a sponsor of the bill, prior to the vote. “This isn't about some kind of welfare program. This is about doing basic justice by the working people of this nation, whom their own government has poisoned.”

The bipartisan, 69-30 vote marks the second time in the past year that the Senate has approved an expansion to the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA), which gives money and medical benefits to uranium miners and people who lived downwind of the Nevada Test Site, where the U.S. military carried out most of its nuclear testing in the 1950s and 60s.

The first RECA vote came last July, when 62 senators approved an amendment to the annual defense policy bill that expanded RECA coverage. Despite intensive lobbying from Hawley and Sen. Ben Ray Lujan (D-N.M.), congressional leadership stripped the measure from the final version of the bill following a Congressional Budget Office finding that the expansion would cost as much as $150 billion over 10 years.

The latest RECA expansion bill cut some of the benefits included in the amendment and managed to bring the price tag down to about $5 billion per year. These changes should make the proposal more likely to pass the House, where some Republicans have expressed concern about the potential costs of the expansion.

Hawley dismissed worries about the bill’s price tag, saying last week that he told Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) that “I didn’t hear a lot of grousing about the cost when we were voting on Ukraine funding or anything else for that matter.”

It is unclear how many Americans will be eligible for compensation if the expansion gets through the House. In New Mexico, where the first ever nuclear test took place, some victims have had more than 20 family members get radiation-related cancers. One activist told RS last year that she lost seven family members to diseases she believes are linked to nuclear testing.

President Joe Biden declared his support for the bill Wednesday. “The President believes we have a solemn obligation to address toxic exposure, especially among those who have been placed in harm’s way by the government’s actions,” according to a White House statement.

The bill would expand eligibility for “downwinders” — those who lived downwind of U.S. nuclear tests — to include victims in Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Guam, and Colorado. It would also extend RECA to cover all of Nevada, Utah, and Arizona, as well as people living near nuclear waste sites in Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alaska.

The vote came 11 years to the day after Tina Cordova, a leading activist of RECA expansion and a cancer survivor, lost her father to a cancer that she believes was caused by the “Trinity Test” — the first ever nuclear explosion, recently depicted in the blockbuster film Oppenheimer.

“The cancer metastasized to his neck and throat before becoming inoperable and consuming his body,” said Sen. Lujan of New Mexico during the debate prior to today’s vote. Cordova “made it her life's mission to fight for justice [and] compensation for her family and the thousands of victims of our nation's nuclear weapons program,” the lawmaker added.

Cordova, who will be Lujan’s guest at Thursday’s State of the Union address, told RS in December that the decision to strip RECA expansion from last year’s defense policy bill was “shockingly immoral.”

“Today, the Senate took another step forward in the long journey to delivering justice to Americans suffering from radiation exposure,” Lujan said in a statement after the vote. “Let's be clear: the fight is not over. I urge the House to pass RECA without delay and get help to families who are deeply suffering.”


Sen. Ben Ray Lujan (D-N.M.) speaks before the vote on RECA expansion. (Screengrab via senate.gov)

google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.