Follow us on social

As bombs fly, are Americans in Lebanon on their own?

As bombs fly, are Americans in Lebanon on their own?

State Department so far has no plans to evacuate thousands of nationals, despite reports that US gave Israel green light for war

Analysis | Middle East

UPDATE 10/4 6:45 a.m.: The U.S. State Department said Wednesday that it had arranged flights for 250 American citizens out of Lebanon this week, but so far no large scale plans for evacuation have been activated.

While the U.S. has reportedly given the green light to Israel’s cross-border war with Hezbollah, the State Department has so far made it clear that, as of now, American nationals seeking to flee Lebanon are down to some meager options.

“At this time there are commercial [flight] options available,” State Department representative Matthew Miller said in a Sept. 30 press briefing in response to a question about an evacuation operation. “We are exploring other potential options, should we need to, but it’s not a decision we’ve made as of yet.”

Stories are already surfacing of Americans trapped in Lebanon, trying to get out. According to 2022 estimates, there are approximately 86,000 Americans in the country.

“Flights are being canceled. My flight got canceled two times already and my third flight. I just got the email today also got canceled,” said Jonathan Sahyoun, a San Francisco Bay area resident who is now in Beirut visiting family.

“Whether it's through the beaches or these military airports. I think that we are just counting on the U.S. government to get us out, because I don't think anybody feels safe driving toward Beirut in the condition it’s in," he told the local news in San Francisco.

The Middle East accelerated towards all-out war on Tuesday, ticked off by Israel’s Hezbollah offensive into Lebanon in the morning and the hundreds of missiles fired out of Iran and into Israel later in the night. The death toll in Lebanon has exceeded 1,000 in the past two weeks, with Israeli airstrikes killing 95 people on Monday alone.

Amidst this incurring invasion, however, the U.S. has yet to form a plan for American nationals in Lebanon — fleeing American made-bombs, no less — beyond offering loans for the small number of remaining commercial flight services out of the country.

To be fair, the U.S. is not alone: no nation has adopted a large-scale military evacuation for their nationals in Lebanon thus far. The critical difference, however, is that none of these other nations are also actively supporting and funding Israel’s aggressive actions that are putting those nationals in harm’s way.

In a statement made Sept. 28 on X, U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin expressed support for Israel’s “right to defend itself” against Iranian-backed terrorist groups in Lebanon and elsewhere in the Middle East. Two days earlier, Israel said it secured $8.7 billion in aid from the U.S. for its military operations.

By contrast, Israel’s invasion into Lebanon on Oct. 1 prompted condemnation from other leaders across the world. The U.K., while less fervent in its disapproval of Israel, did announce plans on Tuesday to charter a plane to Beirut, offering seats for its citizens and dependents for £350 each.

A State Department spokesperson told Responsible Statecraft that they are working with international partners and airline carriers to expand the current limited capacity of commercial flights out of Lebanon for American citizens.

“We have been exploring options on how to best assist U.S. citizens in Lebanon. Our planning incorporates the overall security situation, availability and reliability of commercial transportation, and U.S. citizen demand,” the spokesperson said. “We have been and will continue to monitor the situation in Lebanon closely and will provide information directly on options for U.S. citizens to depart as they become available.”

The Department encouraged American citizens in Lebanon to fill out their crisis intake form, which offers help with passports, visas for accompanying spouses or minors, and applying for a loan from the U.S. government to finance travel expenses out of the country.

Further action may indeed not be far away, with the U.S. stationing dozens more troops in Cyprus last week for a potential evacuation situation in Lebanon. It took the U.S. just three days after Israel’s invasion of Lebanon on July 13, 2006 to begin a large-scale evacuation project that eventually removed almost 15,000 Americans from Lebanon in the following months.

But how much will the U.S. tolerate this time around when the actions of its friends yet again endanger its own people? Based on its general complacency so far in the region, this remains alarmingly unclear.

Aaron Sobczak contributed to research for this article.

Thanks to our readers and supporters, Responsible Statecraft has had a tremendous year. A complete website overhaul made possible in part by generous contributions to RS, along with amazing writing by staff and outside contributors, has helped to increase our monthly page views by 133%! In continuing to provide independent and sharp analysis on the major conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East, as well as the tumult of Washington politics, RS has become a go-to for readers looking for alternatives and change in the foreign policy conversation. 

 

We hope you will consider a tax-exempt donation to RS for your end-of-the-year giving, as we plan for new ways to expand our coverage and reach in 2025. Please enjoy your holidays, and here is to a dynamic year ahead!

REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein

A flight information display screen shows information on a cancelled flight at the Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport, in Beirut, Lebanon August 26, 2024. REUTERS/Ahmed Saad

Analysis | Middle East
Amnesty International calls Israel's actions in Gaza genocide
Top Photo: Palestinians inspect their destroyed homes after an Israeli air strike on a house belonging to the Hassan family, in the Nuseirat camp in the central Gaza Strip, on May 19, 2024. Anas-Mohammed / Shutterstock.com

Amnesty International calls Israel's actions in Gaza genocide

QiOSK

Today, Amnesty International became the first major human rights organization to accuse Israel of carrying out a genocide in Gaza, releasing a detailed report to substantiate this claim.

“Our research reveals that, for months, Israel has persisted in committing genocidal acts, fully aware of the irreparable harm it was inflicting on Palestinians in Gaza,” says Agnès Callamard, Secretary General of Amnesty International. “It continued to do so in defiance of countless warnings about the catastrophic humanitarian situation and of legally binding decisions from the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ordering Israel to take immediate measures to enable the provision of humanitarian assistance to civilians in Gaza.”

keep readingShow less
Diego Garcia
Top image credit: DIEGO GARCIA, British Indian Ocean Territory – Sailors assigned to U.S. Navy Support Facility Diego Garcia watch as HMS Tamar (P233), the fourth of the five Batch 2 River-class offshore patrol vessels operated by the Royal Navy, arrives in Diego Garcia for a scheduled port visit Feb. 15, 2023. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Jesus O. Aguiar)

No, Mauritius isn't planning to 'give' US base at Diego Garcia to China

Asia-Pacific

Anti-China fearmongers on both sides of the Atlantic are pushing U.S. President-elect Donald Trump to overturn the rule of international law and a surprising recent victory for diplomacy — rather than military might — to resolve international disputes.

Backed by conservative and other news outlets, a campaign of disinformation, smears, and falsehoods is escalating to get Trump to try to tank a historic deal announced in October that actually gives the U.S. military exactly what it wants: control of its base on the secretive Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia for 99 years or more.

keep readingShow less
Syria conflict
Top photo credit: Puppeteer Walid Rashed performs a puppet show for Syrian children amidst the rubble of damaged buildings. (Dpa photographer Anas Alkharboutli who took this picture was later killed in the renewed fighting in Syria.) (Reuters)

Turkey and Israel are reaping rewards from the chaos in Syria

Middle East

The surprise offensive by Syrian rebels led by a radical Islamist group with roots in Al Qaeda dramatizes the enormous regional repercussions set off by Israel’s war against Lebanon’s Hezbollah.

Badly battered by Israel’s air strikes and ground campaign in southern Lebanon, Hezbollah’s inability, at least for now, to be a prominent player in defense of the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is a real game-changer, as evidenced by the ease and speed with which the insurgents advanced on the ground after launching their campaign on Nov 27.

keep readingShow less

Election 2024

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.