Follow us on social

google cta
Iran Israel ceasefire

Accusations already test Trump brokered Iran-Israel ceasefire

While Israel's war aims appear unfinished, US President nonetheless declares that peace is better than long war in the Middle East

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

A fragile ceasefire that was brokered by President Trump late Monday and went into effect early Tuesday could serve to end the violence between Israel and Iran, which has been responsible for the loss of hundreds of lives and no doubt billions of dollars of damage in both countries.

The fighting began when Israel launched a surprise missile attack against Iran on June 13, striking its nuclear facilities and assassinating scores of its military leaders and scientists in their beds, their families and nearby civilians also falling victim to attacks over the course of several days. Iran launched its own retaliatory attacks, killing upwards of 30 and injuring thousands across Israel, according to Israel's Health Ministry, as missiles repeatedly broke through the nation's vaunted missile defense shields. According the Washington-based Human Rights Activists, Iranian deaths range over 974 and injuries over 3400.

It was not clear until overnight Eastern Time that all sides had agreed to the ceasefire, but as of this morning, Israel was already accusing Iran of breaking it by launching missiles in violation. Israel responded by ordering "intense strikes" on Tehran. Iran denied launching the missiles. Trump weighed in and said he was "not happy" with Israel's move to strike Iran and reportedly asked them to turn their planes back. According to Barak Ravid of Axios, Israel "scaled back" its operation accordingly.

"We have two countries that have been fighting so long and so hard that they don't know what the f--k they are doing," he said to reporters in what was probably the first presidential f-bomb made during in a press gaggle, on camera, in history.

The day leading up to the ceasefire at 4 a.m. Middle East-time was a violent one. Iran reportedly killed four people in Beersheba in a missile blast, destroying an apartment building and severely damaging surrounding structures. For its part, Israel killed several IRGC members in strikes on Iranian bases Monday. In the meantime, Iran also launched limited retaliatory strikes against the U.S. base in Qatar.

The ceasefire announcement, made on Trump's Truth Social, reportedly came as a surprise to even top officials in the White House. It came days after the Trump administration launched its own attacks on the Iranian nuclear program. In the aftermath it is clear that the program had not been "obliterated" as Trump said on Saturday, but to Trump, the goals of the operation appeared to have been met and it was better to stop the fighting than get into "a War that could have gone on for years and destroyed the entire Middle East."


This puts the Israelis in an interesting situation. Reports indicated that their missile defenses were being taxed at home and needed the help from the U.S. to deal the necessary blows to the nuclear program in Tehran. However, Iran is likely already reconstituting what was lost in Saturday's attacks. It is not clear Israel will accept a job halfway done after making Iran out to be a threat to its existence.

“Having decided to hitch the Israeli horse to the Trump wagon, Netanyahu had no choice,” Israeli-based commentator Ori Goldberg told Al Jazeera. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, for his part, claimed overnight that the nation's goals had been achieved, with the “immediate” nuclear threat removed, as well as the threat to Israel from Iranian ballistic missiles.

“Netanyahu decided to gamble on Trump coming to his rescue. Trump did, and Netanyahu is therefore obligated to assist in Trump’s goal, which was and still is ultimately securing the regional deal and not launching a regional war.”


Top photo credit: une 24, 2025, Tehran, Iran: Members of the Iranian Red Crescent rescue teams during an Israeli attack in Tehran. Iran's Red Crescent said an Israeli strike hit near its building in northern Tehran on June 23, as fighting between Iran and Israel raged for the 11th day. (Credit Image: © Ircs via ZUMA Press Wire)
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Marco Rubio Munich Security Conference
Top photo credit: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio waves, next to Chairman of the Munich Security Conference Wolfgang Ischinger, as he gets a standing ovation after his speech at the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. Alex Brandon/Pool via REUTERS

Rubio's spoonful of sugar helps hard medicine go down in Munich

Europe


U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in the Munich Security Conference this weekend to sooth transatlantic anxieties. After Vice President J.D. Vance's criticisms of the old continent in 2025, the European dignitaries were looking for a more conventional American performance.

What they got was a peculiar mix of primacist nostalgia and civilizational foreboding, with an explicit desire to forge a path of restoration together.

keep readingShow less
Viktor Orban Peter Magyar
Top photo credit: Viktor Orbán (shutterstock/photoibo) and Peter Magyar (Shutterstock/Istvan Csak)

Could this be the election that brings Hungary's Orban down?

Europe

With two months remaining before the April 12 parliamentary elections, Hungary’s Prime Minister Victor Orban and his Fidesz party face by far their toughest challenge since winning power in 2010.

Many polls show challenger Peter Magyar’s Tisza (Respect and Freedom) party with a substantial lead. Orban’s campaign has responded by stressing his international clout, including close relations with U.S. President Donald Trump, and the prominent role he plays among right-populist Eurosceptics in Europe.

keep readingShow less
Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.
Top photo credit: Members of the media raise their hands to ask questions as U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (not pictured) hold a joint press conference in the State Dining Room at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., September 29, 2025. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.

Middle East

When the George W. Bush administration invaded Iraq in March 2003, that war had 72% support among Americans, according to Gallup.

If Donald Trump now wants to start a U.S. war with Iran, the president would not remotely enjoy that level of support. He doesn’t even have half of it. Scratch that, not even a quarter of Americans want him to bomb Iran today.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.