Follow us on social

google cta
Tower 22 attack jordan us army

US outpost not given proper air defenses before deadly attack

Army investigation reported by the Washington Post indicates that while Ukraine was getting 'whatever it needed,' our troops in the Middle East were not.

Analysis | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

For three years the United States has been giving Ukraine everything it needs by way of offensive and defensive weapons in its war with Russia. Critically, this has included air defense systems, much of it taken from our own national stockpiles.

Now it turns out that our own troops may have been denied access to anti-drone air defense systems and more sophisticated radar detection months before a lethal attack on a small American outpost in Jordan on Jan. 18, 2024. The drone assault, reportedly launched by the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an Iranian-backed militia group, resulted in the deaths of three American Army soldiers.

According to the Washington Post, which obtained access to the massive Army internal investigation of the incident through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, the small outpost was ill-prepared for the attack on a number of levels. But this is key:

The investigation’s findings appear to have some contradictions. For instance, investigators faulted Tower 22’s leaders for failing to “visualize risk” and not appreciating the likelihood of an attack.

Yet commanders above them also failed to envision the base’s vulnerability. Four months before the attack, Army Central, which oversees operations throughout the Middle East, denied a request for an air defense system capable of shooting down drones because, investigators found, only one such system was available and troops in the United States needed it to prepare for deployments. A request for a radar system that could better detect drones also was denied, the report said.

The only counter-drone defenses at Tower 22 were electronic warfare systems designed to disable the aircraft or disrupt their path to a target, according to the investigation and previous reporting by The Post.

A spokesperson for Army Central did not respond to repeated requests for additional information, including regarding who at Army Central denied Tower 22’s appeal for an air defense system.

That "previous reporting" found that:

The early findings, which have not been previously reported, indicate that the drone may have been missed “due to its low flight path,” a U.S. defense official with direct knowledge of the assessment told The Washington Post. Additionally, this person said, the base, known as Tower 22, was not outfitted with weapons that can “kill” aerial threats like drones, and instead relied on electronic warfare systems designed to disable them or disrupt their path to a target.

It is outrageous to think that after the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas attacks on Israel, when the entire region was put on heightened alert, that this outpost was not considered at risk enough to get what it needed to protect itself, especially after some 160 drone and rocket attacks had been launched against similar U.S. outposts in Syria and Iraq at the time.

Meanwhile, the Council on Foreign Relations has a nifty tracker of all the funding and specific weapons (more than $70 billion) that the United States has given to Ukraine since Feb. 2022 including all sorts of anti-drone and anti-missile air defense systems. On October 11, 2023, just three months before the Tower 22 attack, the U.S. announced a new tranche of weapons, "up to $200 million" from the stockpiles, including "additional air defense capabilities, anti-tank weapons, and other equipment to help Ukraine counter Russia's ongoing war of aggression." It was the among a series of tranches that fall that included drawdowns from the DoD stockpiles and aid to contract for more.

Experts had been warning that up until the end of the Biden administration, DoD stockpiles were running low of the sophisticated weapons systems, including air defenses.

An email to CENTCOM public affairs to ask about this thread in the Washington Post report was unreturned as of Monday afternoon.

"This report is maddening to me," said Ret. Lt. Col. Daniel Davis, a senior military fellow at Defense Priorities and host of the Deep Dive podcast. "Its unconscionable to have denied adequate air defense for the risk all of our troops face. We've spent hundreds of billions on Ukrainian defenses and we skimped on our own. Shameful."

He added the longstanding critique that subsequent administrations, including the current Trump team, have not articulated why these troops are even in the Middle East today (2,000 in Syria and 2,500 in Iraq). The outpost in Jordan was reportedly part of U.S. "anti-ISIS" operations in that region just over the Syria border.

"These troops provide zero strategic benefit to the U.S.," he added. "The claim that we're there for the 'enduring defeat of ISIS' is complete military nonsense. It's simply untrue. The troops should be withdrawn, immediately. Doing so would not only reduce our risk in the region, it would end the potential for the death of American servicemembers."


Top photo credit: February 2, 2024, Dover, De, USA: The United States Army Old Guard Carry Team moves a transfer case to the transport vehicle during the dignified transfer of United States Army Sergeant William Rivers of Willingboro, N.J., Sergeant Kennedy Sanders of Waycross, Ga. and Sergeant Breonna Moffett of Savannah, Ga. at Dover Air Force Base in Dover, Del. on February 2, 2024. (Credit Image: © Scott Serio/Cal Sport Media/Sipa USA)
google cta
Analysis | QiOSK
Marco Rubio Munich Security Conference
Top photo credit: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio waves, next to Chairman of the Munich Security Conference Wolfgang Ischinger, as he gets a standing ovation after his speech at the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. Alex Brandon/Pool via REUTERS

Rubio's spoonful of sugar helps hard medicine go down in Munich

Europe


U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in the Munich Security Conference this weekend to sooth transatlantic anxieties. After Vice President J.D. Vance's criticisms of the old continent in 2025, the European dignitaries were looking for a more conventional American performance.

What they got was a peculiar mix of primacist nostalgia and civilizational foreboding, with an explicit desire to forge a path of restoration together.

keep readingShow less
Viktor Orban Peter Magyar
Top photo credit: Viktor Orbán (shutterstock/photoibo) and Peter Magyar (Shutterstock/Istvan Csak)

Could this be the election that brings Hungary's Orban down?

Europe

With two months remaining before the April 12 parliamentary elections, Hungary’s Prime Minister Victor Orban and his Fidesz party face by far their toughest challenge since winning power in 2010.

Many polls show challenger Peter Magyar’s Tisza (Respect and Freedom) party with a substantial lead. Orban’s campaign has responded by stressing his international clout, including close relations with U.S. President Donald Trump, and the prominent role he plays among right-populist Eurosceptics in Europe.

keep readingShow less
Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.
Top photo credit: Members of the media raise their hands to ask questions as U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (not pictured) hold a joint press conference in the State Dining Room at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., September 29, 2025. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Trump hasn't bombed Iran yet. He must be reading these polls.

Middle East

When the George W. Bush administration invaded Iraq in March 2003, that war had 72% support among Americans, according to Gallup.

If Donald Trump now wants to start a U.S. war with Iran, the president would not remotely enjoy that level of support. He doesn’t even have half of it. Scratch that, not even a quarter of Americans want him to bomb Iran today.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.