Follow us on social

google cta
Grok

Grok’s latest gig? A $200 million Pentagon contract

The DoD is paying AI power hitters top dollar to bolster its bottom line, even in the ‘warfighting domain’

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Last week, X’s AI-powered chatbot Grok publicly melted down. This week, xAI’s newly announced “Grok for government,” which repurposes Grok to serve myriad federal agencies, has secured a $200 million Department of Defense contract.

On Monday, the Department of Defense Chief Digital and Artificial Intelligence Office announced $200 million contracts for xAI, the company operating Grok on the social media platform X, and other prominent AI-forward or centric companies, including Anthropic, OpenAI, and Google, to “leverage the technology…of U.S. frontier AI companies to develop agentic AI workflows across a variety of mission areas”— including within the “warfighting domain.”

DoD Chief Digital and Artificial Intelligence Officer Dr. Doug Matty explained the DoD’s rationale for the contracts in the press release announcing them. But exactly how the initiative would bolster the DoD’s warfighting effort, and why hundreds of millions are needed for the initiative, still seems somewhat unclear.

“The adoption of AI is transforming the Department’s ability to support our warfighters and maintain strategic advantage over our adversaries,” DoD Chief Digital and Artificial Intelligence Officer Dr. Doug Matty said. “Leveraging commercially available solutions into an integrated capabilities approach will accelerate the use of advanced AI as part of our Joint mission essential tasks in our warfighting domain as well as intelligence, business, and enterprise information systems.”

Asked what the contracts might entail within the “warfighting domain,” a DoD official told RS: “DoD plans to leverage the talent and technology of U.S. frontier AI companies to develop agentic AI workflows across a variety of mission areas. The Department will not further elaborate on mission-specific use cases at this time.”

AI tools like Large Language Models (LLMs) have become popular since AI pioneer ChatGPT’s public debut in late 2022, with governments and federal agencies increasingly looking to incorporate AI into their operations.

But when it comes to war, practical and ethical concerns exist. First, the widespread application of AI technology within wartime contexts, by outsourcing warfighting and the decisions related to AI-powered tools may depersonalize warfighting and make it easier to get into conflict.

Meanwhile, AI-powered tools can also be unpredictable — Grok itself unexpectedly spiraled last week after changes to its code led to a public meltdown. They can be known to even pass off false information as true, leading to concerns its use within military contexts might lead to significant battlefield errors and even loss of life.

Deep tech companies have increasingly collaborated with the defense sector in recent years, especially relating to AI. For example, OpenAI dropped its ban on AI military applications in early 2024. Military operations during Israel’s war on Gaza and the war in Ukraine have also used AI, especially as a military targeting tool.


Top image credit: The xAI and Grok logos are seen in this illustration photo taken on 05 November, 2023 in Warsaw, Poland. Elon Musks's xAI company this week introduced Grok, its converstional AI which is says can match GPT 3.5 in performance. (Photo by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto)NO USE FRANCE [Reuters Connect]
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Asia-Pacific

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep readingShow less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.