Follow us on social

2023-03-16t000000z_2051431167_mt1abcpr846072001_rtrmadp_3_abaca-press-scaled

Why aren't we talking about Russia almost downing a UK spy plane?

An incident that could have triggered NATO’s defense clause has been all but ignored on US television news programs.

Analysis | Reporting | Europe

A major concern about the increasing U.S. and NATO role in the war in Ukraine is that it could spiral out of control into a wider, much larger, and direct conflict with Russia, one that has the potential to go nuclear. 

That possibility was narrowly avoided last September when a Russian fighter jet nearly shot down a British spy plane over the Black Sea. 

While UK Defense Minister Ben Wallace disclosed a version of this incident back in October, the actual details are much more worrying than what he presented, according to classified documents that an air national guardsman allegedly leaked through a Discord chat.   

The Washington Post first reported on the incident on April 9, calling it a “near miss,” and that it was “more significant than was previously disclosed.” The New York Times followed up three days later with two U.S. defense officials confirming the story and providing more detail:  

…the Russian pilot had misinterpreted what a radar operator on the ground was saying to him and thought he had permission to fire. The pilot, who had locked on the British aircraft, fired, but the missile did not launch properly.

So if we were one malfunctioning missile away from this war taking a more catastrophic turn with the United States more directly involved, why haven’t we heard much about it? 

Shouldn’t a near miss incident such as this one perhaps give us pause to think more deeply about how miscommunications like this one could bring this war to the next escalatory level?

“This exceptionally dangerous incident emphasizes the need both for the avoidance of needless provocations, and for clear agreed rules to manage and avoid potential clashes,” said Anatol Lieven, Eurasia Program Director at the Quincy Institute. 

While the story has made the rounds on print media, mainstream television news has almost entirely ignored it. According to a search of LexisNexis and TV Eyes, the story was mentioned briefly on ABC’s World News Now and America This Morning, and MSNBC’s Way Too Early — all three programs that air in the middle of the night or very early morning — one day after the Post report. But that’s it. No other cable or network television news program has covered it, not even after the Times confirmed it with more details. 

Focusing almost exclusively on the details of the Discord leaks — a 21-year-old reservist trying to impress his younger friends with classified information — probably does make for good TV — but not if it comes at the expense of a more sober look at what these documents actually reveal, especially about the U.S.-role in the devastating war in Ukraine.


Handout - The US military's European Command has released footage of the Tuesday encounter between a US surveillance drone and a Russian fighter jet as it played out over the Black Sea. The newly declassified video depicts critical moments in the mid-air encounter, which the Pentagon said lasted 30-40 minutes. The video shows the camera of the MQ-9 Reaper drone pointed backward toward its tail and the drone’s propeller, which is mounted on the rear, spinning. Then, a Russian Sukhoi SU-27 fighter jet is shown approaching. As it draws closer, the Russian fighter dumps fuel as it intercepts the US drone. In another portion of the footage, the Russian jet makes another pass. As it approaches, it again dumps fuel. The video from the drone is then disrupted as the Russian fighter jet collides with the MQ-9 Reaper, damaging the propeller and ultimately forcing the US to bring down the drone in the Black Sea. Russia has denied that a collision occurred. When the camera comes back online in the footage, the view is again pointed backward, and the propeller is shown damaged from the collision. Video grab U.S. European Command via ABACAPRESS.COM
Analysis | Reporting | Europe
Afghanistan withdrawal
Lloyd Austin, Kenneth McKenzie, and Mark Milley in 2021. (MSNBC screengrab)

Turns out leaving Afghanistan did not unleash terror on US or region

Military Industrial Complex

It will be four years since the U.S. withdrew from Afghanistan on Aug. 30, 2021, ending a nearly 20-year occupation that could serve as a poster child for mission creep.

What began in October 2001 as a narrow intervention to destroy al-Qaeda, the terrorist group that perpetrated the 9/11 attacks, and topple the Taliban government for refusing to hand over al-Qaeda’s leader, Osama bin Laden, morphed into an open-ended nation-building operation that killed 2,334 U.S. military personnel and wounded over 20,000 more.

keep readingShow less
Francois Bayrou Emmanuel Macron
Top image credit: France's Prime Minister Francois Bayrou arrives to hear France's President Emmanuel Macron deliver a speech to army leaders at l'Hotel de Brienne in Paris on July 13, 2025, on the eve of the annual Bastille Day Parade in the French capital. LUDOVIC MARIN/Pool via REUTERS

Europe facing revolts, promising more guns with no money

Europe

If you wanted to create a classic recipe for political crisis, you could well choose a mixture of a stagnant economy, a huge and growing public debt, a perceived need radically to increase military spending, an immigration crisis, a deeply unpopular president, a government without a majority in parliament, and growing radical parties on the right and left.

In other words, France today. And France’s crisis is only one part of the growing crisis of Western Europe as a whole, with serious implications for the future of transatlantic relations.

keep readingShow less
Starmer Macron Merz
Top image credit: France's President Emmanuel Macron, Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Germany's Chancellor Friedrich Merz arrive at Kyiv railway station on May 10, 2025, ahead of a gathering of European leaders in the Ukrainian capital. LUDOVIC MARIN/Pool via REUTERS

Europe's snapback gamble risks killing diplomacy with Iran

Middle East

Europe appears set to move from threats to action. According to reports, the E3 — Britain, France, and Germany — will likely trigger the United Nations “snapback” process this week. Created under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal (JCPOA), this mechanism allows any participant to restore pre-2015 U.N. sanctions if Iran is judged to be in violation of its commitments.

The mechanism contains a twist that makes it so potent. Normally, the Security Council operates on the assumption that sanctions need affirmative consensus to pass. But under snapback, the logic is reversed. Once invoked, a 30-day clock begins. Sanctions automatically return unless the Security Council votes to keep them suspended, meaning any permanent member can force their reimposition with a single veto.

keep readingShow less

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.