Follow us on social

google cta
010-himars-in-jordan-dvids

US weapons makers report ‘all-time record orders’ since Russian invasion

As the war in Ukraine rages on, defense contractors are seeing major new demand for their wares.

Reporting | Military Industrial Complex
google cta
google cta

Several of America’s largest defense companies reported record jumps in new contracts this week as the war in Ukraine continues to stoke a massive increase in demand for weapons.

Lockheed Martin CEO Jim Taiclet told investors in a Wednesday earnings call that his company’s backlog of weapons contracts grew to $150 billion from $135 billion in 2021, a jump that was “driven by all-time record orders.” Lockheed produces multiple weapons that have been in high demand since Russia’s brutal invasion, including Javelin missiles and High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS).

General Dynamics, which makes Abrams tanks and Stryker armored vehicles, announced that its backlog of contracts reached an “all-time high” of $91.1 billion, a four percent increase from 2021. Raytheon Technologies’ missile and defense sector earned a “record backlog” of $34 billion in 2022, and Raytheon’s total defense backlog hit $70 billion in the fourth quarter, a 10 percent jump from last year.

“Our products and technologies have been instrumental in helping the people of Ukraine defend itself,” argued Raytheon CEO Greg Hayes in a Tuesday earnings call. Chris Calio — Raytheon’s chief operating officer — noted later in the call that “our backlog is expected to continue to grow, given the heightened and increasingly complex threat environment.”

The boost in new contracts comes in part from orders to refill the stockpiles of the United States and its NATO allies, which have contributed tens of billions of dollars worth of weapons to Ukraine since last year. Hayes said Wednesday that only $6 billion of replenishment contracts have been doled out so far, a number that will likely grow next year given that Congress has allocated over $30 billion for efforts to arm Ukraine and rebuild U.S. stockpiles.

And, as the Washington Post editorial board recently noted, the Pentagon’s latest budget will “do far more than replenish U.S. stockpiles.”

“It lays the foundation for a vastly revitalized defense industrial base — and does so with one eye on the People’s Republic of China,” the Post wrote.

Notably, the three companies, which largely rely on taxpayer-funded government contracts, also boasted large stock dividends and buybacks in 2022. In total, the contractors gave $19.6 billion to shareholders, with Lockheed alone spending $11 billion, as Eli Clifton reported Wednesday in RS.


The M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), much like the ones being sent to Ukraine. (US Army photo)
google cta
Reporting | Military Industrial Complex
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
KC-135 Stratotanker
US Air Force (USAF) KC-135R Stratotanker, 92nd Air Refueling Wing (ARW), Fairchild AFB, Washington (US Air Force photo)

Military tankers for Iran attack deploying near Iraq War levels

QiOSK

Military experts say the U.S. asset mobilization in the Middle East theater is now resembling a real staging for war, with the prevailing chatter more about "when" than "if" an attack will happen.

One of the data points catching the eye of these experts is the number of air tankers — military aircraft used to refuel combat fighters in midair — that are in or headed to the region. Open source intelligence analysts say there are at least 108 such tankers either in CENTCOM theater as of Friday (31) or in strategic locations outside that command or staging in Europe. Most are KC-135 Stratotankers, made by Boeing. (Editor's note: This information has been updated).

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.