Follow us on social

google cta
19064739186_c2ae8ca00d_o-scaled

Congress bucks Biden, blocks $75 million in military aid to Egypt

A leading Democratic senator rejected the notion that Cairo has made efforts to improve its human rights record in the past year.

Middle East
google cta
google cta

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) blocked $75 million of security funding for Egypt after determining that the country’s leaders have not rolled back their attack on political dissidents, failing to meet a condition that Congress put on aid to Cairo in a law passed last year, according to Reuters.

“We can't give short shrift to the law because of other policy considerations,” Leahy, who chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee, told Reuters in a statement. “We all have a responsibility to uphold the law and to defend the due process rights of the accused, whether here or in Egypt.”

The move highlights the extent to which Congress has soured on Egypt in recent years. Once considered a steadfast security partner, many on Capitol Hill now view Cairo as a serious liability for U.S. policy, especially under the authoritarian rule of President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi.

In total, last year’s law put conditions on $300 million worth of military aid to Egypt. The Biden administration recently pledged to block $130 million of that support, but the State Department said it would release $75 million following progress on Egypt’s treatment of political prisoners. Leahy rejected that finding, arguing that “the situation facing political prisoners in Egypt is deplorable.” The status of the remaining $95 million remains unclear.

Seth Binder, the director of advocacy at the Project on Middle East Democracy, applauded Leahy’s decision on Twitter.

“Ultimately, this sends a strong message to Sisi’s regime that it must address Congress’s concerns over human rights,” Binder wrote, adding that the administration’s determination that Sisi had made “clear and consistent progress” was “not credible.”

Notably, the move will only hold up a fraction of the $1.3 billion in security aid that Washington sends Cairo each year, opening up questions about how much of an impact it will really have on human rights in Egypt. 

Still, it does appear to be part of a broader increase in skepticism toward Middle East autocrats in Washington.

Just a couple of weeks ago, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates also stumbled into Congress’ crosshairs when the Saudi-dominated oil cartel OPEC+ voted to cut production despite concerns from the U.S. Following that decision, members of Congress called for a fundamental re-evaluation of Washington’s relationship with the Gulf countries, with some demanding a full-scale withdrawal of U.S. troops from their territory. Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he would hold up any arms sales to Saudi Arabia “beyond what is absolutely necessary to defend U.S. personnel and interests.”

And President Joe Biden himself has signaled that he is on-board with a shift in U.S. policy toward Riyadh and Abu Dhabi. As a White House spokesperson recently noted, Biden is “willing to work with Congress to think through what that relationship ought to look like going forward.”


Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.). (CSIS/ CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)
google cta
Middle East
Us-army-soldiers
Top photo credit: U.S. Army Soldiers, from the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team depart for Afghanistan from Italy on Feb. 25, 2005. (U.S. Air Force Photo by Staff Sgt. Bethann Caporaletti)

Could the US win a war with a near-peer adversary today?

Military Industrial Complex

“One should never assert a power that he cannot exert,” said British statesman and wordsmith Winston Churchill. My hometown football coach expressed a similar thought: “The man with an alligator mouth and a hummingbird ass” would get more than his share of whippings.

The U.S. military today has a hummingbird’s ass. Despite decades of sky-high military spending, our force is incapable of defeating a peer or near-peer adversary in today’s complex, dangerous world. If we continue on our alligator-mouth-sized trajectory, the consequences will be catastrophic.

keep readingShow less
G7 Summit
Top photo credit: May 21, 2023, Hiroshima, Hiroshima, Japan: (From R to L) Comoros' President Azali Assoumani, World Trade Organization (WTO) Director-General Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the G7 summit in Hiroshima, Japan. (Credit Image: © POOL via ZUMA Press Wire)

Middle Powers are setting the table so they won't be 'on the menu'

Asia-Pacific

The global order was already fragmenting before Donald Trump returned to the White House. But the upended “rules” of global economic and foreign policies have now reached a point of no return.

What has changed is not direction, but speed. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney’s remarks in Davos last month — “Middle powers must act together, because if we’re not at the table, we’re on the menu” — captured the consequences of not acting quickly. And Carney is not alone in those fears.

keep readingShow less
Vice President JD Vance Azerbaijan Armenia
U.S. Vice President JD Vance gets out of a car before boarding Air Force Two upon departure for Azerbaijan, at Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan, Armenia, February 10, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Pool

VP Vance’s timely TRIPP to the South Caucasus

Washington Politics

Vice President JD Vance’s regional tour to Armenia and Azerbaijan this week — the highest level visit by an American official to the South Caucasus since Vice President Joe Biden went to Georgia in 2009 — demonstrates that Washington is not ignoring Yerevan and Baku and is taking an active role in their normalization process.

Vance’s stop in Armenia included an announcement that Yerevan has procured $11 million in U.S. defense systems — a first — in particular Shield AI’s V-BAT, an ISR unmanned aircraft system. It was also announced that the second stage of a groundbreaking AI supercomputer project led by Firebird, a U.S.-based AI cloud and infrastructure company, would commence after having secured American licensing for the sale and delivery of an additional 41,000 NVIDIA GB300 graphics processing units.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.