Follow us on social

Shutterstock_1098435338-scaled

US sanctions Syrian rebel group for crimes against Kurds

The move highlights the many contradictions of US policy in the war-torn country.

Reporting | Middle East

The Biden administration has imposed sanctions on Syrian rebels for their involvement in the Turkish occupation of northern Syria on Wednesday.

The U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control announced that Ahrar al-Sharqiya would be added to the “specially designated nationals” list, imposing economic sanctions on the Syrian militia.

The United States has rarely sanctioned Syrian insurgents, and has never sanctioned Turkey’s Syrian proxy army. Many of the other groups in the Turkish-backed Syrian National Army have received U.S. weapons and training. Ahrar al-Sharqiya fought alongside these groups but never received U.S. assistance.

“Ahrar al-Sharqiya has committed numerous crimes against civilians, particularly Syrian Kurds, including unlawful killings, abductions, torture, and seizures of private property,” the U.S. Treasury noted in a statement. “The group has also incorporated former Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) members into its ranks. These horrific acts compound the suffering of a population that has repeatedly endured mass displacement.”

One of Ahrar al-Sharqiya’s most infamous crimes was the execution-style murder and mutilation of Syrian Kurdish politician Hevrin Khalaf in October 2019. At the time, then-U.S. special envoy James Jeffrey reportedly blocked a statement condemning the murder.

“It is good to sanction the groups that committed crimes,” Syrian Kurdish diplomat Sinam Mohamad wrote in a text message to Responsible Statecraft.

Turkey has launched several incursions against the U.S.-backed, Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, which Ankara says are linked to Kurdish rebels inside Turkey. The Trump administration gave a tacit green light to the 2018 operation, and an explicit one to the October 2019 campaign.

The Turkish military has used Syrian fighters to maintain control over occupied areas. Those fighters have been accused of war crimes, from looting property to holding civilians hostage in torture prisons.

The militias have also profited from the occupation, stealing from and extorting Afrini farmers whose olives were sold to American supermarkets.

Many of the rebel groups involved in the occupation used to receive weapons and training from the United States before joining the Turkish proxy force. Ahrar al-Sharqiya, which never received U.S. support, once threatened U.S. special forces deployed alongside Turkish-backed rebels in an infamous 2016 incident.

Earlier this month, the U.S. State Department added Turkey to the list of countries that use child soldiers, the first time a NATO ally was added to the list. The State Department accused the Sultan Murad Division — a formerly U.S.-backed, now Turkish-backed rebel group — of recruiting children to fight as mercenaries in Libya.

U.S. law allows Treasury to sanction entities that “threaten the peace, security, stability, or territorial integrity of Syria,” under an October 2019 executive order signed by then President Donald Trump in response to the Turkish invasion.

The order was used to sanction some Turkish officials, but those sanctions were lifted a week later. The executive order was also used to sanction the Syrian regime, which has committed atrocities against Syrian civilians but was not involved in the Turkish invasions.

However, the order was never used against the Turkish-backed militia groups. Mohamed, the Kurdish diplomat, had called for the U.S. government to designate those groups in an interview with Al-Monitor last week.

She told Responsible Statecraft on Wednesday that the United States should continue to sanction “many others” responsible for war crimes. Mohamed hails from Afrin, and her family olive business was looted during the Turkish occupation.

She said that she is “looking forward” to accountability for those “who robbed my property in Afrin.”


Turkish Army and Free Syrian Army operating in Syria 23 February 2018, Afrin - Syria (Photo: quetions123 via shutterstock.com)
Reporting | Middle East
Sens. Paul and Merkley to Trump: Are we 'stumbling' into another war?
Top photo credit: Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky) (Gage Skidmore /Creative Commons) and Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) )( USDA photo by Preston Keres)

Sens. Paul and Merkley to Trump: Are we 'stumbling' into another war?

QiOSK

Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) have co-written a letter to the White House, demanding to know the administration’s strategy behind the now-18 days of airstrikes against the Houthis in Yemen.

The letter calls into question the supposed intent of these strikes “to establish deterrence,” acknowledging that neither the Biden administration’s strikes in October 2023, nor the years-long bombing campaign by Saudi Arabia from 2014 to 2020, were successful in debilitating the military organization's military capabilities.

keep readingShow less
Bernie Sanders Chris Van Hollen
Top image credit: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) speaks during a press conference regarding legislation that would block offensive U.S. weapons sales to Israel, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., November 19, 2024. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
Will Senate vote signal a wider shift away from Israel?

Can Bernie stop billions in new US weapons going to Israel?

Middle East

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and National Security Advisor Mike Waltz have been roundly criticized for the security lapse that put journalist Jeffrey Goldberg into a Signal chat where administration officials discussed bombing Houthi forces in Yemen, to the point where some, like Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) have called for their resignations.

But the focus on the process ignores the content of the conversation, and the far greater crime of continuing to provide weapons that are inflaming conflicts in the Middle East and enabling Israel’s war on Gaza, which has resulted in the deaths of over 50,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians.

keep readingShow less
Friedrich Merz
Top photo credit: German Prime Minister-in-waiting Friedrich Merz (Shutterstock.Penofoto)

German leaders miscalculated popular will for war spending

Europe

Recent polls show the center right Christian Democrats (CDU-CSU) headed by prospective chancellor Friedrich Merz losing ground against the populist right Alternative for Germany (AfD), even before the new government has been formed.

The obvious explanation is widespread popular dissatisfaction with last month’s vote pressed through the outgoing parliament by the CDU-CSU and presumptive coalition partner the SPD (with the Greens) to allow unlimited increases in defense spending. This entailed disabling the constitutional “debt brake” introduced in 2009 to curb deficits and public debt.

keep readingShow less

Trump transition

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.