Follow us on social

google cta
Shutterstock_1098435338-scaled

US sanctions Syrian rebel group for crimes against Kurds

The move highlights the many contradictions of US policy in the war-torn country.

Reporting | Middle East
google cta
google cta

The Biden administration has imposed sanctions on Syrian rebels for their involvement in the Turkish occupation of northern Syria on Wednesday.

The U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control announced that Ahrar al-Sharqiya would be added to the “specially designated nationals” list, imposing economic sanctions on the Syrian militia.

The United States has rarely sanctioned Syrian insurgents, and has never sanctioned Turkey’s Syrian proxy army. Many of the other groups in the Turkish-backed Syrian National Army have received U.S. weapons and training. Ahrar al-Sharqiya fought alongside these groups but never received U.S. assistance.

“Ahrar al-Sharqiya has committed numerous crimes against civilians, particularly Syrian Kurds, including unlawful killings, abductions, torture, and seizures of private property,” the U.S. Treasury noted in a statement. “The group has also incorporated former Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) members into its ranks. These horrific acts compound the suffering of a population that has repeatedly endured mass displacement.”

One of Ahrar al-Sharqiya’s most infamous crimes was the execution-style murder and mutilation of Syrian Kurdish politician Hevrin Khalaf in October 2019. At the time, then-U.S. special envoy James Jeffrey reportedly blocked a statement condemning the murder.

“It is good to sanction the groups that committed crimes,” Syrian Kurdish diplomat Sinam Mohamad wrote in a text message to Responsible Statecraft.

Turkey has launched several incursions against the U.S.-backed, Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, which Ankara says are linked to Kurdish rebels inside Turkey. The Trump administration gave a tacit green light to the 2018 operation, and an explicit one to the October 2019 campaign.

The Turkish military has used Syrian fighters to maintain control over occupied areas. Those fighters have been accused of war crimes, from looting property to holding civilians hostage in torture prisons.

The militias have also profited from the occupation, stealing from and extorting Afrini farmers whose olives were sold to American supermarkets.

Many of the rebel groups involved in the occupation used to receive weapons and training from the United States before joining the Turkish proxy force. Ahrar al-Sharqiya, which never received U.S. support, once threatened U.S. special forces deployed alongside Turkish-backed rebels in an infamous 2016 incident.

Earlier this month, the U.S. State Department added Turkey to the list of countries that use child soldiers, the first time a NATO ally was added to the list. The State Department accused the Sultan Murad Division — a formerly U.S.-backed, now Turkish-backed rebel group — of recruiting children to fight as mercenaries in Libya.

U.S. law allows Treasury to sanction entities that “threaten the peace, security, stability, or territorial integrity of Syria,” under an October 2019 executive order signed by then President Donald Trump in response to the Turkish invasion.

The order was used to sanction some Turkish officials, but those sanctions were lifted a week later. The executive order was also used to sanction the Syrian regime, which has committed atrocities against Syrian civilians but was not involved in the Turkish invasions.

However, the order was never used against the Turkish-backed militia groups. Mohamed, the Kurdish diplomat, had called for the U.S. government to designate those groups in an interview with Al-Monitor last week.

She told Responsible Statecraft on Wednesday that the United States should continue to sanction “many others” responsible for war crimes. Mohamed hails from Afrin, and her family olive business was looted during the Turkish occupation.

She said that she is “looking forward” to accountability for those “who robbed my property in Afrin.”


Turkish Army and Free Syrian Army operating in Syria 23 February 2018, Afrin - Syria (Photo: quetions123 via shutterstock.com)
google cta
Reporting | Middle East
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.