Follow us on social

Shutterstock_1840645132-scaled

Groups call on Biden to offer Iran coronavirus relief

A letter to the president says he should 'follow through on his call for urgently-needed humanitarian relief to Iran.'

Reporting | Middle East

More than 40 humanitarian and human rights organizations called on the Biden administration to lift economic restrictions that are making it more difficult for Iran to deal with the coronavirus pandemic in a Wednesday open letter.

The United States is currently enforcing strict sanctions on the Iranian economy, many of them imposed during the Trump administration’s “maximum pressure” campaign.

The letter by antiwar, human rights, and religious organizations calls on “President Joe Biden to follow through on his call for urgently-needed humanitarian relief to Iran amid the devastating toll of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Signatories include the Quaker volunteer organization American Friends Service Committee, the progressive think tank Win Without War, the National Iranian American Council, the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft, and the Presbyterian Church’s Office of Public Witness. 

"Iran's COVID infection rates are at about the highest levels we have seen since the start of the pandemic. Any delays in vaccination will directly translate into a grave risk to the lives of ordinary Iranians," said Mani Mostofi, director of the human rights organization Miaan Group, in a statement. "Because sanctions on Iran clog up the global financial system and the country's access to foreign currency, it's imperative that the Biden Administration proactively ensure the US is not responsible for exacerbating this health crisis."

Iran is now facing more than 400 coronavirus deaths per day, the highest number in months, a wave that officials blame on gatherings for the Iranian spring holiday of Nowruz.

Iranian leaders originally said they would shun American- or British-made vaccines, but has since begun importing British-made AstraZeneca vaccines through the COVAX channel. Only two percent of the population has been vaccinated so far.

As a candidate, Biden had complained that while U.S. sanctions law technically exempts food and medicine, “most governments and organizations are too concerned about running afoul of U.S. sanctions to offer assistance” to virus-stricken Iran. He called for several specific measures to make it easier to offer assistance to sanctioned countries.

The Biden administration is currently undergoing a review of how sanctions affect coronavirus response worldwide.

“We commend President Biden for making the defeat of the pandemic his top priority, and for announcing a review of how sanctions have inhibited humanitarian trade amid the COVID-19 pandemic on Day 2 of his administration,” the letter states. 

But, the letter adds, Biden has “plenty of opportunities” to offer relief now that he is in office.

The letter also calls on the Biden administration to allow Iran to use its frozen assets to buy food and medicine.

Billions of dollars in Iranian export revenues and other funds are currently held up in foreign banks due to U.S. sanctions. Iran has struggled to pay for food imports, and foreign exporters have cut ties with Iran due to the sanctions.

Although the maximum pressure campaign began in 2018, the United States took until 2020 to set up a “humanitarian channel” for Iran to pay for food and medicine through Swiss banks. The channel has only processed one transaction so far.

South Korea and Iran have been in talks to use some of the $7 billion in Iranian money held up in South Korean banks for buying food and medicine, but South Korean authorities say they need permission from the U.S. Treasury to proceed, and U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has publicly opposed releasing the money.

Blinken said in March that any sanctions relief would have to come as part of an agreement to return to the 2015 nuclear deal. Under that deal, six world powers had agreed to lift the economic embargo on Iran in exchange for restrictions on the Iranian nuclear program.

The Trump administration broke from the deal when it began its maximum pressure campaign, prompting Iran to ramp up its own nuclear activities, although Tehran maintains that it will come back into compliance if the United States does so as well.

The world powers are now in negotiations to restore the nuclear deal, with all sides optimistic about the outcome.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that talks were about “60, 70 percent” done, while U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price claimed that “there has been some progress” but “we have more road ahead of us than we do in the rearview mirror.”

Wednesday’s letter, however, argues that the fight against coronavirus should not be held hostage to nuclear diplomacy.

“Such urgent humanitarian steps cannot be tied to our broader disputes with the Iranian government,” it states. “COVID-19 is a shared threat, and the U.S. needs to treat it like one.”


Tehran / Iran - Oct 25, 2020: Two senior citizens are walking in a street and protect their face with shield and medical masks against pandemic coronavirus. (Photo: Farzad Frames via shutterstock.com)
Reporting | Middle East
Bernie Sanders Chris Van Hollen
Top image credit: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) speaks during a press conference regarding legislation that would block offensive U.S. weapons sales to Israel, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., November 19, 2024. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
Will Senate vote signal a wider shift away from Israel?

Can Bernie stop billions in new US weapons going to Israel?

Middle East

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and National Security Advisor Mike Waltz have been roundly criticized for the security lapse that put journalist Jeffrey Goldberg into a Signal chat where administration officials discussed bombing Houthi forces in Yemen, to the point where some, like Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) have called for their resignations.

But the focus on the process ignores the content of the conversation, and the far greater crime of continuing to provide weapons that are inflaming conflicts in the Middle East and enabling Israel’s war on Gaza, which has resulted in the deaths of over 50,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians.

keep readingShow less
Friedrich Merz
Top photo credit: German Prime Minister-in-waiting Friedrich Merz (Shutterstock.Penofoto)

German leaders miscalculated popular will for war spending

Europe

Recent polls show the center right Christian Democrats (CDU-CSU) headed by prospective chancellor Friedrich Merz losing ground against the populist right Alternative for Germany (AfD), even before the new government has been formed.

The obvious explanation is widespread popular dissatisfaction with last month’s vote pressed through the outgoing parliament by the CDU-CSU and presumptive coalition partner the SPD (with the Greens) to allow unlimited increases in defense spending. This entailed disabling the constitutional “debt brake” introduced in 2009 to curb deficits and public debt.

keep readingShow less
Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?
Top Image Credit: The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), foreground, leads a formation of Carrier Strike Group Five ships as Air Force B-52 Stratofortress aircraft and Navy F/A-18 Hornet aircraft pass overhead for a photo exercise during Valiant Shield 2018 in the Philippine Sea Sept. 17, 2018. The biennial, U.S. only, field-training exercise focuses on integration of joint training among the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. This is the seventh exercise in the Valiant Shield series that began in 2006. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erwin Miciano)

Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?

QiOSK

U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted an airstrike in Somalia against ISIS targets on Saturday, killing “multiple ISIS-Somalia operatives.” It was the eighth such strike in the short time that Trump has been in office, reflecting a quiet, but deadly American campaign in a part, of the world that remains far below the public radar.

“AFRICOM, alongside the Federal Government of Somalia and Somali Armed Forces, continues to take action to degrade ISIS-Somalia's ability to plan and conduct attacks that threaten the U.S. homeland, our forces, and our civilians abroad,” a Sunday AFRICOM press release stated.

keep readingShow less

Trump transition

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.