Follow us on social

google cta
Steve Witkoff envoy

Trump envoy Witkoff: Gaza uninhabitable for at least 15 years

Says Hamas must physically leave the strip; acknowledges that Palestinians may return

Analysis | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Steve Witkoff, President Trump’s Special Envoy to the Middle East said on CBS’ “Face the Nation” Sunday that “people don’t belong living” in the besieged Gaza Strip for “at least 15 years.”

Addressing reporter Margaret Brennan’s questions about Palestinians’ right to return to Gaza, Witkoff emphasized that the Strip was uninhabitable.

“Level setting the facts suggest that nobody can really live [in Gaza] in a safe environment for probably at least 15 years,” Witkoff said. “And so there's a lot of work that has to be done there. There's tons of demolition, there's artillery shells all over the place that could explode at any moment. This is a much longer project, and people don't belong living there right now.”

"[Trump's] come up with a new notion. And the new notion is, let's create a better opportunity for these, for people who have lived in Gaza to have a better life for themselves, better upside, better aspirations for what can happen for their children and so forth,” Witkoff told Brennan.

Witkoff also stressed that Hamas must be barred from power — and from Gaza. “Hamas cannot be allowed to come back into the government,” Witkoff explained. “They've got to leave, and we're going to — the negotiation will be around that.”

“I would say [Hamas needs to leave] physically,” Witkoff explained. He said that the Trump administration had ideas about where Hamas could go, but could not yet publicly comment on them.

Hamas’ recent shows of strength, brandishing new weapons, uniforms, trucks, and equipment in recent hostage release videos indicate their abject lack of interest in leaving Gaza “physically” anytime soon.

Altogether, Witkoff’s comments parrot Trump’s previously floated Gaza comments from February 4, where he said the U.S. would “take over the Gaza Strip.” The proposal would force the displacement of Palestinians into various Arab nations that since repeatedly rejected the notion. Forced displacement is illegal under international law.

Witkoff did leave the door open for Palestinians’ right to return to Gaza on “Face the Nation,” clarifying, "I'm not sure that anyone has a problem with people — with people returning.” But Trump previously argued in a February 10 Fox News interview that they wouldn’t have the right under his plan.

"No, [Palestinians] wouldn't [have a right of return] because they're going to have much better housing…I'm talking about building a permanent place for them [elsewhere]” Trump had said.

Facing international backlash over what many would consider ethnic cleansing, the Trump administration has publicly walked back parts of the president’s initial Gaza proposal. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt, for example, clarified on February 5 that Trump’s plans for Palestinians were for temporary accommodation, rather than permanent relocation. Trump himself said he was “not forcing” his Gaza proposal in a Fox News radio interview Friday.

Witkoff’s “Face the Nation” comments yesterday, however, signal the Trump administration’s commitment to some kind of U.S. Gaza takeover plan, even if some details remain unclear.


Top image credit: Gov. Kathy Hochul, U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff, more - "Face the Nation" Full Broadcast, Feb. 23, 2025 (You Tube/Screenshot)
google cta
Analysis | QiOSK
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.