Follow us on social

google cta
Marines

Reports: US Marine Rapid Response Unit heading to conflict zone

These are separate from 2,000 troops put on standby for Israel-Gaza already.

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

The Pentagon has sent a U.S. Marine rapid response unit consisting of 2,000 Marines and sailors to the region "to send a message of deterrence to Iran and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah" in the conflict in Israel-Gaza, according to reports early Tuesday morning.

According to CNN, the unit will join the two U.S. carrier groups in the Eastern Mediterranean. The U.S.S. Gerald Ford is already there; the U.S.S. Dwight Eisenhower left for the region this week. From CNN:

The 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), which specializes in tasks such as amphibious operations, crisis response, humanitarian assistance, and certain special operations, had been stationed near Kuwait in recent weeks as part of a scheduled exercise there. But it departed early “as a result of emerging events,” Capt. Angelica White, a spokeswoman for the unit, told the Marine Corps Times on Wednesday.

This comes on the news Monday that a "defense force" of 2,000 individuals including "service members with a variety of capabilities and specialties, including providing medical support and handling explosives" has been "picked" and put on shortened pre-deployment status but was not going anywhere, yet. A Wall Street Journal report by Nancy Youssef had more detail:

"...the Pentagon decision signaled it is preparing to support Israeli troops should Israel launch a ground incursion into Gaza. It is unclear how many of those troops, should they be deployed, would go into Israel. But the officials said that at least some of them could enter the country to support Israeli forces. A predeployment order doesn’t mean the troops will certainly deploy but rather shortens the time troops need to be ready to move."

Reports say this handpicked defense force is separate from the rapid response unit sent to the region.

Meanwhile, the carrier groups can carry about 10,000 personnel between the two of them and bring significant firepower and strategic capabilities to bear. The U.S.S. Ford, aside from its fighter aircraft and missiles, sails with the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser Normandy, and the Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyers Hudner, Ramage, Carney, and Roosevelt. These ships carry surface-to-air, surface-to-surface, and anti-submarine warfare capabilities.

The U.S.S. Eisenhower carries fighter jets, helicopters and intel, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft.

This story is developing


U.S. Marines with Charlie Battery, Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit during a simulated embassy reinforcement at Kin, Okinawa, Japan, Sept. 12, 2020. (U.S. Marine Corps video by Lance Cpl. Colton K. Garrett)
U.S. Marines with Charlie Battery, Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit during a simulated embassy reinforcement at Kin, Okinawa, Japan, Sept. 12, 2020. (U.S. Marine Corps video by Lance Cpl. Colton K. Garrett)
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Asia-Pacific

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep readingShow less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.