Follow us on social

google cta
Prosecutors drop charges against students for pro-Palestinian parody

Prosecutors drop charges against students for pro-Palestinian parody

The parent company of the Daily Northwestern backed down after days of backlash and promises to boycott from students, faculty, and alumni

Reporting | Media
google cta
google cta

This article was co-published with The Intercept.

Following days of backlash, prosecutors have decided to drop the criminal case against two Northwestern University students who created a parody version of the school’s student newspaper attacking Northwestern’s stance on the war in Gaza.

Police brought the misdemeanor charges after the company behind the university’s student paper, Students Publishing Company, or SPC, announced that it had “engaged law enforcement to investigate and find those responsible.” The mock front page featured fake quotes from school officials, accusations of Israeli war crimes, and a fake ad for Birthright Israel — the travel abroad program that sends young American Jews to Israel — with the tagline “One man’s home is another man’s former home!”

But on Wednesday, following a report by The Intercept and Responsible Statecraft, SPC announced that it would actively seek for the charges to be dropped, and prosecutors agreed to close the case.

“Given the specific nature of these cases, we have thoroughly reviewed the circumstances and engaged in discussions with Northwestern University and its campus newspaper provider,” said the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office in a statement. “As a result of this review, we have decided to dismiss the charges.”

Prosecutors say the misdemeanor charges were filed directly by police and were not actively approved by the state’s attorney’s office. “Our criminal justice system should only be utilized when there is no other recourse for accountability,” the prosecutors added. “Northwestern University and campus police are fully equipped to hold the involved individuals accountable, ensuring that such matters are handled in a manner that is both appropriate to the educational context and respectful of students' rights.”

The reversal follows days of harsh backlash from students, faculty, and alumni of Northwestern. More than 70 student groups had promised to boycott the Daily Northwestern until charges were dropped, and more than 5,000 people signed a petition calling for the case to be dropped.

As Responsible Statecraft and The Intercept reported Monday, the two students, both of whom are Black, were charged with theft of advertising services, a little-known law originally proposed to prevent Ku Klux Klan members from inserting unauthorized ads into newspapers. By wrapping some copies of their parody paper around the Daily Northwestern itself, the students opened themselves up to liability under the statute, which carries penalties of up to a year in prison and a $2,500 fine.

The report led to sharp criticism from media figures, including Washington Post columnist Karen Attiah, who called the charges “outrageous.” Daniel Denvir of Jacobin slammed the decision to pursue the case as “absolutely outrageous and hysterical repression.”

The SPC board, led by Chicago-area attorney John Byrne, released a statement expressing regret that students faced criminal penalties and announcing that the group would hire attorneys to help get prosecutors to drop the charges. "We didn’t understand how these complaints started a process that we could no longer control – and something we never intended," Byrne wrote in the statement, arguing that he did not understand that a complaint to police would lead to charges.

In explaining its reversal, SPC said it had not previously known that the people charged were Black and students at Northwestern. Byrne said the board hopes to rebuild trust with the Northwestern community.

“We hope to heal the hurt and repair the relationships that have been damaged and frayed by our unintentional foray into the criminal justice system,” he wrote in the statement.


A photo of the parody cover of the Daily Northwestern mocking Northwestern University's stances on Israel's war in Gaza. (Obtained by Responsible Statecraft and The Intercept)
google cta
Reporting | Media
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Washington Politics

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep readingShow less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.