Follow us on social

google cta
NATO Arctic

Is NATO creating an Arctic crisis to placate Trump on Greenland?

The alliance's buildup to confront questionable Russian and Chinese threats lacks the diplomacy necessary to stave off escalation

Analysis | Global Crises
google cta

Last week, NATO launched “Arctic Sentry,” a new “multi-domain activity” that, for the first time, places Allied operations in the Arctic under a single command structure. The move marks a significant scaling-up of NATO's footprint in the Arctic. But unfortunately, as NATO’s regional military presence increases, the mechanisms for preventing that footprint from generating a crisis are not keeping pace.

“In the face of Russia’s increased military activity and China’s growing interest in the High North, it was crucial that we do more,” said NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on February 11.

Russia and China are indeed increasing their activities in the Arctic. But an “Enhanced Vigilance Activity” without a parallel investment in deconfliction is incomplete deterrence: it signals resolve while leaving the door wide open to accidental escalation.

Arctic Sentry arrives in a politically charged context. President Trump has ramped up tensions in the alliance by threatening to annex Greenland. The mission follows Trump’s meeting with Rutte in Davos, where they agreed NATO should do more for Arctic defense and “prevent the Russians and the Chinese getting more access to the Arctic region.”

Even after Europe dispatched a small, symbolic force to Greenland last month, the White House made clear that European troops there would not change Trump’s mind about annexation.

Now, to ease inter-alliance tensions and stave off Trump’s calls for annexation, those same Allies are rallying behind claims about Russian and Chinese encroachment that their own officials had earlier dismissed.

The ensuing buildup

The pace of force commitments since the Arctic Sentry announcement has been striking. Days after the launch, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer told the Munich Security Conference that the UK will deploy its carrier strike group up north this year “in a powerful show of force against Russian threats in the Arctic,” led by the HMS Prince of Wales and operating alongside the U.S., Canada, and other NATO Allies. The deployment will include activity under the Arctic Sentry umbrella.

A carrier strike group signals a serious commitment to the region and is useful for deterrence, but it also raises the risks of military interactions in an already tense part of the world.

Sweden is joining with JAS 39 Gripen fighters around Iceland and Greenland. Germany is sending four Eurofighter jets. Denmark is providing four F-35 fighter jets. The UK has committed to doubling its troop deployment to Norway to 2,000 over three years.

Arctic Sentry follows Baltic Sentry, launched in January 2025 to protect critical infrastructure in Baltic waters, and Eastern Sentry, an ongoing deterrence mission along NATO’s eastern borders since September 2025. NATO is now running three simultaneous “Sentry” operations along its entire northern and eastern perimeter.

NATO says Arctic Sentry isn’t a formal operation and doesn’t imply permanent deployments. But the trend is clear: more coordination, more activity, and more military signaling, but not enough crisis-management tools to match.

Risks in the Arctic

The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) warned in late 2025 that the risk of inadvertent escalation is especially high in Northern Europe, and that NATO reinforcements in the Arctic could have unintended consequences for strategic stability, including raising the specter of nuclear escalation.

Both Russia and NATO have nuclear-armed submarines moving through Arctic waters. Russia uses the region to test nuclear-powered cruise-missiles and underwater drones. Sweden, NATO’s newest member, is in talks with France and the UK on possible nuclear weapons cooperation.

Both NATO and Russian officials argue that their own buildup is just a response to what the other side is doing. Each side’s deterrence rationale feeds the other’s threat perception, and neither side has invested adequately in the off-ramps.

Moscow is predictably concerned about Arctic Sentry. The Russian Foreign Ministry called the mission “yet another provocation by Western countries, which are attempting to impose their own rules in this part of the world.” Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko argued that the peaceful architecture of the Arctic region, which has been built up for decades, is being dismantled “in order to demonize Russia and militarize the region,” at precisely the moment when the Arctic needs collaboration more than ever. Russia’s embassy in Denmark says Russia’s “military-technical” reaction to Arctic Sentry will be proportionate to NATO decisions.

These statements illustrate precisely the action-reaction dynamic that should concern policymakers. Without functioning de-escalation channels, every new deployment increases opportunities for unintended escalation spirals.

The biggest risk in the Arctic isn’t a planned attack. It may start as something small: an air intercept that goes wrong in bad weather, a near-miss between a ship and a submarine, a misread military drill, or a political overreaction to a minor incident.

Guardrails alongside deterrence

Arctic Sentry should be paired with Arctic risk-reduction measures modelled on OSCE confidence- and security-building measures. There’s already a foundation to build on.

The U.S. and Russia recently agreed to restart high-level military-to-military dialogue for the first time since 2021. NATO allies should support and widen this effort.

NATO and Russia should invite each other’s observers to military exercises to build trust and prevent these drills from being viewed as aggressive. Russia has already signaled an openness to hosting NATO observers. Last year, military officers from the U.S. and two other NATO members, Hungary and Turkey, observed the Russian-Belarusian Zapad drills.

NATO has not formally invited Russian observers to NATO exercises since 2022. The last invitation was for the Norwegian-led NATO exercise, Cold Response 2022, which Russia declined after the Ukraine war started. Norway did not invite Russia to observe Nordic Response 2024 or Joint Viking 2025. Russian-Chinese drills in recent years, such as Ocean 2024, have not had confirmed NATO observers.

NATO and Russia should restart talks on routine military data exchanges. Russia has refused to exchange military data since 2022, calling the decision a response to the non-compliance of other OSCE member states.

Restarting these deconfliction measures would reduce the risk of miscalculation as both NATO and Russia increase their activities. Guardrails and deterrence should go hand in hand.


Top image credit: Dutch Marines stand in front of a jet, during the visit of NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at a base, as part of a military exercise called "Cold Response 2022", gathering around 30,000 troops from NATO member countries plus Finland and Sweden, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, in Bardufoss in the Arctic Circle, Norway, March 25, 2022. REUTERS/Yves Herman/File Photo
Analysis | Global Crises
US military Palau
Top photo credit: .S. Marines from 1st Marine Division attend Palau’s 25th annual boat race at the Japan-Palau Friendship Bridge, Sept. 29, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by 1st Lt Oscar R. Castro)

Palau (Shutterstock)

US working to expand control over Compact states in the Pacific

Washington Politics

The United States is quietly working to reassert its control over the compact states, three island states in the central Pacific Ocean.

Last month, witnesses at a congressional hearing revealed that the Trump administration is expanding military and intelligence operations in Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Witnesses told lawmakers that the three countries occupy an area critical to U.S. power projection and pivotal for geopolitical competition with China.

keep reading Show less
Ngo Dinh Diem vietnam coup assassination
Top photo credit: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles (from left) greet South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem at Washington National Airport. 05/08/1957 (US Air Force photo/public domain) and the cover of "Kennedy's Coup" by Jack Cheevers (Simon & Schuster)

'Kennedy's Coup' signaled regime change doom loop for US

Media

Reading a book in which you essentially follow bread crumbs to a seminal historical event, it’s easy to spot the neon signs signaling pending doom. There are plenty of “should have seen that coming!” and “what were they thinking?” moments as one glides through the months and years from a safe distance. That hindsight is absurdly comforting in a way, knowing there is an order to things, even failure.

But reading Jack Cheevers' brand new “Kennedy’s Coup: A White House Plot, a Saigon Murder, and America's Descent into Vietnam” just as the Trump administration is overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela is hardly comforting. Hindsight’s great if used correctly. But the zeal for regime change as a tool for advancing U.S. interests is a persistent little worm burrowed in the belly of American foreign policy, and no consequence — certainly not the Vietnam War, which killed more than 58,000 U.S. service members and millions of Vietnamese civilians before ending in failure for our side — is going to stop Washington from trying again, and again.

keep reading Show less
Marco Rubio Munich Security Conference
Top photo credit: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio waves, next to Chairman of the Munich Security Conference Wolfgang Ischinger, as he gets a standing ovation after his speech at the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. Alex Brandon/Pool via REUTERS

Rubio's spoonful of sugar helps hard medicine go down in Munich

Europe


U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in the Munich Security Conference this weekend to sooth transatlantic anxieties. After Vice President J.D. Vance's criticisms of the old continent in 2025, the European dignitaries were looking for a more conventional American performance.

What they got was a peculiar mix of primacist nostalgia and civilizational foreboding, with an explicit desire to forge a path of restoration together.

keep reading Show less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.