Follow us on social

google cta
Mike Huckabee Israel Palestine Gaza

Huckabee justifies food blockade to people he once said don’t exist

Someone should tell the former governor that starving civilians is a war crime under US and international law

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

U.S. Ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, acknowledged Monday that Israel is blocking humanitarian aid to civilians in Gaza, which is a war crime under international law, including the Geneva Convention and the Rome Statute.

In a video posted to social media, Huckabee, who once said Palestinians don’t really exist, said the “real pressure” belongs on Hamas to sign “an agreement” to release hostages first.




The ambassador’s statement came after direct pressure from the World Health Organization to end the almost two-month blockade. Additionally, multiple heads of United Nations agencies released a joint statement earlier in the month, saying “with the tightened Israeli blockade on Gaza now in its second month, we appeal to world leaders to act – firmly, urgently and decisively – to ensure the basic principles of international humanitarian law are upheld.”

Indeed, most aid agencies have ended operations in the strip, and agency officials have reported that children are suffering from severe malnutrition, often eating only one meal a day.

“This action would further aggravate conditions of life calculated to destroy the Palestinian population of Gaza. No one benefits from this—not the Palestinians, not the Israelis, not the North Americans—none of us. Together, we can stop this monstrosity,” said Francesca Albanese, U.N. Special Rapporteur on the Occupied Palestinian Territories, in her response. She also reminded the ambassador that blocking humanitarian aid was a war crime.

“This is a flagrant violation of both international law and American law. It is atrocious that an American diplomat would express full-throated support for such an atrocity,” commented the Quincy Institute’s Annelle Sheline.

The cease-fire agreements and proposals on the table have never conditioned aid upon the release of all hostages. In fact, Hamas has offered the release of all hostages under different proposals. Additionally, Benjamin Netanyahu has thwarted the process itself with new demands.

“They (Netanyahu’s government) are not interested in reaching a deal, so no 'pressure' on Hamas is going to change their thinking,” said Sheline.


Top Photo: Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee attends a ceremony marking the construction of a new housing complex in the Israeli settlement of Efrat in the occupied West Bank August 1, 2018. REUTERS/Amir Cohen
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.