Follow us on social

google cta
Lithuania US soldiers

Deaths of US soldiers put European deployments in spotlight

The bodies of 4 young men were just pulled from a sunken tank in Lithuania

Analysis | Latest
google cta
google cta

Last week, four young U.S. soldiers tragically died in a training exercise in Lithuania, highlighting the inherent risks faced by American forces stationed across Europe. With about 100,000 troops in the region, experts question the strategic value of America’s military presence — while President Trump says he wants a 20,000-troop reduction and European leaders urge an increase in U.S. support.

Following a week of searching, all of the bodies of missing U.S. soldiers were found in Lithuania. The soldiers’ identities have been released: Sgt. Jose Duenez Jr., 25, of Joliet, Illinois; Sgt. Edvin F. Franco, 25, of Glendale, California; Pfc. Dante D. Taitano, 21, of Dededo, Guam, and Staff Sgt. Troy S. Knutson-Collins, 28, of Battle Creek, Mich.

The men were operating an armored Hercules vehicle as part of a training operation and were reported as missing on Tuesday March 25, followed by an extensive search. Their bodies, as well as the vehicle, were located in a bog in the town of Pabradė, which is around 6 miles from the Belarusian border.

While incidents like this in Europe aren’t common, it wasn’t the first time American servicemembers perished in Europe outside of combat. Four Americans were killed during the infamous 1988 Ramstein Air Show when an aircraft fell out of the sky and crashed into a crowd of servicemembers and civilian onlookers. Six American military flight crew members were killed in Croatia in 1996 when the pilots of a Boeing CT-43 carrying civilians and government officials crashed into a mountain close to the Dubrovnik airport.

Today the United States has roughly 84,000 active duty troops stationed in Europe. President Biden sent 20,000 troops there following Putin’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022, saying, “In Poland, we're going to establish a permanent headquarters of the U.S. 5th Army Corps and strengthen NATO interoperability across the entire eastern flank.” The International Institute for Strategic Studies estimates that around 39,000 American forces are in Germany, 14,000 in Poland, 13,000 in Italy, and 10,000 in the United Kingdom. Lithuania hosts a rotating force of around 1,000 American soldiers.

Additionally, Washington has over 40 military bases in Europe, with Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom hosting the most installations. Most of the bases are jointly operated with NATO partners.

President Trump has expressed frustration with the uneven security relationship between the United States and its European partners. While he has suggested withdrawing troops from Europe he has disregarded the idea of withdrawing all of them, saying, “I don’t think we’d have to do that. I wouldn’t want to do that.”

Trump did remove around 12,000 American soldiers from Germany in 2020, but almost half moved to other NATO countries rather than returning home. Nevertheless, some European leaders believe Biden’s 20,000 troops surge from 2022 will eventually return to the United States. A NATO diplomat said, “I would not be surprised if at some point [those troops] go back to their home base in America, the forces were sent at a height of emergency planning, so if they leave it would be, so to speak, a return to normalcy.”

During NATO meetings in Brussels on Thursday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio assured NATO allies that “President Trump has made clear he supports NATO. We’re going to remain in NATO.” However, he explained that the Trump administration would still advocate for NATO members to increase their defense spending.

While European leaders have called for the U.S. to provide military security guarantees to Ukraine, some experts applaud attempts to push Europeans to fund their own defense.

“It is in Washington’s interest to facilitate a European takeover of NATO,” said the Cato Institute’s Doug Bandow. “They (Europeans) have an inherent right to self-defense. But a friendly push enhanced by helpful advice and practical experience could accelerate the end of European defense dependence, a process that some predict could otherwise take a decade.”

The U.S. Army said in a press release that this “this is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” It also reinforces that that our troop deployments put real lives at risk and there is no shame in asking if the tens of thousands of young American men and women we are sending there are strategically necessary.


Top photo credit: 2025-04-01 Vilnius Lithuania. People with flowers, candles and USA flags pay their last respect for four US Army soldiers who died in an M88 Hercules vehicle accident in Pabrade training area, near US Embassy in Vilnius on Tuesday 1 of April 2025. (BNS/Scanpix via Reuters Connect)
google cta
Analysis | Latest
Vice President JD Vance Azerbaijan Armenia
U.S. Vice President JD Vance gets out of a car before boarding Air Force Two upon departure for Azerbaijan, at Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan, Armenia, February 10, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Pool

VP Vance’s timely TRIPP to the South Caucasus

Washington Politics

Vice President JD Vance’s regional tour to Armenia and Azerbaijan this week — the highest level visit by an American official to the South Caucasus since Vice President Joe Biden went to Georgia in 2009 — demonstrates that Washington is not ignoring Yerevan and Baku and is taking an active role in their normalization process.

Vance’s stop in Armenia included an announcement that Yerevan has procured $11 million in U.S. defense systems — a first — in particular Shield AI’s V-BAT, an ISR unmanned aircraft system. It was also announced that the second stage of a groundbreaking AI supercomputer project led by Firebird, a U.S.-based AI cloud and infrastructure company, would commence after having secured American licensing for the sale and delivery of an additional 41,000 NVIDIA GB300 graphics processing units.

keep readingShow less
United Nations
Monitors at the United Nations General Assembly hall display the results of a vote on a resolution condemning the annexation of parts of Ukraine by Russia, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., October 12, 2022. REUTERS/David 'Dee' Delgado||

We're burying the rules based order. But what's next?

Global Crises

In a Davos speech widely praised for its intellectual rigor and willingness to confront established truths, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney finally laid the fiction of the “rules-based international order” to rest.

The “rules-based order” — or RBIO — was never a neutral description of the post-World War II system of international law and multilateral institutions. Rather, it was a discourse born out of insecurity over the West’s decline and unwillingness to share power. Aimed at preserving the power structures of the past by shaping the norms and standards of the future, the RBIO was invariably something that needed to be “defended” against those who were accused of opposing it, rather than an inclusive system that governed relations between all states.

keep readingShow less
china trump
President Donald Trump announces the creation of a critical minerals reserve during an event in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC on Monday, February 2, 2026. Trump announced the creation of “Project Vault,” a rare earth stockpile to lower reliance on China for rare earths and other resources. Photo by Bonnie Cash/Pool/Sipa USA

Trump vs. his China hawks

Asia-Pacific

In the year since President Donald Trump returned to the White House, China hawks have started to panic. Leading lights on U.S. policy toward Beijing now warn that Trump is “barreling toward a bad bargain” with the Chinese Communist Party. Matthew Pottinger, a key architect of Trump’s China policy in his first term, argues that the president has put Beijing in a “sweet spot” through his “baffling” policy decisions.

Even some congressional Republicans have criticized Trump’s approach, particularly following his decision in December to allow the sale of powerful Nvidia AI chips to China. “The CCP will use these highly advanced chips to strengthen its military capabilities and totalitarian surveillance,” argued Rep. John Moolenaar (R-Mich.), who chairs the influential Select Committee on Competition with China.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.