Follow us on social

ukraine war

Diplomacy Watch: Trump's 'gotta make a deal' on Ukraine

Other war developments suggest tensions are on the rise

Analysis | QiOSK

President-elect Donald Trump said early this week that the Ukraine war “has to stop” and that people are “dying at levels nobody has ever seen.”

“Gotta make a deal,” he said about Ukraine. He didn’t say whether a prospective deal could include Ukraine ceding territory to Russia, or deal with Ukraine’s ongoing requests for NATO membership.

Trump echoed similar sentiments in a recent TIME interview, where he said “the number of people dying…[is] not sustainable…It’s really an advantage to both sides to get this thing done.”

Putin likewise reiterated interest in diplomacy during his annual conference on December 19, saying that “If we meet with Mr. Trump, we will have things to discuss…We have always said that we are ready for both talks and compromises.”

"Soon, those Ukrainians who want to fight will run out, in my opinion, soon there will be no one left who wants to fight. We are ready, but the other side needs to be ready for both negotiations and compromises,” Putin said.

The Russian president also said he would ask ousted Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad, now in Russia, about the whereabouts of American journalist Austin Tice, who went missing in Syria 12 years prior.

For his part, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy posted on X Thursday after a meeting with the European Council. He seemed resigned to future talks, urging European unity heading into them:

"At the meeting of the European Council, I stressed that Europe and America must be at the table when the time comes. The EU, like Ukraine, must enter talks from a position of strength. Only coordinated efforts can bring lasting peace—not a pause Putin would exploit to buy time."

Trump and Putin may say they’re for a deal, and Zelenskyy is anticipating negotiations, but other factors suggest tensions are still on the rise.

In the rest of his X thread, Zelensky continued to press for tougher sanctions on Russia and more weapons from the West to fight them.

“This will remain crucial next year – supplying weapons, boosting production, and strengthening sanctions on Russia to push them toward diplomacy. Europe must stay strong,” he said. “In January, President Trump will intensify efforts to end the war. It’s up to us whether Europe supports him with a strong, united voice.”

Meanwhile, North Korean casualties have been reported over the last week, with Ukraine alleging DPRK fighters are present in the Russian region of Kursk. Ukraine previously seized territory in the Kursk region during a summer offensive; the area has since been wrought with heavy fighting.

The soldiers are part of a contingent of 10,000 North Korean troops the U.S. and Ukraine say were recently sent to Russia. A U.S. official speaking to the Associated Press this week said the Kursk fighters did not appear battle-hardened.

The State Department condemned the apparent North Korean-Russian collaboration in a joint statement with other, mostly Western, Foreign Ministries on Tuesday, stating that “direct DPRK support for Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine marks a dangerous expansion of the conflict.”

“We are deeply concerned about any political, military, or economic support that Russia may be providing to the DPRK’s illegal weapons programs, including weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery,” the statement read.

Also escalating tensions, Ukraine’s Security Service, or SBU, reportedly killed Russian Lt. Gen. Igor Kirillov this week in Moscow in a bomb attack. Russia’s security service subsequently said it detained an attack suspect, an Uzbek citizen recruited by Ukrainian intelligence. The Russian top state investigative agency is also looking into the death as a terrorism case. An SBU official said the SBU was responsible; Ukrainian presidential advisor Mykhailo Podolyak denied the claim.

The assassination follows others planned or carried out by Ukrainian forces in Russian-controlled territory, including the killing of Russian activist and blogger Vladlen Tatarsky last spring at a St. Petersburg cafe.

Notably, President-elect Donald Trump's new envoy to Ukraine, retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, criticized the recent attack on Kirillov. He remarked on Fox Business that “There are rules of warfare and there are certain things you just kind of don't do."

“When you're killing flag officers, general officers, admirals or generals in their hometown, it's kind of like you've extended it, and I don't think it's really smart to do it,” Kellogg said. It was also announced this week that Kellogg would be traveling to Ukraine and several European cities on a “fact-finding mission” in early January.

In other Ukraine war news this week:

As conflict continues, European states prepare for the worst. According to Aftonbladet, for example, newly-minted NATO member Sweden is reportedly building up to 500,000 gravesites — about 5% of Sweden’s total population — in case of direct conflict with Russia, though the sites may help bury fighters from other NATO member countries.

Putin announced at the Russian Defense Ministry's recent board meeting that Russia would begin to produce new hypersonic Oreshnik missiles in the "near future,” according to Politico. Putin had boasted about the weapon’s capabilities at his annual conference, saying “there is no chance of shooting down these Oreshnik missiles” due to their high speed — an estimated Mach 10, or 10 times the speed of sound. Russia reportedly used the missiles for the first time last month in a strike on Dnipro, Ukraine.

Russia launched 93 ballistic and cruise missiles and almost 200 drones in a major strike on Ukrainian infrastructure on December 13, according to AP. Many of the missiles fired were subsequently intercepted by Ukrainian forces.

From State Department Press Briefing on Dec. 16

State Department Spokesperson Matthew Miller called North Korean soldiers at Kursk “legitimate targets” in a December 16 State Department press briefing, saying “They entered a war and they are, as such, combatants and are legitimate targets for the Ukrainian military.”

According to Miller, the soldiers’ presence signals an “escalation” by Russia and North Korea. "We have seen North Korean soldiers who have been killed in action on the battlefield inside Russia. And if they were to cross the border into Ukraine, that would be yet another escalation by the government of Russia and also an escalation by the government of North Korea to send North Korean troops to prosecute a war of aggression against an independent, sovereign nation inside that nation's borders. That would absolutely be an escalation by the government of North Korea.”


Diplomacy Watch: Trump's 'gotta make a deal' on Ukraine
Analysis | QiOSK
Gaza Khan Younis famine
Top photo credit: Internally displaced elderly Palestinian man Salim Asfour, enters his family's tent in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, 04 August 2025. Photo by Moaz Abu Taha apaima / IMAGO Images.

Poll: 41% of Americans say Israel committing genocidal acts in Gaza

Middle East

Forty-one percent of Americans, including 67% of Democrats and 14% of Republicans, believe that Israeli military actions in Gaza constitute either “genocide” (22%) or are "akin to genocide" (19%), according to a new poll released Monday by the University of Maryland Critical Issues series.

Confirming a growing trend, younger respondents of both parties were more likely to say that Israel’s actions constitute genocide or the like.

keep readingShow less
Venezuela oil
Top photo credit: man rides a bicycle next to the "Oilworkers" statue, in Caracas, Venezuela, December 2, 2022. REUTERS/Gaby Oraa

US non-profits 'in the tank' for Exxon, Chevron over Venezuela oil

Washington Politics

On Friday, as three U.S. destroyers headed towards waters off of Venezuela and President Nicolás Maduro mobilized 4.5 million militiamen in response, Secretary of State Marco Rubio posted a one-word tweet: “#Guyana.”

The post included a screenshot of a statement from the Guyanese government, which echoed concerns from Washington about Venezuelan transnational organized crime, all but offering support for the military escalation. Those concerns are based on the debunked assertion that Maduro is the head of the “Cartel of the Suns,” using drugs and gang violence as a weapon of war against the U.S.

keep readingShow less
Philippines navy south china sea
Top photo credit: Philippine Navy personnel salute an Indian Navy vessel in the South China Sea, off the west coast of the Philippines, on Aug. 4, 2025, during their first naval exercise with India, a two-day event that started the previous day (Kyodo via Reuters Connect)

US stirring up more trouble in China-Philippines naval clash

Asia-Pacific

After calming down a little during the early part of this year, the South China Sea is on the boil again. Two serious incidents have brought home the fact that the situation is becoming critical, and a Philippines-China military crisis could happen anytime, potentially pulling the United States in.

On August 11, two Chinese vessels, one of which was a Chinese navy craft, collided while chasing a Philippine ship off Scarborough Shoal. The collision was serious, and several Chinese coast guard personnel possibly died in the collision. Any Chinese deaths would mark the first loss of life in the China-Philippine tussles in years.

keep readingShow less

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.