Follow us on social

google cta
Diplomacy Watch Donald Trump Putin Zelensky

Zelenskyy doubles down on Chinese fighters in Ukraine

Beijing denies its citizens are there in any official capacity

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

According to Ukraine’s President, Volodymy Zelenskyy, at least 155 Chinese nationals are fighting for Russia in Ukraine.

Ukrainian intelligence reportedly confirmed the identities of the 155 individuals, who Zelenskyy claims were recruited through social media advertisements. This comes after Ukraine captured two fighters claimed to be Chinese nationals earlier in the week.

A list provided by the Ukrainian intelligence agency claims that the more than 150 individuals have contracts dating to 2024 and are officially part of Russia’s military, in lower ranks. Zelenskyy has asserted that the Chinese government is aware of the fighters and that there are likely “many, many more.”

“These people arrive to the Russian Federation, to Moscow. Medical examinations last three to four days. Training centers are for one to two months. They fight on the territory of Ukraine,” said Zelenskyy.

For its part, China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs denied that Chinese citizens are fighting in Ukraine in any official capacity, calling the claims “groundless.”

“China is neither the creator nor a party to the Ukrainian crisis. We are a staunch supporter and active promoter of the peaceful resolution of the crisis,” said the department’s spokesperson, Lin Jian, in a press conference. Mr Jian added, "the Chinese government has always instructed its citizens to stay away from areas of armed conflict and avoid getting involved in the conflict in any form, especially avoiding participation in any party’s military operations.”

Beijing maintained economic and diplomatic ties with Moscow after Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 but has claimed neutrality in the conflict, not officially providing weapons or manpower, although Zekelnskyy has alleged the opposite.

The incentives behind joining the Russian military to fight in the war remain unconfirmed. “According to the prisoner, he joined the Russian military through an intermediary in China, paying RUB 300,000 ($3,500) for the opportunity to enlist in the Russian Armed Forces,” said the Luhansk Operational Tactical Group.

Regardless of whether Zelenskyy’s claims are entirely accurate, some experts question the significance of Chinese nationals volunteering to fight for Russia.

“Paid recruits from all across the world have signed up to fight for Russia, and, considering the large border and wide gamut of ties between the two countries, it's hardly a surprise that some Chinese soldiers can be found on the Russian side of the line of contact,” said the Quincy Institute’s Mark Episkopos. “But this is a very different proposition from the claim that there is any kind of large-scale, state-sponsored Chinese effort to send units of combat troops to the frontlines in Ukraine.”

Episkopos concluded that “there has been no evidence over the course of the Ukraine war that any country has engaged in systematic efforts along these lines.”

Indeed, foreign volunteers on both sides are widespread in the conflict, even from nations that have banned their citizens from participating. Volunteers from Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Serbia, and Moldova, among others, have assisted the Russians on the battlefield. Meanwhile, Ukraine has received volunteers for its foreign legion from many nations, including the United States, Georgia, South Korea, France, and Australia.

In other Ukraine War news this week:

The Wall Street Journal reports that Washington and Moscow participated in a prisoner swap on Thursday. The United States released dual German-Russian citizen Arthur Petrov, who was allegedly exporting microelectronics that are considered sensitive to national security. Russia freed Ksenia Karelina, an American-Russian dual citizen whom Russia charged for treason.

According to the Washington Post, Trump’s recent tariff announcement could harm Russia’s economy, even though he did not impose tariffs on Moscow. Russia’s oil has fallen 30% to about $52 a barrel as a result of the tariffs. Oil exports comprise about 30% of Russia’s economy and are subject to harsh sanctions from the United States and the European Union.

Russia has begun a new offensive in Ukraine’s northeast, according to Kyiv’s military chief, Oleksandr Syrskyi. Syrskyi said, "for several days, almost a week, we have been observing almost a doubling of the number of enemy attacks in all main directions (on the frontline)," according to Reuters.

Additionally, Zelenskyy confirmed on Monday that Ukrainian forces were in Belgorod, a border region of Russia north of Kharkiv. This incursion, reported by Reuters, marks the second time Ukrainian soldiers have been active in Russian territory.

Bloomberg reported that Zelenskyy had requested another package of military aid from the United States but that Kyiv was willing to pay for the weapons this time. The request totals $30 to $50 billion, but Zelenskyy is not asking for the package “free of charge." Ukraine could finance the deal through a direct payment or as part of the proposed mineral deal.

From the State Department’s April 8 press briefing

A reporter asked State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce about the upcoming talks between American and Russian delegations in Istanbul, Turkey. Bruce confirmed that talks were occurring on April 10 but that the Ukraine War was not on the agenda but that the talks would focus on embassy relations

Bruce confirmed that the administration was aware of reports that Ukrainian forces captured Chinese nationals, calling them “disturbing.” She went on to call China a “major enabler” of Russia’s effort in the war.


Top Photo Credit: Diplomacy Watch (Khody Akhavi)
Diplomacy Watch: Rubio recommits to NATO as peace talks flounder
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.