Follow us on social

google cta
Why is Facebook censoring Sy Hersh's Nord Stream report?

Why is Facebook censoring Sy Hersh's Nord Stream report?

The social media giant says his piece on US responsibility for blowing up the pipeline is false, allows other stories with proven dubious claims.

Reporting | Europe
google cta
google cta

Since the start of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, U.S. policy toward the conflict has inter-mingled uneasily with the U.S. government’s growing convergence with the social media platforms that make up today’s digital public square.

Tech companies have selectively relaxed their bans on violent and hate speech to align with Ukraine’s war effort, shuttered the accounts of media outlets critical of the war and U.S. policy to it, and seen a vast army of bots push content supporting Ukraine and its NATO partners. And now, Facebook is actively censoring and discouraging the sharing of Seymour Hersh’s reporting on the alleged U.S. role in the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines.

As of Thursday, if you try to share on Facebook the February 8 Substack post in which Hersh first laid out the anonymously sourced charge, you’ll first be met with a prompt informing you about “additional reporting” on the subject in the form of Norwegian fact-checking website Faktisk, and warning you that “pages and websites that repeatedly publish or share false news will see their overall distribution reduced and be restricted in other ways.”

If you decide to “share anyway,” Hersh’s piece is posted but blurred out, and labeled “false information” by the social media platform. (It’s since been unblurred and labeled “partly false information”). The phenomenon was first pointed out by Michael Shellenberger, and has since been replicated by others, including myself.

Besides labeling the post as false, Facebook also sent me a notification roughly 10 hours later informing me about the notice they’d added and that I had shared something that “includes information that independent fact-checkers said was partly false.” Facebook cautions that “people who repeatedly share false information might have their posts moved lower in News Feed,” suggesting that if I go on to share any other reporting that’s been challenged by fact-checkers, I’ll be punished by having my account’s reach throttled.

Fb-hersh-1024x786

Yet the fact-check in question from Faktisk — Norwegian for “Actually” — leans heavily on open source intelligence whose reliability has itself been recently challenged. Hersh has previously fended off criticism that his reporting doesn’t match up with public data about ship movements by arguing this information can be manipulated. Indeed, in a piece putting forward its own, alternate theory to Hersh’s, the New York Times itself noted that the pipelines weren’t closely monitored by commercial or government sensors, and that there were roughly 45 “ghost ships” whose location transponders weren’t on.

Faktisk, incidentally, is a partnership between Norway's two largest online news outlets, VG and Dagbladet, and its public broadcaster NRK, which is much like the New York Times, Washington Post and PBS starting a joint fact-checking project.* Given that Norway is implicated in a major way in the alleged attack in Hersh's report, this raises the uncomfortable specter of a possible conflict of interest — especially as Faktisk's editor-in-chief is a former NATO officer himself.

Quite apart from this, however, like their US counterparts, mainstream Norwegian press outlets —including VG and Dagbladet specifically — have long been criticized for their war-friendliness and for reflecting elite opinion more generally, including that of the US government.

Of course, Hersh’s story is yet to be corroborated, and it’s entirely possible that, even if it’s ever proven true in the broad strokes, it ends up wrong on specific details. But while the story’s veracity is far from certain, it’s hard to see how it can be unequivocally declared “false” — to the point of threatening to throttle the accounts of those sharing it — given the admitted flaws in open source intelligence, and given the circumstantial evidence backing the central claim of Hersh’s high-level anonymous source: that the attack was a U.S. operation. Western officials have now told the press there’s little enthusiasm for finding out the truth, fearing it could be a friendly government. 

It’s also vastly different to the treatment Facebook metes out to theories that are at least equally dubious, but have been disseminated through legacy news outlets instead of Substack. The New York Times’ alternate theory of a “pro-Ukrainian group” unconnected to any government being behind the attack can be posted on Facebook without issue, as can the Die Zeit report alleging that this pro-Ukrainian group was made up of six people who used a rented yacht.

Yet both stories have been challenged since publication. Swedish investigators have reaffirmed that they believe a state actor is the most likely culprit, and law enforcement officials told the Washington Post they’re skeptical about the veracity of the German report, doubting both the claims that a yacht was used or that a six-person crew could have pulled off the operation, including laying the explosives by hand. There were doubts about the Times’ theory to begin with, given that the U.S. officials promulgating it loaded it up with qualifiers, and stressed there were “no firm conclusions” while refusing to discuss the evidence they based it on.

Mainstream stories alleging that Russia destroyed its own pipeline also don’t meet any pushback from the platform. That includes this Bloomberg piece about a German official blaming Moscow, this Insider piece that cites “Russia experts” who argue the attack was a “‘warning shot’ from Russian president Vladimir Putin to the West,” and this Telegraph piece that purports to explain “why Putin would want to blow up Nord Stream 2, and the advantages it gives him,” asserting that it’s “ripped straight from [his] playbook of panic, escalation and misdirection.”

This is despite the fact that such accusations clash with the now-official narrative of a pro-Ukrainian, non-state group, and that even Western officials now openly doubt Russia’s culpability for attacking its own pipeline, which could cost half a billion dollars to repair by one estimate.

This attempt to hobble the spread of Hersh’s story on Facebook is a small taste of the alarming implications of when tech censorship combines with government pressure, and suggests how easily independent reporting can be throttled while allowing official misinformation to proliferate. By stifling open, public debate about an issue of such grave and urgent importance, the result is not just threatening to a free press, but to U.S. democracy more broadly.

Editor's Note: This story has been updated with information about Faktisk's (Norway) public funding.


Images: iEngelhardt via Reuters Connect and kovop via shutterstock.com|
google cta
Reporting | Europe
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi 首相官邸 (Cabinet Public Affairs Office)

Takaichi 101: How to torpedo relations with China in a month

Asia-Pacific

On November 7, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi stated that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could undoubtedly be “a situation that threatens Japan’s survival,” thereby implying that Tokyo could respond by dispatching Self-Defense Forces.

This statement triggered the worst crisis in Sino-Japanese relations in over a decade because it reflected a transformation in Japan’s security policy discourse, defense posture, and U.S.-Japan defense cooperation in recent years. Understanding this transformation requires dissecting the context as well as content of Takaichi’s parliamentary remarks.

keep readingShow less
Starmer, Macron, Merz G7
Top photo credit: Prime Minister Keir Starmer meets Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and António Costa, President of the European Council at the G7 world leaders summit in Kananaskis, June 15, 2025. Picture by Simon Dawson / No 10 Downing Street

The Europeans pushing the NATO poison pill

Europe

The recent flurry of diplomatic activity surrounding Ukraine has revealed a stark transatlantic divide. While high level American and Ukrainian officials have been negotiating the U.S. peace plan in Geneva, European powers have been scrambling to influence a process from which they risk being sidelined.

While Europe has to be eventually involved in a settlement of the biggest war on its territory after World War II, so far it’s been acting more like a spoiler than a constructive player.

keep readingShow less
Sudan
Top image credit: A Sudanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed combat vehicle as Sudan's army retakes ground and some displaced residents return to ravaged capital in the state of Khartoum Sudan March 26, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig
Will Sudan attack the UAE?

Saudi leans in hard to get UAE out of Sudan civil war

Middle East

As Saudi Arabia’s powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), swept through Washington last week, the agenda was predictably packed with deals: a trillion-dollar investment pledge, access to advanced F-35 fighter jets, and coveted American AI technology dominated the headlines. Yet tucked within these transactions was a significant development for the civil war in Sudan.

Speaking at the U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum President Donald Trump said that Sudan “was not on my charts,” viewing the conflict as “just something that was crazy and out of control” until the Saudi leader pressed the issue. “His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump recounted, adding that MBS framed it as an opportunity for greatness.

The crown prince’s intervention highlights a crucial new reality that the path to peace, or continued war, in Sudan now runs even more directly through the escalating rivalry between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The fate of Sudan is being forged in the Gulf, and its future will be decided by which side has more sway in Trump’s White House.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.