Follow us on social

google cta
2021-05-12t171027z_1620861461_dpam210512x90x030490_rtrfipp_4_politics-conflict-government-unrest-defence-police

New Israeli government challenges US on Ukraine, Palestinians

Benjamin Netanyahu is poised to deepen the divide between Washington and Tel Aviv on a wide range of issues.

Europe
google cta
google cta

Just days after Israeli politician Benjamin Netanyahu returned to power, Israel is poised to make a change in its approach to the war in Ukraine.

“On the issue of Russia and Ukraine, there is one thing that we will certainly be doing, and that is less talking about it in public,” Eli Cohen, the government’s foreign minister, said in a speech Monday before noting that Tel Aviv’s humanitarian aid to Kyiv will continue. Cohen also revealed that he planned to speak Tuesday with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who Israeli leaders have shunned since the February invasion.

The vague shift in policy received blowback from U.S. commentators and politicians, including ardently pro-Israel Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). “[T]he idea that Israel should speak less about Russia’s criminal invasion of Ukraine is a bit unnerving,” Graham tweeted after the speech.

Prior to the speech, Netanyahu reportedly pressured Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to abstain from a UN vote that would mandate that the International Court of Justice issue a legal opinion on Israeli actions in the occupied Palestinian territories. 

Ukraine, which had previously supported the measure, opted not to attend the late December vote, reportedly in hopes that Tel Aviv would repay the favor by providing Kyiv with sophisticated missile defense systems. Israel has so far opted against sending such weapons to Ukraine, in large part because of its sensitive relationship with Russia in Syria, and Cohen’s speech suggests that Netanyahu has no interest in changing that policy.

The controversial moves highlight the extent to which Netanyahu’s new government, which includes several notorious far-right politicians, will ruffle feathers in Washington, where the Middle Eastern country has long enjoyed bipartisan support.

Outside of Russian issues, Netanyahu’s team has also signaled a desire to step up repressive policies in Jerusalem and the West Bank. His government announced Monday that it will evict over 1,000 Palestinians from the West Bank region of Masafer Yatta in a move that a leading Israeli human rights group called a “fast-tracked war crime.”

And on Tuesday, Minister of National Security Itamar Ben Gvir — a far-right politician who Netanyahu has put in charge of Israeli police — made a provocative visit to the Haram al-Sharif. Also known as the Temple Mount, the area is one of the holiest sites in Islam and Judaism and a consistent flashpoint in Arab-Israeli affairs.

Washington’s ambassador to Israel, Tom Nides, warned after the visit that the U.S. wants to preserve the “status quo” around the holy sites and that “actions that prevent that are unacceptable.”

“We have been very clear in our conversations with the Israeli government on this issue,” Nides told Axios reporter Barak Ravid.


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (C) receives operational updates from the IDF Chief-of-Staff Aviv Kochavi and commander of the Israeli Air Force Amikam Norkin. May 12, 2021. (Deutsche Presse-Agentur/Reuters)
google cta
Europe
Vice President JD Vance Azerbaijan Armenia
U.S. Vice President JD Vance gets out of a car before boarding Air Force Two upon departure for Azerbaijan, at Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan, Armenia, February 10, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Pool

VP Vance’s timely TRIPP to the South Caucasus

Washington Politics

Vice President JD Vance’s regional tour to Armenia and Azerbaijan this week — the highest level visit by an American official to the South Caucasus since Vice President Joe Biden went to Georgia in 2009 — demonstrates that Washington is not ignoring Yerevan and Baku and is taking an active role in their normalization process.

Vance’s stop in Armenia included an announcement that Yerevan has procured $11 million in U.S. defense systems — a first — in particular Shield AI’s V-BAT, an ISR unmanned aircraft system. It was also announced that the second stage of a groundbreaking AI supercomputer project led by Firebird, a U.S.-based AI cloud and infrastructure company, would commence after having secured American licensing for the sale and delivery of an additional 41,000 NVIDIA GB300 graphics processing units.

keep readingShow less
United Nations
Monitors at the United Nations General Assembly hall display the results of a vote on a resolution condemning the annexation of parts of Ukraine by Russia, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., October 12, 2022. REUTERS/David 'Dee' Delgado||

We're burying the rules based order. But what's next?

Global Crises

In a Davos speech widely praised for its intellectual rigor and willingness to confront established truths, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney finally laid the fiction of the “rules-based international order” to rest.

The “rules-based order” — or RBIO — was never a neutral description of the post-World War II system of international law and multilateral institutions. Rather, it was a discourse born out of insecurity over the West’s decline and unwillingness to share power. Aimed at preserving the power structures of the past by shaping the norms and standards of the future, the RBIO was invariably something that needed to be “defended” against those who were accused of opposing it, rather than an inclusive system that governed relations between all states.

keep readingShow less
china trump
President Donald Trump announces the creation of a critical minerals reserve during an event in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC on Monday, February 2, 2026. Trump announced the creation of “Project Vault,” a rare earth stockpile to lower reliance on China for rare earths and other resources. Photo by Bonnie Cash/Pool/Sipa USA

Trump vs. his China hawks

Asia-Pacific

In the year since President Donald Trump returned to the White House, China hawks have started to panic. Leading lights on U.S. policy toward Beijing now warn that Trump is “barreling toward a bad bargain” with the Chinese Communist Party. Matthew Pottinger, a key architect of Trump’s China policy in his first term, argues that the president has put Beijing in a “sweet spot” through his “baffling” policy decisions.

Even some congressional Republicans have criticized Trump’s approach, particularly following his decision in December to allow the sale of powerful Nvidia AI chips to China. “The CCP will use these highly advanced chips to strengthen its military capabilities and totalitarian surveillance,” argued Rep. John Moolenaar (R-Mich.), who chairs the influential Select Committee on Competition with China.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.