Follow us on social

UPDATE: US troops in Iraq, Syria fending off spate of armed attacks

UPDATE: US troops in Iraq, Syria fending off spate of armed attacks

Washington officials acknowledging more rocket and drone incidents on bases last week than was earlier reported.

Reporting | QiOSK

UPDATE 10/25: The Pentagon is blaming Iranian-backed militias for a wave of attacks including several that were not reported earlier on Thursday and over the weekend. According to the Washington Post, in addition to the incidents below, there were attacks on Oct. 19 at Mission Support Site Euphrates in Syria, Ain al-Asad Air Base, and the Baghdad Diplomatic Support Center in Iraq, with no casualties or infrastructure damage in those incidents.

Furthermore, there were one-way drone attacks between Friday and Sunday, hitting unoccupied areas in Bashur, Iraq, and targeting Ain al-Asad and al-Tanf bases.

The military is now saying some 24 US troops have sustained minor injuries, with 20 affected in one incident, but they have since returned to work.

“What we are seeing,” said Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder, Pentagon spokesman, “is the prospect for more significant escalation against U.S. forces and personnel across the region in the very near-term coming from Iranian proxy forces and ultimately from Iran.”


The U.S. military has been quietly reacting to a spate of drone and rocket attacks against its troops in the Middle East this week, mindful that the region has become a tinderbox and the chances for the situation slipping into a wider war are growing every day.

“Right now, this conflict is contained between Israel and Hamas, and we’re going to do everything we can to ensure deterrence in the region, so that this does not become a broader” conflict, said Pentagon spokesman Brig. General Patrick Ryder to reporters on Thursday. He added that any armed U.S. response “will come at a time and a manner of our choosing.”

He was answering questions about two missiles and several drones that were fired from Yemen and intercepted by an anti-missile system on a U.S. Navy ship in the Red Sea on Thursday. Officials say believe the drones and missiles were launched by what the New York Times called "pro-Iranian Houthis" and may have been headed to Israel. “We cannot say for certain what these missiles and drones were targeting, but they were launched from Yemen heading north along the Red Sea, potentially towards targets in Israel,” Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder, the Pentagon spokesman, told reporters.

Meanwhile, U.S. bases in Iraq and reportedly Syria, too, have been targeted by drones that reports have suggested but have yet to be confirmed were fired by Iranian-backed militias. Though the estimated 900 troops in Syria and 2,500 in Iraq have been targeted on and off before for years, there has been an "uptick" in the last week acknowledged Ryder, and at least two of the attacks resulted in minor injuries. Here is the breakdown:

On Wednesday, the Pentagon reported that the military had "engaged" two drones headed to the Al-Asad air base where American troops are stationed in the western part of Iraq. Both were intercepted but resulted in "minor injuries." On the same day, a third drone was "engaged" at a base in Irbil, Northern Iraq, and destroyed, and no injuries were reported.

“In this moment of heightened alert, we are vigilantly monitoring the situation in Iraq and the region,” according to a statement from U.S. Central Command “U.S. forces will defend U.S. and Coalition forces against any threat.”

Also on Wednesday, U.S. officials reported two drones attacked the U.S. occupied base at Al-Tanf in Syria, which has taken repeated fire over the last three years. One was destroyed and the other "impacted" causing minor injuries. Another attack was reported in Northeastern Syria the same day. The Pentagon has not yet confirmed reports of a third attack in Syria that same day but said a U.S. contractor had died of a heart attack sheltering in place after a false alarm at the Al-Asad base in Iraq.

On Thursday, sources and officials said that rockets and drones had been fired again at U.S. troops stationed at the Al-Asad base in Iraq with "multiple blasts" reportedly heard from inside the installation. Reports indicated that U.S. troops had come under attack at a base near Baghdad's international airport as well. There were few details on these fresh attacks as of Friday morning.





Photo credi: Robert Hale/Shutterstock
Reporting | QiOSK
Friedrich Merz
Top photo credit: German Prime Minister-in-waiting Friedrich Merz (Shutterstock.Penofoto)

German leaders miscalculated popular will for war spending

Europe

Recent polls show the center right Christian Democrats (CDU-CSU) headed by prospective chancellor Friedrich Merz losing ground against the populist right Alternative for Germany (AfD), even before the new government has been formed.

The obvious explanation is widespread popular dissatisfaction with last month’s vote pressed through the outgoing parliament by the CDU-CSU and presumptive coalition partner the SPD (with the Greens) to allow unlimited increases in defense spending. This entailed disabling the constitutional “debt brake” introduced in 2009 to curb deficits and public debt.

keep readingShow less
Bernie Sanders Chris Van Hollen
Top image credit: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) speaks during a press conference regarding legislation that would block offensive U.S. weapons sales to Israel, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., November 19, 2024. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz
Will Senate vote signal a wider shift away from Israel?

Can Bernie stop billions in new US weapons going to Israel?

Middle East

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and National Security Advisor Mike Waltz have been roundly criticized for the security lapse that put journalist Jeffrey Goldberg into a Signal chat where administration officials discussed bombing Houthi forces in Yemen, to the point where some, like Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) have called for their resignations.

But the focus on the process ignores the content of the conversation, and the far greater crime of continuing to provide weapons that are inflaming conflicts in the Middle East and enabling Israel’s war on Gaza, which has resulted in the deaths of over 50,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians.

keep readingShow less
Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?
Top Image Credit: The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), foreground, leads a formation of Carrier Strike Group Five ships as Air Force B-52 Stratofortress aircraft and Navy F/A-18 Hornet aircraft pass overhead for a photo exercise during Valiant Shield 2018 in the Philippine Sea Sept. 17, 2018. The biennial, U.S. only, field-training exercise focuses on integration of joint training among the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. This is the seventh exercise in the Valiant Shield series that began in 2006. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erwin Miciano)

Is US bombing Somalia just because it can?

QiOSK

U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted an airstrike in Somalia against ISIS targets on Saturday, killing “multiple ISIS-Somalia operatives.” It was the eighth such strike in the short time that Trump has been in office, reflecting a quiet, but deadly American campaign in a part, of the world that remains far below the public radar.

“AFRICOM, alongside the Federal Government of Somalia and Somali Armed Forces, continues to take action to degrade ISIS-Somalia's ability to plan and conduct attacks that threaten the U.S. homeland, our forces, and our civilians abroad,” a Sunday AFRICOM press release stated.

keep readingShow less

Trump transition

Latest

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.