Follow us on social

google cta
Congress doesn't know how much Ukraine money is left: Sen.Warner

Congress doesn't know how much Ukraine money is left: Sen.Warner

As the battle over funding for Kyiv heats up, there is widespread confusion over how much cash is left in the coffers.

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

Lawmakers are in the dark about how much money the Biden administration has left to spend on Ukraine, according to Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), the chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

“I still don't have 100% clarity,” Warner said Tuesday. “Of the $113 billion that we've already appropriated — $62 billion, roughly, on the defense side — how much of that was left? There was a little bit of ‘hide the ball.’”

The “lack of clarity” made it difficult to make the case for new Ukraine funding, which the House stripped from an emergency measure that staved off a government shutdown until November, according to Warner.

There is widespread confusion over how much Ukraine money the Biden administration has left to spend as it pushes for an additional $25 billion aid package for Kyiv. As RS reported yesterday, there appears to be a large amount of humanitarian and financial support money remaining, and Defense Department officials say they still have roughly $5.5 billion in funding to send surplus military equipment to Ukraine.

Warner, for his part, said he’s seen public reports indicating that there’s roughly $5 billion left in military cash, while others have put that number as low as $1.9 billion.

The comments came during an event with Punchbowl News, a journalism startup focused on Capitol Hill. RTX, formerly known as Raytheon Technologies, sponsored the event, which was followed by a friendly interview with one of the military contractor’s executives.

Companies like RTX were a key part of Warner’s argument for why the U.S. must continue to fund Ukraine’s defense against Russia. “The overwhelming majority of this [money] is going to, frankly, the American defense industry,” he said.

Virginia, Warner’s home state, is the largest recipient of American military spending, raking in $62.7 billion in defense funds last year, roughly $42 billion of which went to contractors. Notably, RTX was not a leading contractor in Virginia last year, though that could change following the company’s 2022 decision to relocate its headquarters to Arlington, a move that one analyst called “WD-40” for the “revolving door” between the Pentagon and the weapons industry.

Warner gave a thorough case for the benefits of continuing to arm Kyiv and endorsed a recent advertisement from “Republicans for Ukraine” that highlighted the extent to which the war has hurt Russia without putting American troops in harm’s way.

The prominent lawmaker also argued that a robust defense of Ukraine is the best way to stop China from taking back Taiwan. “If [Russian President Vladimir] Putin is successful in Ukraine, that is a total greenlight for [Chinese President] Xi [Jinping] and China,” Warner argued. “If you don't get that, you flunk Geopolitics 101.”


Photo credit: Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) speaks during a Punchbowl News event in Washington, DC, on October 3, 2023. (Screengrab via punchbowl.news)
google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade
Top image credit: U.S. President Donald Trump talks to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts on the day of his speech to a joint session of Congress, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 4, 2025. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

Why SCOTUS won’t deter Trump’s desire to weaponize trade

QiOSK

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court today ruled against the White House on a key economic initiative of the Trump administration, concluding that the International Economic Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give the president the right to impose tariffs.

The ruling was not really a surprise; the tone of the questioning by several justices in early November was overwhelmingly skeptical of the administration’s argument, as prediction markets rightly concluded. Given the likelihood of this result, it should also come as no surprise that the Trump administration has already been plotting ways to work around the decision.

keep readingShow less
Trump Iran
Top image credit: Lucas Parker and FotoField via shutterstock.com

No, even a 'small attack' on Iran will lead to war

QiOSK

The Wall Street Journal reports that President Donald Trump is considering a small attack to force Iran to agree to his nuclear deal, and if Tehran refuses, escalate the attacks until Iran either agrees or the regime falls.

Here’s why this won’t work.

keep readingShow less
KC-135 Stratotanker
US Air Force (USAF) KC-135R Stratotanker, 92nd Air Refueling Wing (ARW), Fairchild AFB, Washington (US Air Force photo)

Military tankers for Iran attack deploying near Iraq War levels

QiOSK

Military experts say the U.S. asset mobilization in the Middle East theater is now resembling a real staging for war, with the prevailing chatter more about "when" than "if" an attack will happen.

One of the data points catching the eye of these experts is the number of air tankers — military aircraft used to refuel combat fighters in midair — that are in or headed to the region. Open source intelligence analysts say there are at least 108 such tankers either in CENTCOM theater as of Friday (31) or in strategic locations outside that command or staging in Europe. Most are KC-135 Stratotankers, made by Boeing. (Editor's note: This information has been updated).

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.