Follow us on social

google cta
||

Diplomacy Watch: Ukraine takes the war inside Russia

Will the assault give Kyiv leverage at the negotiating table?

Reporting | QiOSK
google cta
google cta

For the first time since the February 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Ukrainian military this week launched what appears to be a major operation inside Russian territory, raising questions about why Kyiv is doing this now, what its overall strategic goals are, and whether Ukraine is violating prohibitions on the use of U.S.-supplied weapons inside Russia.

While Ukrainian officials have so far largely remained quiet about the operation, Russian sources are saying that the assault has involved at least 1,000 Ukrainian troops (quite possibly thousands more) supported by tanks, armored vehicles, drones and artillery. Those forces have reportedly advanced as far as six miles from the Ukrainian border into the Kursk region of Russia, toward the town of Sudzha, where Russian natural gas flows into Europe through a pipeline in Ukraine.

According to Reuters, some pro-Russian bloggers are also saying the Ukrainian forces are advancing toward a nuclear power station almost 40 miles northeast of Sudzha, but that claim has yet to be verified.

While some observers have questioned the strategic value of such a Ukrainian operation, possible motives could be to show Russians that they are increasingly vulnerable as the war drags on, to stop gas flows into Europe, to boost Ukrainian morale, or to force Moscow to redeploy defense forces from elsewhere along the Ukrainian front.

Or, the assault could be related to larger diplomatic efforts. According to the Washington Post, Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, said on Ukrainian TV this week that — without specifically referencing the assault — any Ukrainian incursion into Russian territory “could better Ukraine’s position during future negotiations with Russia to end the war.”

The Biden administration had previously forbidden Ukraine from using U.S.-supplied weapons for any attacks inside Russian territory in an effort to prevent escalating the conflict. However, President Biden relaxed those rules in May, saying that the Ukrainian military could hit military targets inside Russia that were supporting Moscow’s offensive against the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv in the northeast. In June, the Pentagon announced that those rules would be relaxed further so that Ukraine could use U.S.-supplied weapons to attack military targets inside Russia anywhere along the border, not just near Kharkiv.

State Department spokesman Matthew Miller on Thursday said he wouldn’t comment on the Ukrainian assault but insisted that Russian attacks on Ukraine had come from the Kursk region, and thus Ukraine was adhering to the new, more relaxed policy. “Yes, in the area where [the Ukrainians] are currently operating across the Russian border we have seen attacks come from there,” he said.

In other diplomatic news related to the war in Ukraine:

Reuters reported that Niger’s ruling junta cut diplomatic ties with Ukraine this week in response to Kyiv purportedly supporting rebel groups with ties to terrorist groups — including al-Qaida — in neighboring Mali that were fighting the Wagner Group, a Russian mercenary force. Mali’s junta had previously cut ties with Ukraine over the incident. The Russians accused Kyiv of opening an “African front” in their ongoing war in Eastern Europe.

— Quincy Institute Eurasia Research Fellow Mark Episkipos wonders whether we’ve seen a similar pattern of U.S. decision making regarding the war in Ukraine. “America’s trademark technical prowess … failed to pierce the fog of war in Vietnam because it proceeded from strategically unsound assumptions about the conflict’s broader dynamics and refused to correct course at key junctures,” he wrote this week in RS. “The variables at play in Ukraine are undoubtedly quite different, but the potential folly — wading knee deep into a protracted conflict without a realistic theory of victory — is much the same, and the stakes are similarly high.”


Diplomacy Watch: A peace summit without Russia

Diplomacy Watch: What’s the point of Swiss peace summit?

google cta
Reporting | QiOSK
As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base
TOP IMAGE CREDIT: An aerial view of Diego Garcia, the Chagossian Island home to one of the U.S. military's 750 worldwide bases. The UK handed sovereignty of the islands back to Mauritius, with the stipulation that the U.S. must be allowed to continue its base's operation on Diego Garcia for the next 99 years. (Kev1ar82 / Shutterstock.com).

As Iran strikes loom, US and UK fight over Indian Ocean base

QiOSK

As the U.S. surges troops to the Middle East, a battle is brewing over a strategically significant American base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would oppose any effort to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, arguing that a U.S. base on the island of Diego Garcia may be necessary to “eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous [Iranian] Regime.” The comment came just a day after the State Department reiterated its support for the U.K.’s decision to give up sovereignty over the islands while maintaining a 99-year lease for the base.

keep readingShow less
defense tech trade shows
Top photo credit: United Arab Emirates Dubai October ‎14, ‎2024 GITEX GLOBAL global tech show (Tarek Ibrahim/Shutterstock)

In Silicon Valley, Hegseth is just one link in the brave new kill chain

Military Industrial Complex

The Special Competitive Studies Project (SCSP) expo is the marquee event of the military tech industry. All the big names in the “kill chain-meets-self-checkout” sector gather for this event in the Washington D.C. convention center annually.

Unfortunately I missed this year because they didn’t approve my registration. My article in these pages last year might have something to do with it.

keep readingShow less
Haiti
Top photo credit: A man protests holding a Haitian flag while Haitian security forces guard the Prime Minister's office and the headquarters of the Transitional Presidential Council (CPT) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 6, 2026. REUTERS/Egeder Pq Fildor

Further US intervention in Haiti would be worst Trump move of all

Global Crises

Early last week, U.S. warships and Coast Guard boats arrived off the coast of Port-au-Prince, as confirmed by the American Embassy in Haiti. On land in the nation’s capital, tensions were building as the mandate of Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council neared expiration.

The mandate expired Feb. 7, leaving U.S.-backed Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé in power. Experts believe the warships were a show of force from Washington to demonstrate that the U.S. was willing to impose its influence, encouraging the council to step down. It did.

keep readingShow less
google cta
Want more of our stories on Google?
Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

LATEST

QIOSK

Newsletter

Subscribe now to our weekly round-up and don't miss a beat with your favorite RS contributors and reporters, as well as staff analysis, opinion, and news promoting a positive, non-partisan vision of U.S. foreign policy.